• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

New Release Retrospect - Schubert in new light, and the shades of Death

Schubert String Quartet d.810 "Death and the Maiden". String Quartet No.9 d.173. Chiaroscuro Quartet. BIS 24/96 2018. Qobuz Studio Stream.

Once upon a time, I would listen to Schubert's Death and the Maiden Quartet obsessively; it is an obsessive piece, rhythmically, melodically and above all, emotionally; so the listener, in the intensity of her involvement, tends to be the mirror of the creation.

I cannot remember if I ever had a favourite recording back in the day; most of my experiences of the work were off-air, taped or live. The Lunchtime Concert from St Johns Smith Square… and so, so often - I tried never to miss it. I thought I could never go back to it.
    But now I have a brand new favourite, HIPPs without compromise, just released by the remarkable Chiaroscuros. The more impressive in its intensity perhaps, for following their necessarily cooler, so precise, yet never emotionally pallid Haydn releases.

What struck me first was the clean, clear immediacy of the recorded sound; all four instruments, there before you without much perceivable artifice or adjustment. You connect instantly to the players and Schubert's music. Perfectly placed, neither overbearingly close, nor ostentatiously spacious.
    The Chiaroscuros’ dynamic range is wide, even extreme, as is their purity: strictly senza vibrato, ​tonal andphrasal. It feels: musically faithful, the “objective” servant of the score, but never lacks intensity at all. So there’s no relaxing into the second subject; it keeps moving, keeps moving on, don’t look back… the coda to the 1st movement is dark and regretful, but is clearly understood as “show don’t tell”.

Some may find this somewhat austere, unyielding, perhaps craving evidence of greater personal, in-the-moment performer involvement - but I think the reading is so powerful on its own loftier terms, you have to take it on those terms - or not.

So into the Variations on the song itself, clarity and transparency are the key (and Ibragimova’s vibrato-less tone remarkably intense and clear). The galloping variation may seem less frightened or threatening, less fight-or-flight than some; but across the grinding harshness of textures laid bare, there is considerable momentum and energy. We’re not dead yet!
    The contrast between the last two, elysium glimpsed, then the plunge into stricken agony, is intense; but again created by sheer precision, purity and intensity of tone.
    The scherzo is clipped-phrase, staccato-severe, yet with something of the hurdy-gurdy about its trio…the merest hint of pathos.
    A very quick, truly presto tarantella finale, rubato barely-perceptible but expressively telling; and stunning articulation-at-speed….every note there without a hint of approximation; the attack scarcely even yields to the second group. We may be driven to despair, but never quite lose control, even through an almost percussive coda.

If I have reservations, it may be that the range of colour lacks some light and shade; the tonal or textural character always on-the-surface, totally explicit in its note-to-note articulation, where one might sometimes wish for softer, more mysterious evocations. But that would be asking for a different performance…

Still, I can’t understate the remarkable clarity and tangibility of the recorded sound; truly exceptional - perfect mirror of the performance itself.

(The 1815 G Minor quartet isn’t just a makeweight, having at least a hint of the intensity of those darkly-shaded, often fragmentary, Piano Sonatas of 1817, e.g. d537…so, well worth getting to know…)
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 10-12-18, 18:37.
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I haven’t listened to this Quartet in ages. The trouble out there these days, that there’s so much other very good music to listen to. I will bear post in mind when I am hearing this recording. Many thanks for your usual in depth analysis, as ever.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
      I haven’t listened to this Quartet in ages. The trouble out there these days, that there’s so much other very good music to listen to. I will bear post in mind when I am hearing this recording. Many thanks for your usual in depth analysis, as ever.
      D810 and the Rosamunde Quartet are high on my list of favourite SQs! Beautiful music!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
        • Jan 2016

This is indeed an excellent recording from the Chiaroscuros. I hope they might rope in a friend to record the Quintet some time soon.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

I'd love them to record the sometimes-overlooked d.804 - they could bring some remarkable perceptions to that remarkable piece......

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            I'd love them to record the sometimes-overlooked d.804 - they could bring some remarkable perceptions to that remarkable piece......
            You mean this?

I got it over 4 years ago in CD format. It is available as a download (high definition) from eClassical, though I see amazon.co.uk no longer has it available on disc. Also on QOBUZ, with the hi res 88.2/48 via 'Sublime' for less than the CD rate offering.
            Last edited by Bryn; 09-12-18, 18:39. Reason: Update.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

D 804 is one of my favourite pieces of chamber music - and I was (still am) bowled over by the CD, which I see I bought in 2012. So, their 'Death and the Maiden' was, for me, a "no-brainer" when on offer from e.classical in early October. As wonderful as Jayne describes.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                D810 and the Rosamunde Quartet are high on my list of favourite SQs! Beautiful music!
                Coupled by the Italians. I've since replaced it with their compilation 2 CD set which includes D887 and D703. Much played. I saw/heard a fine live D804 by the St Petersburg SQ in Swansea a while ago.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  You mean this?

I got it over 4 years ago in CD format. It is available as a download (high definition) from eClassical, though I see amazon.co.uk no longer has it available on disc. Also on QOBUZ, with the hi res 88.2/48 via 'Sublime' for less than the CD rate offering.
                  Thanks Bryn - I couldn't find this before, rushing the search in between all the Debussy auditions...! I see it is an earlier taping, so I do hope I like it more than their 2014 Mendelssohn Op.13.... my impression is that their playing and all-round interpretative confidence leapt up a level with those later Haydn releases...

Comment

• CallMePaul
                    • Jan 2014

I recently bought this disc and rated it (elsewhere on the Forum) as my Disc of the Year. On Friday I heard a live performance of D810 by the Quatuor Damel at Manchester University. The live performance was very different from this disc, as I had predicted: a fair dollop of vibrato, no exposition repeat etc. I hope that the Chiaroscuro Quartet goes on to record D887, which is my favourite Schubert quartet - unfortunately I had to miss the Danel's performance of this 3 weeks ago as I had left hospital earlier that day.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks so much, Jayne, for pointing me towards this recording, which I downloaded and listened to yesterday - a most exhilarating, if at times harrowing experience. I was hearing lots of things anew and details that I had never really heard before ... and only one hearing so far.

It represents the latest stage in my 50-year-plus relationship with this work. In 1967 I had just started as an undergraduate and was getting into classical music, having been totally 60s rock/pop oriented as a teenager. I was studying German and was becoming fascinated by Lieder as settings of German poetry - Schumann/Heine, Schubert/Goethe. When I noticed there was actually a string quartet called Der Tod und das Mädchen, I went and bought it - Vienna Philharmonic Quartet on the cheap student-friendly Ace of Diamonds label. I played it often over the next decades when it was my only version and still have the LP (now on CD coupled with Trout and Curzon). I think it was the first string quartet recording I owned.

For me also the hurdy-gurdy very much came to mind, (as you mention above). A great favourite among my 30 or so versions of Winterreise is the one sung by Nataša Mirkovic-De Ro with hurdy-gurdy accompaniment. jpc

Comment

Working...
                      X