X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Boulez conducts Mahler mystery

Just pre-ordered this from Amazon assuming it was his DG recordings in a boxed set.

However there's nothing on DG's website about a boxed set. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Am considering cancelling the order
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
    Just pre-ordered this from Amazon assuming it was his DG recordings in a boxed set.

However there's nothing on DG's website about a boxed set. Does anyone have any ideas about this? Am considering cancelling the order
    Whatever it is, it looks to be a reference to catalogue number 945049, which is scheduled for release in about a year's time. All very strange.

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

It's not on amazon.com

Here's amazon.de

Looking at the price for a single disc, I guess this is a Japanese import.

The UK branch gives a 2012 release date, so you have plenty of time to cancel.

PS Wrong guess - amazon Japan has it as a UK import

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post

Looks very odd mathias broucek - it's not being released til 10 July 2012 and number of discs is .... ONE!

EDIT: cross-posts - sorry!

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Thanks guys. Will cancel

Comment

• Mahlerei

Also the UK listing says it's a Decca release. Very odd.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Mahlerei, I think "Decca" is now the generic name adopted by Universal.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks.

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

It seems a shame to cancel such an intriguing item !

Perhaps I should order !

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Although a year seems like a long time, my guess would be that it is the Boulez Mahler cycle, repackaged à la Bartok and Stravinsky. If I didn't have most of his cycle on individual CDs, I'd be tempted to order it just to see - and there is something (expensively) appealing about box sets

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Think I might have solved this one.

I see that Boulez and the VPO are performing Mahler's Das Klagende Lied in Salzburg this week. I think that a recording of this is what is being offered here as this would complete his cycle for DG.

Incidentally, a recording of the July 28 concert is being broadcast on the Austrian Radio, ORF1, on Sunday, Aug 7 at 10.03 BST.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Mahlerei, I think "Decca" is now the generic name adopted by Universal.
                        Especially for former Philips recordings, as Universal has lost the rights to use the Philips name and logo, according to the terms agreed during the negotiations for the buy of what then was Polygram (Polydor[DGG]/Phonogram[Philips]/Decca), ten years ago.

Comment

Working...
                        X