NEW RELEASE SPECIAL - SANTTU SPIRITU SIBELIUS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goon525
    • Feb 2014

I’ve only just spotted this thread, having listened to the new record a week or so ago. It’s excellemt both as performance and recording, and I found this version of the symphony just worked for me in a way previous attempts to get inside it haven’t. Jayne - assuming your Qobuz sub is at least at CD quality, I’m curious at why you’d buy the CD? Is it against the rainy day when you no longer have a streaming subscription? Blessed with Sublime+ (soon to be downgraded to Studio because I’m not buying anything), I’m listening at hi res whenever I want, and with access to booklet notes. Don’t really see what the physical CD brings to the party.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Goon525 View Post
      I’ve only just spotted this thread, having listened to the new record a week or so ago. It’s excellemt both as performance and recording, and I found this version of the symphony just worked for me in a way previous attempts to get inside it haven’t. Jayne - assuming your Qobuz sub is at least at CD quality, I’m curious at why you’d buy the CD? Is it against the rainy day when you no longer have a streaming subscription? Blessed with Sublime+ (soon to be downgraded to Studio because I’m not buying anything), I’m listening at hi res whenever I want, and with access to booklet notes. Don’t really see what the physical CD brings to the party.
      It is partly because "it's nice to have"....
      Also because, having invested time, money and carefully-serviced and customised patience in my two vintage CD transports, (Krell & Marantz dating from 1998) I love to hear the distinctive way they sound with an outstanding recording, and take a simple pleasure in just using them, really.
      So there is that audiophile angle (which is why I subscribe to Qobuz Studio).

With some albums, especially instrumental, baroque, chamber etc, I buy the CD to play elsewhere in the house on various mini-systems, TV-attached BDP etc while - getting up getting coffee and so on...
      I never got into the habit of burning a download (I'd probably fail to label them or lose them...), or of networking the house... though the latter remains a possibility the distractions (and budgets) of The Real Life will keep getting in the way...
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 21-03-19, 20:20.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

I just came across the Nezet-Seguin recording through Spotify and it's pretty special. I haven't had the chance to compare it with Rouvali but I'm looking forward to doing so.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

The new season Berlin Phil live concerts prog dropped in today. Possibly worth a one-off ticket to see/hear Rouvali conducting them in Sibelius 1 on Sat 21 Sept.
          Last edited by gradus; 25-07-19, 20:28.

Comment

Working...
          X