X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Comedy in recordings of opera

Putting across the comedy in an opera is so often very much a question of acting and direction . I never thought an opera found be as funny as the ROH La Fille du Regiment with Dessey and Flores which I saw at the ROH ( but with Colin Lee) and on DVD .i have been struck listening again this week how much more amusing the Pritchard - Cotrubas/ Domingo recording of L’Elisir d’Amore is that the Sutherland/Pavarotti version where the singing is superlative but the acting is non-existent .

Any other comic opera recordings that are truly amusing ?
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Putting across the comedy in an opera is so often very much a question of acting and direction . I never thought an opera found be as funny as the ROH La Fille du Regiment with Dessey and Flores which I saw at the ROH ( but with Colin Lee) and on DVD .i have been struck listening again this week how much more amusing the Pritchard - Cotrubas/ Domingo recording of L’Elisir d’Amore is that the Sutherland/Pavarotti version where the singing is superlative but the acting is non-existent .

Any other comic opera recordings that are truly amusing ?
    Hello Barbirollians,

I have quite a large DVD/Blu-ray collection and a precious gem both for performance and amusement is Donizetti's Don Pasquale starring Anna Netrebko as Norina and the late John Del Carlo as Don Pasquale.

Last edited by Stanfordian; 19-05-19, 09:53.

Comment

Working...
    X