New Release Retrospect....Bartok Concertos from Tetzlaff/FRSO/Lintu....24/48 Ondine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

New Release Retrospect....Bartok Concertos from Tetzlaff/FRSO/Lintu....24/48 Ondine

BARTOK Violin Concertos 1 & 2. Tetzlaff/Finnish RSO/Lintu. ONDINE 24/48. Qobuz Studio Stream.
    (GRAMOPHONE Concerto Award 2018).

The world can seem awash with fine recordings of the Bartok Violin Concertos. They’re becoming as ubiquitous as the DSCH 1st was a few years back.
    But whatever your favourites, be it Faust say, or Kelemen - you must hear this new one: it takes the music to the highest levels of subtlety and sensitivity, of both sound and interpretative sense.
    I compared the Tetzlaff/Lintu1st Concerto (a work I sometimes lose patience with as its 2nd movement blusters about) to the recent Frang/Franck, and noted how wilfully soloist-led the Frang is; a showier, impassioned performance with which there seems little wrong - until you hear the more richly collaborative solo/orchestra dialogue/balance of Tetzlaff/Lintu, with a keenly instinctive sense of timing and shades of colour between the performance partners. Lintu has a Boulezian ear for such details of level, orchestral transparency and blend - and is a wonderfully responsive accompanist. (I’m tempted to say that these are the very details that made me so enthusiastic about his new Lutosławski album of 1 and 4 - and perhaps such details are easily missed if you listen too hurriedly, or not often enough)…
    Back to the soloists and from the very start, Frang is right there, out front, up and at you: the youthful, questing adventurer. Tetzlaff: warmer, more graceful, intimate and inward. It is very telling and gives him more space and range to grow and intensify his reading later.

On to the 2nd Concerto then and I wondered if my enthusiasm would be maintained. It is around an awful lot isn’t it?….
    So, Here we go again……

It would be easy to write the same only more so about this one. That is true and then some, yet it seems hard at first to pick out anything obviously striking or individual. But by halfway through the 1st movement, you realise just how perfectly articulated, sounded-out and expressed each wonderful moment (there are quite a few in this piece!) actually is; Lintu’s orchestra, full, warm and classically poised as it sweeps into its first tutti, then startles you with the power and even savagery of its wind, brass and percussion outbursts, the effortless switching from humour to delicate accompaniment to passion. Tetzlaff isn’t overtly assuming any tziganerie, yet adumbrates shades of those colours into a warm, sinuous and marvellously varied shaping of the solo line.

You may object that this description could apply to varying degrees, to various other recordings - but I’ve simply never heard one which does everything quite so well and so consistently as this - and in truly splendid 24/48 sound. Warm, full, immediate.
    (Steinbacher/Janowski say, is cooler & more objective; Kelemen/Kocsis more overtly wild, rooted and gypsyish; Faust/Harding spikier; Pat Kop true to her uniquely remarkable self, with Eötvös, more confrontational in his baring of weird texture and dissonances).
    Tetzlaff breathes, sings and dances through the elegiac, playful and withdrawn elements of the andante; Lintu his obsessive accompanist, observer of precise fine-drawn detail but - always with and responding to his soloist’s every move.
    The recording doesn’t miss a trick. This seems to be something of a Lintu/FRSO trademark: blended transparency…

Strikingly light-footed and danceable finale, a natural swing and flow to the rhythm (which is often heavier and more emphatically folk-inflected, say in Harding or Eotvos); often daringly slow, then that uncanny solo/ensemble natural-as-breathing togetherness as the dance sweeps on; and a final twist in the tale - the purely orchestral alternative ending, stunningly conclusive here with snarling devil-may-care brass.
    Still a nice surprise, and relatively rare on record (Faust/Harding have it; Kelemen/Kocsis give you both, easily programmable…).

• richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

First hit on Spotify for the Bartok’s VCs actually brings up the live premiere of what is now known as Number Two. Perhaps you can access it via Quobuz and see how it compares.
    I am afraid that I don’t have anything else to contribute here. I usually enjoy Bartok, but neither work, especially #1, has ever clicked for me

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      First hit on Spotify for the Bartok’s VCs actually brings up the live premiere of what is now known as Number Two. Perhaps you can access it via Quobuz and see how it compares.
      I am afraid that I don’t have anything else to contribute here. I usually enjoy Bartok, but neither work, especially #1, has ever clicked for me
      How about 2 Portraits?

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Heard the finale of No2 on RR the other month - didn't do much for me - very clean and musical and a bit dull . Perhaps it sounds better in context of the whole piece.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

I have, among many others, the old Tetzlaff/Gielen. I will have to hear how they compare.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Having been perfectly happy with Kyung Wha Chung's CSO/Solti Decca recording of both concertos for many years, I added Gil Shaham, CSP/Boulez DG (#2) and Gidon Kremer, BPO/Boulez DG, some years ago. More recently, I bought the Tedi Papavrami, Philharmonique du Luxembourg/Emmanuel Krivine Alpha.

When I'm done with the Papavrami, I'll check out the Tedzlaf.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Having been perfectly happy with Kyung Wha Chung's CSO/Solti Decca recording of both concertos for many years, I added Gil Shaham, CSP/Boulez DG (#2) and Gidon Kremer, BPO/Boulez DG, some years ago. More recently, I bought the Tedi Papavrami, Philharmonique du Luxembourg/Emmanuel Krivine Alpha.

It was the Kyung Wha Chung/Rattle what 'won' BaL around a decade ago.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                It was the Kyung Wha Chung/Rattle what 'won' BaL around a decade ago.
                I don't know the Chung/Rattle. And that BaL must have passed me by.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

I don't know the Chung/Rattle. And that BaL must have passed me by.
                  At the time it was in a triple CD bargain set from EMI (I have it). However, if you are quick, there might be a single disc of it, along with the 2 Rhapsodies, "Used - Very Good", via the amazon.co.uk marketplace.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    At the time it was in a triple CD bargain set from EMI (I have it). However, if you are quick, there might be a single disc of it, along with the 2 Rhapsodies, "Used - Very Good", via the amazon.co.uk marketplace.
                    I think I'll give it a miss Bryn. I'm ok with the ones I have.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

You never caught up with this one?

Gramophone Record of the Year 2013, whereas Tetzlaff/Lintu is merely the Concerto Record of the Year 2018.
                      It can be hard with the the Tetzlaff recording not to appear to damn with much praise, i.e give the impression of a jack of all trades, MOR-safe, etc.
                      But the extraordinary thing about it is, that it would be also master of most, just how wonderfully well it encompasses the whole sweep of the 2nd Concerto (surely a 20thC classic if ever there was...!) in its many moods and sounds, AND give the most vivid realisations of all those wonderful moments and fantastical details. As RC pointed out the recording of No.1 (a tricky piece to balance across its two movements, really) is one of the very best ever...

But finally -
                      I come back to that PRAT-factor again: pace rhythm and above all timing between soloist/conductor/orchestra. Musical symbiosis. That's what makes it so special for me...

Fascinating about the ending isn't it? Anyone here have a clear preference for orchestra-only, or the more familiar one-with-violin? The usual one can seem more flowing and unified, all-of-a-piece, but...
                      ​Definitely the orchestra alone for me - more thrillingly subversive with those snarling, sneering trumpets! Just brilliant with Lintu and his stunning band.
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 26-11-18, 20:32.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

All this talk of Bartok and the violin has prompted me to spin "Muzsikás The Bartók Album", featuring that fine violinist Alexander Balenescu:

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                          • Jan 2016

Beautiful CD: music, playing and recording are all at the highest level, I don't much feel like comparing it to anything else, it was just totally involving from the first chords of no.2 to the end of no.1.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

I returned to the Kopatchinskaja/Eötvös last night, and I just couldn't stick with it; so in love with this new Tetzlaff one, the remarkable 2013 Award Winner was simply too idiosyncratic to bear the comparison!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

I was more taken with the Tetzlaff/Tetzlaff/Vogt Dvorak trios record they played on RR.

I bought it and it is outstanding - have you heard it Jayne?

Comment

Working...
                              X