New release of the Day - Dutilleux and Luto too...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

New release of the Day - Dutilleux and Luto too...

Lutoslawski Cello Concerto; Dutilleux Tout un Monde Lointain.
    Johannes Moser/Berlin RSO/Sondergard. 24/96 Pentatone. Qobuz Studio Stream.

The cool classy transparency of this new recording of Lutosławski’s Cello Concerto may at first seem to present a slightly too laid back account. But you soon become absorbed by the freedom, fantasy and precision of Moser’s assumption, the reliably velvety beauty of the Berlin RSO, the impressively large-scale of the orchestral image.

The strings in the cantilena have never sounded more beautiful, those overlapping brass outbursts never more sharply detailed; but perhaps it lacks a little anger or fire? Too..luxurious?
    One focusses again on those eerily twisting cello harmonics, the tiny threads and brushstrokes of percussion, fabulously deep in the acoustic; marvelling at the resolution of it all to the ear. But still neither shaken nor stirred…

Then we hit the finale and - well, look out! - the roof goes off… So that’s what Søndergard was saving it all up for…!
    The orchestra attack their brief climactic passages with a staggering, frenzied impact, that huge final chord leaving you breathless in your chair, and the soloist singing his single high note, defiantly individual and alone….

As you might expect, the distant world of the Dutilleux finds all these performers in their element, comme il faut…. articulate, poetic, coolly glittering; like most of Dutilleux’ preciously curated capsule collection, it’s a work I’m very fond of, and this recording, whilst it retains a certain Apollonian distancing, joins the best of them on the very highest level for sound and sense.
    I found the cello soloist slightly too close at first; as the effortlessly powerful orchestra weren’t very far behind, this wasn’t a great problem (and may be system dependent); but I simply switched DAC filters to achieve a more sympathetic space and distance…

If you still actually buy recordings…and have others of both these wonderful works you already love, is this an essential purchase? Perhaps not; but certainly a indulgently luxurious listen.…a fresh take.

(Johannes Moser’s own notes to the works are remarkably, keenly insightful; I’m happy to report more and more booklet notes presented this way recently… e.g.Jacobs on Schubert 1 & 6…)
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Interesting that they chose not to twin the Luto and the Dutilleux cello concertos though - perhaps deciding the original with Rostropovitch and the Orchestre de Paris to be too sacrosanct to bear repetition.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Interesting that they chose not to twin the Luto and the Dutilleux cello concertos though - perhaps deciding the original with Rostropovitch and the Orchestre de Paris to be too sacrosanct to bear repetition.
      ?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Tout un Monde Lointain is a bit like a cello concerto, though.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

So difficult to tell sometimes whether people are being ironic or snide . Dutilleux’s Cello Concerto is of course the same work.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            So difficult to tell sometimes whether people are being ironic or snide . Dutilleux’s Cello Concerto is of course the same work.
            Apologies for my absurd mistake! I was thinking of another Dutilleux work, having forgotten this as being the subtitle! High time to apply for a head transplant!

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Apologies for my absurd mistake! I was thinking of another Dutilleux work, having forgotten this as being the subtitle! High time to apply for a head transplant!
              Took me ages to be sure that his violin concerto was the same work as the subtitle given to that ! Much easier if people use both titles !

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

Took me ages to be sure that his violin concerto was the same work as the subtitle given to that ! Much easier if people use both titles !
                - except that actually the score of Tout un monde lointain... doesn't contain the word "Concerto" anywhere, and that of L'Arbre des songes only has "Concerto pour violon et orchestre" on the inside (hence it's more a description than a subtitle).

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Thank as ever, JLW. Your posts are always quite persuasive!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    - except that actually the score of Tout un monde lointain... doesn't contain the word "Concerto" anywhere, and that of L'Arbre des songes only has "Concerto pour violon et orchestre" on the inside (hence it's more a description than a subtitle).
                    As Tout en monde lointain has become known as the Cello Concerto including in most cases where a recording is issued and is widely known by that name - the point holds that it is clearer if both titles are used.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                      • Jan 2016

As Tout en monde lointain has become known as the Cello Concerto including in most cases where a recording is issued and is widely known by that name - the point holds that it is clearer if both titles are used.
                      Become known by whom? The words "Cello Concerto" appear on the front cover of only one or two of the many available CDs - look for yourself! "Cello Concerto" may be a description but it would only be a title if the composer had called it that, which he didn't.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                        Become known by whom? The words "Cello Concerto" appear on the front cover of only one or two of the many available CDs - look for yourself! "Cello Concerto" may be a description but it would only be a title if the composer had called it that, which he didn't.
                        It appears on the title of the one JLW is lauding for example . By all means stick to your purism - the mistake Serial Apologist makes is easy to do in those circumstances and not to be sneered at.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

It appears on the title of the one JLW is lauding for example . By all means stick to your purism - the mistake Serial Apologist makes is easy to do in those circumstances and not to be sneered at.
                          Well, thanks, but I have to admit to not having pre-checked that I was not thinking of the cello work in question; I apologise to all for causing such time-wasting confusion.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

O.k, so how about this afternoon's "UK premiere of Dobrinka Tabakova’s double piano concerto", as it is named on the short version of the schedule blurb, or "Together Remember to Dance" as it is titled in the main listing?

The UK premiere of Dobrinka Tabakova’s double piano concerto, plus Poulenc and Fazil Say.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                              Thank as ever, JLW. Your posts are always quite persuasive!
                              It was Jayne's enthusiasm for this set that influenced me to buy it in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                              X