Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

I can’t imagine not owning a recording of this lovely work.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      I can’t imagine not owning a recording of this lovely work.
      Nor me, and there are several good ones available at economy class prices!
      Last edited by cloughie; 07-06-19, 09:22.

Comment

• mikealdren
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
        For those of you, like me, who own no recordings of this work, there's a winning analysis of its is structure and originality by Stephen Johnson on the BBC SOUNDS website.
        Listening now, thanks for the link.

You really need a recording of this lovely work and there are lots around however I would probably start with Suk or Oistrakh.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Including 4 off radio, I have no fewer than 23 recordings of the Dvorak VC!
          I bet you don't have the one by RICHARD TOGNETTI and the Australian Chamber Orchestra on ABC, recorded live in concert in the wonderful acoustic of the Brisbane concert hall, conducted by 'yours truly'..!

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Tony View Post
            I bet you don't have the one by RICHARD TOGNETTI and the Australian Chamber Orchestra on ABC, recorded live in concert in the wonderful acoustic of the Brisbane concert hall, conducted by 'yours truly'..!
            No that has until now not hit my radar!

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
              Listening now, thanks for the link.

You really need a recording of this lovely work and there are lots around however I would probably start with Suk or Oistrakh.
              Perhaps, I should explain why I have never bought a CD. I suspect that many of you will recognise the 'it follows me around' syndrome: the work that pops us regularly, but unbidden, at concerts you've chosen because of the rest of the programme. Two works inveigle themselves into my concerts: Rach PC#3 and the Dvorak VC. Of the two the Dvorak is surprising as it was a rarity 50 years ago. I've suffered many sub-par performances of the Dvorak, and, as a result, I've taken against it.

I'm now in Detox: I've bought a score of the Rach and Stephen Johnson has opened my ears to the Dvorak. I shall buy a CD of the latter and am 'all eyes and ears'. So... thank you to all who are contributing to this thread.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                • Nov 2010

Perhaps, I should explain why I have never bought a CD. I suspect that many of you will recognise the 'it follows me around' syndrome: the work that pops us regularly, but unbidden, at concerts you've chosen because of the rest of the programme. Two works inveigle themselves into my concerts: Rach PC#3 and the Dvorak VC. Of the two the Dvorak is surprising as it was a rarity 50 years ago. I've suffered many sub-par performances of the Dvorak, and, as a result, I've taken against it.

I'm now in Detox: I've bought a score of the Rach and Stephen Johnson has opened my ears to the Dvorak. I shall buy a CD of the latter and am 'all eyes and ears'. So... thank you to all who are contributing to this thread.
                If you PM me I'll send you the TOGNETTI CD for the cost of only the postage!

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

I've got only the one CD of the Dvorak VC: Pamela Frank with Mackerras and the Czech PO. I've heard it twice in concert recently/fairly recently with Faust/LSO/Haitink and Mutter/Pittsburgh SO/Honeck.

I think I need another recording and will probably go for the Mutter/Honeck at some point.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Well you’ve missed out all these years you could have bought the widely available MFP Suk/CPO/Ancerl at an affordable, even for impoverished students, price and enjoyed the wonders of the work - you still can but now at Supraphon CD prices!

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      I've got only the one CD of the Dvorak VC: Pamela Frank with Mackerras and the Czech PO. I've heard it twice in concert recently/fairly recently with Faust/LSO/Haitink and Mutter/Pittsburgh SO/Honeck.

I think I need another recording and will probably go for the Mutter/Honeck at some point.
                      Do try Suk/Ancerl. I’ve had it for many years - on Supraphon coupled with the Romance. Lovely!

Comment

• edashtav
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                        If you PM me I'll send you the TOGNETTI CD for the cost of only the postage!
                        Thanks, Tony... that will be a grand starting point for me!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Do try Suk/Ancerl. I’ve had it for many years - on Supraphon coupled with the Romance. Lovely!
                          but I would put in a word for the live Ida Haendel recording on Hanssler Classics.

Comment

• Edgy 2
                            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            Only one version here, but I'm happy enough with it: Tasmin Little/RLPO/Handley.

[Host: Should this thread be moved to Recordings in Discussion?]
                            I love this recording and the Bruch coupling is very good too,I will be listening to it very shortly
                            “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              but I would put in a word for the live Ida Haendel recording on Hanssler Classics.
                              Do you mean this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ida-Haendel.../dp/B003AXNSHQ ? Most probably.

There is a much earlier version in the Milestones of a Legend box (listening now) - which might have been recorded in 1947 (sounds better than that ... but very close violin sound) - which can be heard on Qobuz. National SO, with Ranki.

The newer version might be on Napster, though one could just take a punt and buy it! Just spotted it on Qobuz too - https://open.qobuz.com/track/1908633 The conductor is Hans Müller-Kray.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                                • Jan 2014

[QUOTE=Dave2002;741748]Do you mean this one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ida-Haendel.../dp/B003AXNSHQ ? Most probably.

That can be found on streaming services (Google Play music; also on Naxos Music Library. (NML: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-library/page2 )).

There was a Dutton re-issue of an earlier recording which can be searched out, but 2nd hand copies are a bit pricey and I'm not sure which version was so highly recommended. (EDIT - The Dutton is NSO Rankl)
                                Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 08-06-19, 11:36.

Comment

Working...
                                X