X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Victor de Sabata recordings

Known the 1953 Tosca for yonks but recently added the DG set of his recordings.

A superb Brahms 4 and frankly a Death and transfiguration that appears to knock all others into a cocked hat to start with.

Any other favourite recordings ? I see a Pastoral on Naxos and sone Debussy on Testament.
  • silvestrione
    • Jan 2011

I was looking forward to some replies on this one, as I have particularly enjoyed his Brahms 4 and Beethoven 6 (though not recently enough to make any detailed comments), and was hoping to hear if the Debussy was worth following up. There was a survey by RO recently in the Gramophone, but I no longer have that issue.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Despite my weakness for all those boxed sets featuring 'The Great Conductors' of yesteryear I have to admit that Victor de Sabata has passed me by completely. I've heard of him, naturally, (I believe that Karajan was an admirer) but I don't have any of his recordings on my shelves. A forgotten conductor nowadays?
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Conchis
        Banned
        • Jun 2014

Oddly enough, I came across a recording of his today in a charity shop (Dvorak 9/Mendelssohn 4) but I passed it over becauase it was of repertoire I despise.

The 1953 Tosca is justly famous and I believe there is a Tristan of similar vintage, though in execrable poor sound (shades of the Toscanini Salzburg Meisetersinger). He would be a much bigger name today if he’d been properly recorded.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
          I was looking forward to some replies on this one, as I have particularly enjoyed his Brahms 4 and Beethoven 6 (though not recently enough to make any detailed comments), and was hoping to hear if the Debussy was worth following up. There was a survey by RO recently in the Gramophone, but I no longer have that issue.
          It is perhaps worth pointing out that, yes - he was a good, maybe great conductor, BUT he does not have a large recorded legacy!

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Apart from the famous Tosca on the Callas Studio box, I seem to have only two other recordings - a short extract from that Tristan sung by the excellent Max Lorenz (on the big Wagner's Vision Bayreuth box) and a bracing Carnaval Romain with LSO from 1946 (on YouTube). I think I might go to Spoty and listen to some more recordings.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Apart from the famous Tosca on the Callas Studio box, I seem to have only two other recordings - a short extract from that Tristan sung by the excellent Max Lorenz (on the big Wagner's Vision Bayreuth box) and a bracing Carnaval Romain with LSO from 1946 (on YouTube). I think I might go to Spoty and listen to some more recordings.
              DG released an excellent 4CD set in 2017 hope it is still available.

I tracked down the 1947 Pastoral on Naxos coupled with his own work Juventus and short works from Stravinsky,Glazounov and Mossolov.

Only listened to the Pastoral which is very much premier league.

Comment

• akiralx
                • Oct 2011

Don't forget the Hyperion CD of his tone poems as a composer, with the LPO conducted by Ceccato (his son-in law) - he was obviously accomplished. Also Chailly recorded his '1001 Nights' music quite recently.

Comment

Working...
                X