X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Dvorak Violin Concerto - favourite recording

I think I probably have far too many recordings of this piece . From the 1930sMenuhin, the wonderful live Ida Haendel , Suk with both Ancerl and Neumann, Perlman,KWC,Faust and Mutter.

Ida just about shades it but is now run mighty close by the stunning Julia Fischer account that arrived today .Super lifelike recording too.

Which recording is your fave ?
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I think I probably have far too many recordings of this piece . From the 1930sMenuhin, the wonderful live Ida Haendel , Suk with both Ancerl and Neumann, Perlman,KWC,Faust and Mutter.

Ida just about shades it but is now run mighty close by the stunning Julia Fischer account that arrived today .Super lifelike recording too.

Which recording is your fave ?
    Suk and Milstein

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Only one version here, but I'm happy enough with it: Tasmin Little/RLPO/Handley.

[Host: Should this thread be moved to Recordings in Discussion?]

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Suk/Ancerl is for me the one to beat, and I prefer to have the Romance as a coupling, also Perlman, Peinemann also good as is Milstein. It is a sunny, uplifting work!

Comment

• mikealdren
          • Nov 2010

As above, I like Faust and Suk, I'd add Oistrakh, Gimpel and Příhoda to your 'A' list. I seem to have lots of recordings, Chang, Midori, Perlman, Peinnemann, Vengerov and Zehetmair haven't left a lasting impression, I probably need to do listen again.

I have two Milstein recordings (Dorati and Steinberg), two Oistrakh (Kondrashin and Ancerl) and three of Příhoda, very much his speciality!

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
            As above, I like Faust and Suk, I'd add Oistrakh, Gimpel and Příhoda to your 'A' list. I seem to have lots of recordings, Chang, Midori, Perlman, Peinnemann, Vengerov and Zehetmair haven't left a lasting impression, I probably need to do listen again.

I have two Milstein recordings (Dorati and Steinberg), two Oistrakh (Kondrashin and Ancerl) and three of Příhoda, very much his speciality!
            I didn’t realize that Oistrakh had recorded it and the one with Ancerl would be worth investigating . Is that on Supraphon? I have most of the Ancerl Gold discs but that may have slipped me by.
            In general, while I really latched on to the piece in my youth and played my Suk/Ancerl recording to death, I find the finale boringly repetitive, even by Dvorak standards. I think the most enjoyable experience with it since that times was a concert with James Ehnes performing, probably 25 years ago now,. He was a last minute substitute for an indisposed Pamela Frank and was electrifying. I’ve been following him ever since

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I have three recordings: the Accardo/LSO/Davis (my personal favourite), Ricci/StLSO/Susskind, and Stern/NYPO/Mitropoulos (a recording of a broadcast from 1951).

Delightful work - one of my favourites. (That teasing cross-rhythm opening the finale; the pun pointed out by a single quaver up-beat on the tune's repeat: what a cheeky dumky Dvorak could be!)
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

The Dvorák Violin Concerto I play most is Anne-Sophie Mutter, Berliner Philharmoniker / Manfred Honeck c/w Romance, Mazurek, Humoresque on DG

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Golden oldie....
                  Edith Peinemann/Czech Phil/Maag....

I had this on an HDTT tape transfer at 24/96, can't find it now, but very fond memories.... the orchestra for this music....lovely LP art.
                  IIRC, it has been out on Eloquence...
                  Listen to unlimited or download Dvorak: Violin Concerto; Serenade for Strings by Edith Peinemann in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

My first was the Suk/ Ancerl on a Music for Pleasure LP, about 85p new in the early 70s. Still on the shelves and still my favourite Supplemented it with the Accardo/ Davis beloved of fhg and on CD the Ricci/ Susskind version he's also mentioned. fhg: was this from the famous Superdrug boxed-sets-for-pennies offer like mine (2CDs with all three of AD's concertos plus 4 violin or cello concertante movements, Firkusny and Nelsova the other soloists)?

Guess I could find space for a top-flight modern version - we'll see. Though my need for a new version of the Elgar vln sonata the following week is more pressing...

PS Just twigged that this isn't a thread for a forthcoming BaL - DOH!
                    Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 05-06-19, 23:02. Reason: DOH!
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      fhg: was this from the famous Superdrug boxed-sets-for-pennies offer like mine (2CDs with all three of AD's concertos plus 4 violin or cello concertante movements, Firkusny and Nelsova the other soloists)?
                      - a very good set (although I didn't get mine from Superdrug): the Piano Concerto is, I believe, the "cut" version, but if so, I prefer it this way.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

I have two CD recordings, both excellent

Modern: Akiko Suwanai (violin), Budapest Festival Orchestra/Iván Fischer.

Older: David Oistrakh, USSR State Symphony Symphony Orchestra, Kirill Kondrashin - Melodiya

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          - a very good set (although I didn't get mine from Superdrug): the Piano Concerto is, I believe, the "cut" version, but if so, I prefer it this way.
                          It is indeed the cut version and I much prefer it uncut, though Firkusny makes a very good fist of what's left.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Including 4 off radio, I have no fewer than 23 recordings of the Dvorak VC!

Comment

• edashtav
                              • Jul 2012

For those of you, like me, who own no recordings of this work, there's a winning analysis of its is structure and originality by Stephen Johnson on the BBC SOUNDS website.

Comment

Working...
                              X