And joining me next week for Building a Library is.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zola
    • May 2011

And joining me next week for Building a Library is.....

........so it seems it will still be the twofer format. The good news is that the reviewer will be Marina Frolova-Walker. Though for my tastes somewhat wasted on a review of Prokofiev's Classical Symphony. But hopefully she can explain if this is more than a pastiche ?
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by zola View Post
    ........so it seems it will still be the twofer format. The good news is that the reviewer will be Marina Frolova-Walker. Though for my tastes somewhat wasted on a review of Prokofiev's Classical Symphony. But hopefully she can explain if this is more than a pastiche ?
    In an age of emotional excess and symphonic prolixity, Prokofiev warned that the end was nigh.
    This is a rough translation of his Diary:
    When our classically inclined musicians and professors (to my mind faux-classical) hear this symphony, they will be bound to scream in protest at this new example of Prokofiev’s insolence. They will say,"He will not let even Mozart lie quiet in his grave but must come prodding him with dirty hands, contaminating the pure classical pearls with horrible Prokofievian dissonances."
    My real friends will see that the style of my symphony is precisely Mozartian classicism and will value it accordingly, while the public will no doubt just be content to hear happy and uncomplicated music which it will, of course, applaud.

Comment

Working...
    X