I will start the ball rolling with

Boult's schubert 9 - bizarrely only available as a download

Kyung Wha Chung's Elgar and Walton Concertos
  • barber olly

For starters

Classical
    1 NatPO Gerhardt French Music was on RCA RL25094
    2 CSO Levine Petrouchka RL12615
    3 NSOL Agoult Claire de Lune SPA111 please top up with the NSOL Boult Bach-Bantock Sheep may safely graze.

Non-classical
    1 Georgie Fame Fame at Last
    2 Georgie Fame Sweet Things
    3 Georgie Fame Sound Venture
    Last edited by Guest; 20-07-11, 13:08. Reason: not finished

Comment

• mathias broucek
      • Nov 2010

The Tennstedt / EMI live Mahler 6 and 7. Now available in a cheapish boxed set but in conjunction with his studio cycle which I (like most other Tennstedt fans) already have!

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

One LP, in HMV's HQS series I believe, which has never been reissued on CD, is a glorious disc of Monteverdi madrigals and Cavalli arias in which the great Hugues Cuenod appeared along with Heather Harper and Gerald English. It was one of my top ten LPs at a time when I had 4000 of them. (Where did I store them?) Every track was a gem.

Raymond Leppard was the director of the ensemble. He is a man whose star has faded almost entirely and yet he brought life and vivacity to a range of music whose performance before his arrival was amateurish in the extreme (out-of-tune recorders, anyone?) and agony to sit through. And I speak as a lover of early music, medieval, renaissance or baroque!

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

I know I've said this time and time again on these boards, but I really would love to have Jorg Demus' Schumann piano pieces (Kinderszenen etc) that he recorded on DHM in the 60's on early pianos. They have a special haunting quality for me and to the best of my knowledge they have never been available on CD.

Comment

• Mandryka

The Rudolf Kempe Meistersingers from 1956 is, amazingly, still oop and has been for nearly twenty years. You can get it as a download, but this version - acclaimed by many as the finest ever - should be on disc.

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

Alf-Prufrock post 4. I've got that LP. Its HMV HQS 1086, issued in 1967 as no. 22 in the HMV Baroque Library. 'Italian Baroque Music of Monteverdi and Cavalli', with Heather Harper, Gerald English and Hugues Cuenod and the Bath Festival Ensemble cond. Raymond Leppard. The BFE was Robert Masters and Sydney Humphreys (violins), Walter Gerhard and Margaret Major (violas), Derek Simpson (cello and continuo) and John Gray (double bass).

I havent listed all the individual items, they are mostly excerpts and the detail would entail a lot of typing, but will certainly oblige if anyone is interested.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                I know I've said this time and time again on these boards, but I really would love to have Jorg Demus' Schumann piano pieces (Kinderszenen etc) that he recorded on DHM in the 60's on early pianos. They have a special haunting quality for me and to the best of my knowledge they have never been available on CD.
                Not sure if this is what you have in mind: Joerg Demus - the complete piano works by Robert Schumann, Volume VII on Nuova Era which has the Kreisleriana Op. 16 and Drei Sonaten fuer die Jugend Op. 118. The "Stereo ADD" CD was issued in 1989.
                Vol. VII is the only one I have, but seems to imply there might be other volumes, possibly with the Kinderszenen etc.
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Mandryka: The Kempe Meistersinger was recently reissued but not by EMI.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My own candidate for reissue is the 1972 premiere recording of the Shostakovich Symphony No 15 on Melodiya conducted by Maxim Shostakovich. I just cannot understand why such a landmark recording has never appeared on CD. If anyone with any influence reads this please use it!
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                    Not sure if this is what you have in mind: Joerg Demus - the complete piano works by Robert Schumann, Volume VII on Nuova Era which has the Kreisleriana Op. 16 and Drei Sonaten fuer die Jugend Op. 118. The "Stereo ADD" CD was issued in 1989.
                    Vol. VII is the only one I have, but seems to imply there might be other volumes, possibly with the Kinderszenen etc.
                    Thanks, Pianorak, but I'm afraid these are later recordings that Demus made on a modern piano - my heart leaped when I first saw them, but unfortunately they don't contain the DHM performances I long for!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

The two EMI volumes on CSD 1487 /8 Music if Shakespeare's Time, a programme arranged by Diana Poulton , with among others the Dolmetsch Consort, Wilfred Brown and the Viols of the Schola Cantorum Basiliensis. Not in the least in line with modern practice, but delightful all the same.

In the long lost days of CD Masters I did get one request broadcast, and that was extracts from The Damnation of Faust with Rita Gorr, Nicolai Gedda and Gerard Souzay and the Paris Opera Orchestra conducted by Andre Cluytens, a marvellous LP but sadly only of highlights from the complete work. ASD 430, one of my most treasured discs.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

In the late 60's I got to know Schumann's Dichterliebe via a DG recording with Ernst Haefliger and Erik Werba. I still have the LP in a yellowing dog-eared sleeve but it rather too scratched to enjoy. I have about a dozen CD versions by other singers but I am very attached to Haefliger (superb diction) and would love to see it reissued on CD.

Comment

• PJPJ
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          I will start the ball rolling with

Boult's schubert 9 - bizarrely only available as a download

Kyung Wha Chung's Elgar and Walton Concertos
                          Do you mean Boult's stereo recording? It's a lovely reading - I was surprised it hasn't been available new for a few years and managed to get a used copy a couple of years ago.

I'd like Berglund's Bournemouth recording of Nielsen 5.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Suggested by Alf-Prufrock

One LP, in HMV's HQS series I believe, which has never been reissued on CD, is a glorious disc of Monteverdi madrigals and Cavalli arias in which the great Hugues Cuenod appeared along with Heather Harper and Gerald English. It was one of my top ten LPs at a time when I had 4000 of them. (Where did I store them?) Every track was a gem.
                            A wonderful disc. I bought it as a result of hearing Heather Harper and Hughes Cuenod at the Proms. I loved her voice: she could beat everyone with her great big creamy soprano for Mahler (Solti's Mahler 8) and Richard Strauss opera (rivalling Leontyne Price) yet could bring it down to the most firm intimate sound for Handel, Monteverdi, Mozart etc where she rivalled the other Price, Margaret. On this disc she actually sounds extraordinarily like Janet Baker. As for Hughes Cuenod's voice: every phrase and syllable is filled with subtlety and in many pieces delightful innuendo. He and Gerald English blend so well in the duets though their voices could not be more different. Raymond Leppard gives everything that bounce of enthusiasm with which he introduced my generation to the delights of Monteverdi and Cavalli without the OTT accretions his opera performances later accrued where his orchestras grew more and more extravagant (3 organs, 5 chitaronnes, 7 guitars, 101 harpsichords...I exaggerate, only a little ).

I am not usually a fan of vocal gobbets but this being a mixture of solo madrigals, arias and ensemble pieces seemed perfection.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              Thanks, Pianorak, but I'm afraid these are later recordings that Demus made on a modern piano - my heart leaped when I first saw them, but unfortunately they don't contain the DHM performances I long for!
                              As a rider to this, I see that Jan Vermeulen has just brought out a 2 CD set of Schumann piano pieces on a romantic piano for Accent - I know that Vinteuil was highly enthusiastic about Vermeulen's previous Schubert releases....I wonder if he has had a chance to hear this new Schumann one and if so would he recommend it?

Comment

Working...
                              X