X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

MDT R.I.P

MDT have called in the receivers. I remember going into their classical record shop in Derby city centre in the very late 1980s and use their online site every now and then, with purchases including the big Solti box.

Sad to see them go but Amazon are taking over the world. Hope Presto don't go as well.

(Why can't the header come out in capitals?)
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    MDT have called in the receivers. I remember going into their classical record shop in Derby city centre in the very late 1980s and use their online site every now and then, with purchases including the big Solti box.

Sad to see them go but Amazon are taking over the world. Hope Presto don't go as well.

I very vaguely remember that shop. To think of a 'classical' record shop in a place like Derby these days invites incredulity. Mind you, so does the idea of a record shop, let alone a 'classical only' one.
    Last edited by Conchis; 24-01-19, 09:43.

Comment

• Mal
      • Dec 2016

So that's why their web site is down!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

While sorry to see them in such straits, I must admit to feeling relieved that I have no current outstanding orders with them.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Sad to hear. I'm sure they used to advertise regularly in Gramophone years ago. It explains why when I recently tried to buy something I was blocked with a message stating: Minimum order amount is £9,999,999,999,999,999,931,398,190,359,470,212,94 7,659,194,368.00 and they didn't reply to my email querying this. I mentioned this on another thread. I used them occasionally. For that item they had the cheapest offer at the time and post free.

Presto seems to be safer. They also sell sheet music. Europadisc may also be in danger.

Comment

• prb
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            While sorry to see them in such straits, I must admit to feeling relieved that I have no current outstanding orders with them.
            I did have outstanding orders, but they cancelled and refunded them last week. I wondered why at the time.

Comment

• Mal
              • Dec 2016

MDT also operate(d) as Englishpostbox on Amazon UK, and although you can see still see their storefront there are no CDs showing up. I did buy a few CDs from their Amazon store and their web page over the last year, I guess trying to beat the usual Swiss and US suspects just became too difficult. Service was always first rate, as their storefront says: "100% positive in the last 12 months (14049 ratings)".

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                MDT also operate(d) as Englishpostbox on Amazon UK, and although you can see still see their storefront there are no CDs showing up. I did buy a few CDs from their Amazon store and their web page over the last year, I guess trying to beat the usual Swiss and US suspects just became too difficult. Service was always first rate, as their storefront says: "100% positive in the last 12 months (14049 ratings)".
                I didn’t know of the Englishpostbox link - they were/are efficient and well priced - used them a few times, if they’ve gone then that is sad!

Comment

• Mal
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  I didn’t know of the Englishpostbox link - they were/are efficient and well priced - used them a few times, if they’ve gone then that is sad!
                  If you go to the storefront you can still see the business address as MDT.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                    If you go to the storefront you can still see the business address as MDT.
                    The link between the names Englishpostbox and MDT has been mentioned oh this forum several times in the past. Quite often, the prices charged by the former were a little lower than those quoted by the latter, but not always. The loss of both services is to be regretted.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      I don't know - it just doesn't, not even for those of us who have access to its occult workings (unless I'm missing a button that allows it). Very annoying - a title involving "USA" comes out as "Usa".
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

A great shame

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          I don't know - it just doesn't, not even for those of us who have access to its occult workings (unless I'm missing a button that allows it). Very annoying - a title involving "USA" comes out as "Usa".
                          I've done my best...

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

As iff by magic!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

One of my earlier mail order suppliers for some time (prices compared to HMV in town...), very friendly and helpful on the phone. They branched out into various gift-shop retail too...I don't recall ever buying a teddy-bear from them though.

I think I began with Europadisc when they were East Anglia (?) based, but felt confused after the perceived spilt between that name and Classics Direct.... so then I moved to MDT (usually ordering after shortlisting from each month's Gramophone in a dedicated notebook - always the best week of the month!), before settling on Bath CDs until the thrill of online searching out of deletions & rarities via Amazon & others became irresistible .... then Japanese specials from HMV Japan....
                              (those airmail packages flying in from all over the world.....it was a very exciting time....!)

The efficiency and choice offered by Amazon with CD/DVD/BR etc., and the easy returns, make competition very tough for anyone smaller. And now there's.....streaming...

Presto have reinvented and updated themselves very well so far.... good luck to them.
                              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-01-19, 18:21.

Comment

Working...
                              X