X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Gounod Symphonies - Iceland SO/Tortelier

Inspired by IGI’s very positive review in Gramophone I bought this disc What a delightful pair of works packed with good tunes and much joie de vivre as IGI says . I am amazed these are not repertory pieces.Perhaps this recording will do something about that .
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Inspired by IGI’s very positive review in Gramophone I bought this disc What a delightful pair of works packed with good tunes and much joie de vivre as IGI says . I am amazed these are not repertory pieces.Perhaps this recording will do something about that .
    Lovely aren’t they ? I bought this on Suffolkcoastal’s * recommendation of the works, but haven’t investigated further.

I agree , amazing that they aren’t played more. But then even some big name composers have great works which don’t get performed very often. I’m still waiting to see Schumann’s Spring Symphony programmed anywhere, though no doubt it gets a run out from time to time. Or Schubert 2 might be another. On the same tack, a local amateur orchestra is performing Dvorak’s Czech Suite this weekend, another wonderful work that doesn’t seem to get much airtime. Perhaps we should be grateful R3 iand CFM aren’t killing them with love !

* I think it was Suffy. Not heard much from him recently, trust all is well with him. He is another fount of knowledge hereabouts.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Sounds like perfect Summer music, which I can't recall hearing before. Thanks for the highlighting, into Qobuz favourites, will listen later....
      It's all the more welcome since I've found it hard to find the music I want to hear recently, with all the health issues going on. Thanks again Barbirollians.

Remarkable band, the Iceland SO.... very adventurous with their lovely D'Indy series with Gamba on Chandos, and never-otherwise-recorded Skalkottas with BIS...

Comment

• Master Jacques
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Remarkable band, the Iceland SO.... very adventurous with their lovely D'Indy series with Gamba on Chandos, and never-otherwise-recorded Skalkottas with BIS...
        Remarkable indeed. I hope that now they're got their financial ducks in a row once again, they might continue with their series of Malcolm Williamson symphonies, which stopped just as it was reaching the interesting bits.

On Gounod, he's enjoying a notable revival in France, and there have been some good performances of the operas (of which the best is Mireille) coming along on DVD and CD lately.

Anyone enjoying the symphonies would warm to his excellent works for piano and orchestra, collected on Hyperion's Romantic Piano Concerto series (No.62). They're peculiar, as they were written for the briefly-fashionable pedal piano, but utterly delightful - especially the Suite Concertante, which I can only describe as Victorian Poulenc!

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

The Second Symphony is particularly lovely especially the slow movement and finale

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

Many, many years ago I did my dissertation on the symphony in the mid-19th century and I was impressed with Gounod's contributions - especially the 2nd. I seem to remember an EMI LP (Plasson?) and subsequently bought a nice Marriner / ASMF version on CD

PS his Mass is a LOT of fun

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
              Many, many years ago I did my dissertation on the symphony in the mid-19th century and I was impressed with Gounod's contributions - especially the 2nd. I seem to remember an EMI LP (Plasson?) and subsequently bought a nice Marriner / ASMF version on CD

PS his Mass is a LOT of fun

Even though it too (like Rossini's) is Solennelle!
              At least it doesn't claim to be Petite.

(I have a recording by Pretre on an HMV Classics CD.)

Comment

Working...
              X