• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sidneyfox
    It's not a personal attack, I'm just saying that a professional such as yourself should know better.
    Though it does appear that you totally misunderstood the point being made: it was not intended to be disapproving, as you stated. I read it as being strong approval which it was. I don't think we have become so squeamish about our use of language that we can't even use the word s*******d, have we?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Though it does appear that you totally misunderstood the point being made: it was not intended to be disapproving, as you stated. I read it as being strong approval which it was. I don't think we have become so squeamish about our use of language that we can't even use the word s*******d, have we?
      Yes - this is how I understood the comment; as one of approval, rather than criticism. And, yes, I can see that the "sectioned" comment could well be distressing and even offensive to people who have witnessed or been subject to such a process - but this is how casually language is used in simile. People regularly refer to things being "like a cancer", which always derails my attention and causes distress - but rarely do they intend causing any such reaction, and that is the point: is someone intending to cause offence? I'm sure that anyone who has literally shot themselves in the foot would find my own casual metaphorical use of the expression insensitive.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Precisely!!

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Anyway back to the point of the thread if you see a copy worth snapping up for Verrett alone though Pavarotti in particular is still in good voice.

Comment

• sidneyfox
            Banned
            • Jan 2016

I understood entirely the point being made and probably would agree with the point, if I too had listened to the performance (IMHO Barbirollians seems to have a good grasp of what 'good' singing and a 'good performance is about). And I do not think for one moment that he was trying to be offensive or disapproving. But I think that if one is to communicate how well a performer has managed to 'get inside the role' and deliver a compellingly realistic performance, one could, especially in this day and age, express oneself better and not resort to frivolous insensitive expressions. And it's not about being squeamish, it's about empathy and respect. I expect better from a forum like this.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sidneyfox View Post
              I understood entirely the point being made [… ]I expect better from a forum like this.
              It has improved lately. And you did say: "Can you not communicate your disapproval of this recording in a less demeaning way?" which gave the impression that you thought the member concerned was attempting to communicate his disapproval of this recording - which he wasn't; quite the reverse.

But perhaps the matter could be laid to rest there: it has rather disrupted the discussion.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• sidneyfox
                Banned
                • Jan 2016

It has improved lately.
                You're not best placed to be a judge of that.

And you did say: "Can you not communicate your disapproval of this recording in a less demeaning way?" which gave the impression that you thought the member concerned was attempting to communicate his disapproval of this recording - which he wasn't; quite the reverse.
                Yes, you are right - mea culpa. That's what I said but not what I meant.

But perhaps the matter could be laid to rest there: it has rather disrupted the discussion.
                Agreed

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

I ordered what looked like a very cheap Marketplace set of the Naive Vivaldi 'Juditha Triumphans'. When I got it, it was just a disc of the highlights, not the complete work. A clear case of the wrong photo being used on the product description.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

I remember reading a news item many years ago, in the LP era, which reported about a customer who bought an LP that declared it was Tchaikovsky's 4th on the cover, had a label which stated it was Tchaikovsky's 5th but turned out to be Tchaikovsky's 6th when played!
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      I remember reading a news item many years ago, in the LP era, which reported about a customer who bought an LP that declared it was Tchaikovsky's 4th on the cover, had a label which stated it was Tchaikovsky's 5th but turned out to be Tchaikovsky's 6th when played!
                      That reminds me of an LP I bought when I was about 12 or 13 which was supposed to be Pictures from an Exhibition and Night on Bare Mountain. It was one of those bargain basement Camden Classics discs from Woolworths - 50p, I think. Night on BM was on there but the rest of the disc was a selection of other pieces. Over the next couple of years I managed to identify the other works, and it turned out it was a Chicago SO/Reiner disc of Russian classics by Tchaikovsky, Glinka, Borodin and Kabalevsky as well as the Mussorgsky. The old Gramophone Classical Catalogue was no help - and indeed neither was Gramophone itself, when I wrote to them to see if they could identify the more obscure pieces. Now, that disc is available on CD - ironically with Pictures as a coupling!

Comment

• mikealdren
                        • Nov 2010

I have a couple of CDs of old Oistrakh recordings that I bought in the states, glad I bought both because the documentation is fine but disks themselves have the wrong labels printed on them; disk a. has the label for disk b. and vice versa.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

The delightful 2-CD set of complete chamber music of Debussy (plus a little Ravel) by the Talich Quartet on Caliope, has the CD labels themselves 'in reverse' ie CD 1 has the label for CD 2........ etc

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

One of the best CD editing foul-ups must be here

The same track contains the last mov't of the Suite Op 6 and the first of the Sonata Op 40
                            My copy is years old and I see on Amazon that you can now get it with a pink cover (wow!), so it's possible they've re-edited it. But the fact that Amazon's MP3 download listing still has the two movements together suggests they haven't bothered

A pity when IMHO the disc is a must-have for the wonderful Lambeth Walk variations, the var's in the style of! Chopin, Verdi, LvB, WAM, Schubert, Wagner and Liszt. Check it out here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myu4I1s2F1Q
                            Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 22-06-19, 12:51.
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Just remembered that when I worked years ago in a WHS record department, somebody brought back an MFP LP saying 'It's the same on both sides.' I thought he must mean there was the same fault like bad surfaces on both sides. But no, it really did have two Side 1s!

Possibly a true collector's piece?
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                              X