X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DoctorT
    • Sep 2024

Elgar's Piano Quintet

Did anyone hear the new recording of this which Andrew played on Saturday morning just after 9AM? I own only the Donohoe/Maggini recording on Naxos which I listened to again last night with a great deal of pleasure. Does anyone else love this work, and what favourite recordings do you have?
  • Norfolk Born

Hurrah! Another excuse to enthuse about Elgar's chamber works. I have the recording by the Nash Ensemble with Ian Brown (now available on Helios, I think), and also an off-air recording of the same pianist with the Sorrel quartet. I saw the latter play it at at the 2007 Three Choirs Festival. The smallness of the venue (St. Lode's Church) and the power of the performance mad it quite an occasion. Music in Felixstowe are going to present an all-Elgar concert, including the quartet and the quintet, in their 2011-2012 season at our local church.

Comment

• Don Petter

Another great favourite here!

I have the following on CD:

Bingham/Medici (2 recordings)
      Aura
      Ogdon/Allegri
      Cohen/Stratton
      Donohoe/Maggini
      Schiller/Coull

Also, on LP:

Cassini/Aeolian
      Roberts/Chilingirian

(Though the last two haven't seen the light of day for quite a while.)

I think I like the Bingham/Medicis best. Not much difference between the two as I recall, though this may spur me to have another listen.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I have the Donoghoe/Maggini to, and the Ogdon/Allegri, but not the Nash Ensemble and Ian Brown. The latter would be a most interesting acquisition, because theydo every time in whatever eecording the produce, make a truly magnificent performance.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
          Did anyone hear the new recording of this which Andrew played on Saturday morning just after 9AM? . . .
          Yes, I did and was bowled over. Must admit can't remember hearing it before. Obviously another "must-have" purchase beckons, having simply had to have the Lortie Annees de Pelerinage which arrived this morning. Is there no end to it? Answers on a postcard.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

This is one of my favourite chamber works of all.
            I have the Schiller Coull Quartet coupled with the Bridge quintet (another great piece).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

It's one of my favourites too, and I think I listed it my top 10 favourites. It's surprising, therefore, that I have just two versions:

John Bingham & The Medici Quartet
              John Ogdon & The Allregri Quartet

Comment

• Steerpike
                • Nov 2010

A wonderful work. I've got an excellent old cfp CD - Piers Lane with the Vellinger quartet - still available I think. It’s coupled with the string quartet written in the same year.

I heard the Nash Ensemble with Ian Brown (of course!) at the Wigmore Hall a couple or so years ago. Very excellent and very moving.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

I must admit that it has never really grabbed me - the Violin Sonata on the other hand I love deeply.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

Just the one version Ogden/Allegri on a double LP with other Elgar chamber works. I'm fond of the Quintet and the version I have I find perfectly satisfactory, though I may get round to buying a CD version or downloading one sometime.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                      Just the one version Ogden/Allegri on a double LP with other Elgar chamber works. I'm fond of the Quintet and the version I have I find perfectly satisfactory.....
                      the same applies to me.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

That is the one that could be found on the 2 disc CfP set which includes Hugh Bean's lovely performances of the Concerto and Sonata - I must give it a whirl.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

This new Hyperion seems to be worth considering:

<p>Inspired by the rural beauty of the surroundings at his country retreat in 1917, Edward Elgar embarked on the composition of some of his most inspired and imaginative chamber works.</p> <p>Both the String Quartet and the Piano Quintet are works of great depth and elegance. Their conservative style disregards the compositional trends of the time and displays an unabashed late-romanticism. Elgar wrote: ‘It is full of golden sounds and I like it. But you must not expect anything violently chromatic or cubist.’</p> <p>The disc features sumptuous playing from the acclaimed Goldner String Quartet, who are joined by pianist Piers Lane for Elgar’s sublime Piano Quintet, a large-scale work of almost orchestral sonority.</p> <p>These masterpieces are accompanied by four previously unrecorded works for solo piano, the last of which was written by Elgar at the age of 72. They are intimate, charming rarities, superbly performed by Lane.</p>

Comment

• Norfolk Born

£9.95 from Europadisc. Recorded, I see, at Potton Hall, where the Magginis have frequently recorded for Naxos.

Comment

• DoctorT

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                              £9.95 from Europadisc.
                              ...and £8.99 post free from HMV. This is the one I referred to at the start of the thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X