X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mal
    • Dec 2016

The Jupiter Project: Mozart in the nineteenth-century drawing room

Why? Cheaper than hiring an orchestra? Have RR a policy of starting with a downer so everything can only get better as the programme progresses?
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

To be fair, the disc is an attempt at demonstrating how the majority of folk would have heard the music at home, in arrangements for flute, piano etc.

I found the 'Marriage of Figaro' overture arranged by Hummel rather underwhelming, but that's because of having had the luxury of hearing it in its orchestral guise. All the same, I find the project a fascinating one, and typical of good old Hyperion to take it on.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Mal View Post
      Why? Cheaper than hiring an orchestra? Have RR a policy of starting with a downer so everything can only get better as the programme progresses?
      You must know that this is how people often heard and enjoyed music by Mozart and many other composers’ works then, which to me is an interesting way to listen to music. Charles Avison’s Scarlatti arrangements are enjoyable in their own way and Brahms’s German Requiem with the piano accompaniment is rather interesting too. The CD is a project and not a thesis. If you don’t like it or not interested in, that’s fine but nothing to make an issue of surely?

Comment

• Mal
        • Dec 2016

I liked the Sibelius review. The extract from "Two serious songs" was wonderful, and something I hadn't heard before. Also an exciting performance of the Violin concerto, recorded a month after Sibelius' death, Ida Haendel sounding very serious and interesting, with invigorating support from Karel Ancerl and the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Best you stay well away from:

then and leave it for others, such as me, to appreciate and enjoy.

Comment

• David-G
            • Mar 2012

I found it delightful and very interesting.

Comment

Working...
            X