NEW RELEASE OF THE DAY - BRAHMS OPENING IN NEW WINDOW....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

NEW RELEASE OF THE DAY - BRAHMS OPENING IN NEW WINDOW....

"Quasi Morendo"....
    ECM New Series 24/96 via Qobuz Studio. New Release 2019.
    Reto Bieri (clarinet) and Meta4.

Sciarrino
    Let me Die before I wake (for solo clarinet)
    Brahms
    Clarinet Quintet
    Pesson
    Nebenstück (for Clarinet & String Quartet)

Utterly extraordinary performance of the Quintet, of wonderful delicacy, freedom of phrase and natural rubato, with endlessly fine nuances of expression. Played bar-to-bar, as if remade.
    You won't need comparisons to hear just how special this is.

Haunting, barely-there pre-post-Brahmsian-echoes from Sciarrino and Pesson, the latter a very free adaptation of Brahms OP.10/4 Ballade. Less an arrangement, more of an estrangement...
    Let me Die before I wake is an almost-perception of a clarinet in a dream, wisps and sighs from a distant room...
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 11-05-19, 19:37.
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Sorry - does this mean it's available only as a download?

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      Sorry - does this mean it's available only as a download?
      ... CD here :

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
        Banned
        • Jul 2011

I often think of the Brahms Clarinet Quintet as his Animula vagula blandula.....

Or this from Yeats.....

Greater glory in the Sun,
        An evening chill upon the air,
        Bid imagination run
        Much on the Great Questioner;
        What He can question, what if questioned I
        Can with a fitting confidence reply.

(from: At Algeciras - A Meditation Upon Death)
        Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 11-05-19, 19:39.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Thanks Vints.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            I ofte think of the Brahms Clarinet Quintet as his Animula vagula blandula.....

I woudn't have thought Brahms would have been into that sort of thing at all.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              Duly ordered. While I would normally have gone for the download, there is something so seductively attractive about the usual ECM physical CD "package" that makes them a preferable buy to something sitting on the SSD of my MacBook. Love the Brahms - so much looking forward to hearing this disc (and I trust Jayne's judgement - her recent Trio Les Esprits Schubert Piano Trios recommendation has been gladdening my days since receiving it a few days ago).

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Available on Apple music, I have this lined up for later on.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I woudn't have thought Brahms would have been into that sort of thing at all.
                  Hadrian's animula vagula blandula ....translated freely by Marguerite Yourcenar.....

“Little soul, gentle and drifting, guest and companion of my body, now you will dwell below in pallid places, stark and bare; there you will abandon your play of yore. But one moment still, let us gaze together on these familiar shores, on these objects which doubtless we shall not see again….Let us try, if we can, to enter into death with open eyes…”
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 11-05-19, 20:14.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Woke up about 7.40 and rather sadly checked my mobile while still in bed. Wife also awake, and Brahms clarinet Quintet being a favourite, I immediately responded to Jayne's recommendation and played it via Spoty ... still lying in bed. Came across beautifully even on my trusty bedside Roberts 93i.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      Duly ordered. While I would normally have gone for the download, there is something so seductively attractive about the usual ECM physical CD "package" that makes them a preferable buy to something sitting on the SSD of my MacBook. Love the Brahms - so much looking forward to hearing this disc (and I trust Jayne's judgement - her recent Trio Les Esprits Schubert Piano Trios recommendation has been gladdening my days since receiving it a few days ago).
                      I've played this through twice since receiving it in the post earlier. I can't think of the right word - haunting? Exquisite performance of the Brahms, wonderfully recorded. The Sciarrino is described by the clarinetist: "it's mysterious music and has to be mysterious". Thanks, Jayne, not sure that I would have noticed this release - one of my CDs of the year.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        I've played this through twice since receiving it in the post earlier. I can't think of the right word - haunting? Exquisite performance of the Brahms, wonderfully recorded. The Sciarrino is described by the clarinetist: "it's mysterious music and has to be mysterious". Thanks, Jayne, not sure that I would have noticed this release - one of my CDs of the year.
                        The Brahms feels very soft edged, a performance that makes previously heard recordings sound terribly inflexible. And it really gets something special from the clarinet sound.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                        X