• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... it will also depend on how you define "fan".

If you don't switch the radio off when it's on, you're a fan.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
      If you don't switch the radio off when it's on, you're a fan.
      ... ah well - some of us are perhaps more discriminating in our use of language.

Comment

• silvestrione
        • Jan 2011

(Getting seriously derailed on Karajan!!) I loved his way of describing how he imagined Mozart would have played his fortepiano, and his relating of that to the particular way Seong-Jin Cho played his Steinway in Mozart. What did he say, 'Mozart would just have gone for it!' ….or similar.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
          (Getting seriously derailed on Karajan!!) I loved his way of describing how he imagined Mozart would have played his fortepiano, and his relating of that to the particular way Seong-Jin Cho played his Steinway in Mozart. What did he say, 'Mozart would just have gone for it!' ….or similar.
          Yes, one of many perfectly pitched phrases that demonstrated why he should be on much more often.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Well, respect to Stephen Johnson, who I was aware of from years ago as a very fine Gramophone reviewer, especially good on Bruckner, and Bruckner versions and editions. I recall following his Radio 3 series about these closely and rewardingly. His interval talks have often been both engaging and enlightening. He's good with words.

I didn't always find my ears or judgements in sympathy with his own, but so what? He was a careful, precise listener who always tried to be fair to performers - and I trust, still is all of those things.

He seems to have struggled with depressive illness all of his life. I know all too well how this feels, and can only admire the brave soul of his achievements all the more.
            Spot-on, and praise indeed from someone who embodies all those qualities on this forum.

I wasn't aware of his struggles with depression. I met him a couple of times something like 30 years ago and remember him being very good company.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
              It was good to hear Stephen Johnson back on Radio 3 on Saturday, discussing concerto discs with Lucy Parham.
              SJ was one of the expert speakers billed to attend the Dante Quartet's DSCH quartet cycle at Bromsgrove last October and it was very disappointing that he had to cancel because of illness, pretty clearly a recurrence of the depression he movingly describes in his book How Shostakovich Changed my Mind https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Shostak...n+shostakovich But perhaps the card that we all sent him helped?

The weekend's organisers didn't have much luck on speakers. Roderick Swanston was also announced, but sadly died in the spring.
              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
              X