Rattle does keckste-sechste: New release special.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Rattle does keckste-sechste: New release special.

Bruckner Symphony No.6 (New “Urtext” Edition 2016 by Benjamin Gunnar-Cohrs).
    LSO/Rattle. LSO Live New Release, Qobuz-S 24/96.

With wonderfully subtle phrasing and dynamics, exquisitely flexible tempi riding every mood, such clear, soft wind and horn counterpoints in an explosively virtuosic LSO response, this is a terrific Bruckner 6th, one of the best I’ve heard for some time (and I’ve heard quite a few).

The morse-code motif is initially soft, mysterious, slightly understated; but the underlying pulse is firm and clear, never lacking weight into the thrillingly brassy climaxes; into the gesangs and third subject groups the gearshifts are never stiff or awkward.
    But early first-movement energies are aptly held in reserve; tension and repressed urgency through the gesangs as well. Serious longterm thinking - and sounding - going on here, gathering strength and brilliance through the development/recap dovetail and only releasing its full fire-power in the very last bars.
    One of Bruckner’s greatest inspirations, the three-wave coda cumulates magnificently; but - crucially - the conclusion itself is still more magnificent. How wonderfully thought-through this passage is.
    The movement is marvellously done, with an irresistible momentum; you’ll probably want to replay it before proceeding further.

A lovely, flowingly natural adagio, the LSO strings outstandingly articulate and expressive, with those clear, soft horn and wind counterpoints to relish dreamily again. Not a note goes to waste or is lost to routine. (I began to imagine how they would play the andante from the 2nd Symphony).
    A scherzo perfectly witty, deft and characterful…tongue-in-cheek, yet evocative of the nocturne.

Then that very tricky, complex, volatile finale; so naturally judged in pace and dynamic, you feel it can only be this way, on this day. The signatory 2+3 figure that gradually insinuates into the finale is as convincingly natural, fluid and songful, woven so seamlessly in, as I’ve ever enjoyed.
    Rattle can dwell upon the lyrical, reflective episodes (there are quite a few in this astonishingly concise movement) without a hint of indulgence or exaggeration. He has achieved - or arrived at - an understanding of this difficult piece at once intuitive and reflective.

The Barbican can never be the ideal Bruckner soundspace, but the slightly dull or muted sound at lower levels and the lack of a vividly present acoustic is excitingly offset by that explosive dynamic response, and the sheer body of orchestral sound, as the levels rise; pianissimos are magically soft at the other extreme (even in the absence of a space around them). Brass-topped climaxes are splendid; string-dominated ones, say in the adagio, can harden just a little.
    In some readings the finale coda can seem justifiably ambiguous, as if there may be more to say; well, not here - it is really thrilling, splendidly conclusive!
  • mikealdren
    • Nov 2010

Yes Nigel Simeone was equally impressed on RR yesterday and the excerpts sounded good, a definite 'must buy' at LSO live prices.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

I had a ticket for one of the concerts from which this recording was taken last January but didn't feel up to going
      I'll put this on my Christmas list.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bella Kemp
        • Aug 2014

Wonderfully written - as ever - Jayne. I do so enjoy reading your reviews and now look forward to hearing this performance.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Well I'm not a great admirer of Rattle - I was highly impressed when I last saw him conduct the LSO but I can't say I was particularly moved by what he did - but I am a great admirer of this work and I haven't yet come upon a recorded performance that really brings out what I would like to hear. Maybe this one will... but I'm going to be a bit busy in the coming week without much time for Bruckner symphonies. Maybe I'll be able to squeeze in the first movement somewhere. Looking forward to it.

Comment

• Master Jacques
            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            ... I am a great admirer of this work and I haven't yet come upon a recorded performance that really brings out what I would like to hear. Maybe this one will...
            It's one of my favourites too. What's your feeling about Horst Stein and the Vienna Philharmonic, on Decca Eloquence? That's my current benchmark, at least.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I heard the recording yesterday and was mightily impressed.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                It's one of my favourites too. What's your feeling about Horst Stein and the Vienna Philharmonic, on Decca Eloquence? That's my current benchmark, at least.
                The Stein has many beauties and a noble place in Brucknerian history, but I must admit to finding that Viennese climactic grandiloquence a little overbearing nowadays: it allows for too little contrast between the differently functioning climaxes themselves.
                Stein often misses the Brucknerian humour & sense of the pastoral too, especially in the scherzo (the slightly slower Rattle finds so much more in that movement than most conductors; such subtle, expressive articulation; he makes you smile.).
                A fine recording nonetheless, but it wouldn't be among my favourites. Deryck Cooke has some interesting observations about it in the 4/75 Gramophone, with many positives; but largely preferred the classic Klemperer or Haitink (his first, RCOA one). Bruckner 6ths, let alone good Bruckner 6ths, were hardly thick on the ground back then.

I've just played the whole LSO/Rattle performance again, off of the CD this time, and marvelled it yet again: the infinite subtlety of phrase, detail, dynamic; the balance of lyrical against thrustful energies; the sheer freshness and articulation of it all, yet so fluent, naturally attuned to the idiom.

The deepest understanding; and no grandiloquence.....
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 28-10-19, 10:19.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

Less than £5 for 24 bit from 7digital....

Not sure when I’ll get around to it, but rude not to at that price after such a strong recommendation...

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks to Jayne for steering us towards this performance which I have just greatly enjoyed on Spotify when I should be tucked up in bed. Good to have the record of a live show. I reminisce ..... I heard this symphony live with the Gewandhaus Orchestra under Kurt Masur in Leipzig early 70s, as a young chap with a new girlfriend (now wife) who was a native of that city, neither of us knowing the work at all, so all was new. For some reason we sat in the first row, which I don't normally favour and got totally bowled over by the sound and overall experience. Quite a memorable night.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                      Less than £5 for 24 bit from 7digital....

Not sure when I’ll get around to it, but rude not to at that price after such a strong recommendation...
                      Well-spotted - £4.76 for a hi-res download is a bit of a steal. I have recently booked a number of LSO/Rattle concerts, having much enjoyed what I've heard him conduct in the last year or so in the Barbican. He clearly tries to do his best for each piece in terms of instrumental placement in the hall as a way of dealing with its somewhat intractable acoustical qualities.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        Well-spotted - £4.76 for a hi-res download is a bit of a steal. I have recently booked a number of LSO/Rattle concerts, having much enjoyed what I've heard him conduct in the last year or so in the Barbican. He clearly tries to do his best for each piece in terms of instrumental placement in the hall as a way of dealing with its somewhat intractable acoustical qualities.
                        Yes, love that he has the second fiddles stage left for C18/C19 and stage right for later stuff!

That said, in his generally excellent BPO Beethoven remake, the seconds pretty much go missing in the sound-stage for the last minute or so of the 7th's finale

Comment

Working...
                        X