Pieces you have fallen out of love with - and recommendations to restore .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Pieces you have fallen out of love with - and recommendations to restore .

To my surprise it is Beethoven Symphony No7 - when I was young it was probably just about my favourite of his symphonies - now it is last on the list. It seems all too often hectic and unenjoyable.

Bright Hipp efforts from Krivine and Bruggen have not restored my love for it and nor has going back to old favourites like C.Kleiber/Ashkenazy and the like . Honeck's account I liked at first but with familiarity that has palled on me .

What , if any pieces , have you fallen out f love with and did a recording or a performance refresh your ears and restore the liking for the piece ?

PSListening to HVK's Philharmonia Seventh from the 1950s tonight has certainly been the most I have enjoyed it for a good while.
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Ah, the sadness of works one has fallen out of love with! For me, the Mendelssohn violin concerto which I'd be unmoved if I never heard again. I WAS going to say the Bruch violin concerto but I heard it on the radio recently and got sucked into it.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      Ah, the sadness of works one has fallen out of love with! For me, the Mendelssohn violin concerto which I'd be unmoved if I never heard again. I WAS going to say the Bruch violin concerto but I heard it on the radio recently and got sucked into it.
      What even the Campoli recordings ?

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        What even the Campoli recordings ?
        Alas, yes! It maybe because I studied it and I find certain violin works to be unlistenable because I practiced them to death. Even though I love Campoli's playing.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Alas, yes! It maybe because I studied it and I find certain violin works to be unlistenable because I practiced them to death. Even though I love Campoli's playing.
          I have a friend who feels like that about Mozart’s Third VC .

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            I have a friend who feels like that about Mozart’s Third VC .
            The Mozart K.218 was my party piece and I trotted it out for auditions where a Mozart concert was specified. I would, literally, turn it off if it came on the radio but now I don't play anymore I've recently started to listen to it again.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Unfortunately and I don’t really know why but Sibelius Violin Concerto and Elgar Cello Concerto. Two great works but for a few years now I have lost them. The Sibelius I loved years ago first via the Spivakovsky/Hannikainen, then the Chung/Previn, lately nothing ... The Elgar, similarly I loved the Navarra/Barbirolli and then the duPre/JB. Strange really because Elgar and Sibelius are both on my top few composers list and works such as Pohjola’s Daughter, En Saga and the Leminkainen Suite and Elgar Sym 1 are amongst my most-played works.
              As to Beethoven 7, Barbs, try CAO/Erich Kleiber or NYPO/Toscanini (1936}!

Comment

• crb11
                • Jan 2011

I felt that way about the Mendelssohn until I heard Isabelle Faust and the Freiburger Baroque play it at the Proms last year. Their CD of it is as good.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by crb11 View Post
                  I felt that way about the Mendelssohn until I heard Isabelle Faust and the Freiburger Baroque play it at the Proms last year. Their CD of it is as good.
                  Isabelle Faust is an extremely fine player but I've not heard her recording of the Mendelssohn Concerto. One day...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Sometimes overexposure can cause such a falling out, especially if it's a short piece or an extract; in the latter case, listening to the full work can be a restorative. Listen to all four of the dance episodes of Rodeo rather than just the Hoedown!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      Sometimes overexposure can cause such a falling out, especially if it's a short piece or an extract; in the latter case, listening to the full work can be a restorative. Listen to all four of the dance episodes of Rodeo rather than just the Hoedown!
                      Actually, it's just occurred to me that I got sick to the back teeth of Bernstein's 'Candide' which Radio3 have played incessantly this year!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Talking of Lenny I am pleased to say a charity shop buy of a coupling of his VPO recordings of Beethoven 4 and 7 ! has been giving a great deal of pleasure this week . There is real balance in the recording of the Seventh - no hectoring .

Comment

• edashtav
                          • Jul 2012

Actually, it's just occurred to me that I got sick to the back teeth of Bernstein's 'Candide' which Radio3 have played incessantly this year!
                          Candidly, hear, hear, Pastoral Guy!

Comment

Working...
                          X