• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    How I miss those days... NOT!
    With the Rattle "direct-to-disc" 6 LP vinyl Brahms set, "those days" are still with us!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      With the Rattle "direct-to-disc" 6 LP vinyl Brahms set, "those days" are still with us!
      Only for those with deep pockets...

No sign of it on the Presto website nor Die Berliner Philharmoniker's online shop. Someone IS selling it on eBay. A snip at £900!
      Last edited by pastoralguy; 06-09-18, 22:19.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Presumably the recording is digital, in which case I cannot see the point of listening via LP. I may be a "vinyl-freak" but that would be just too freaky.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          YES BUT WHAT IS THE ORDER OF THE MOVEMENTS
          The inner movements are:
          II: Scherzo
          III: Andanate

The new album from the conductor who is “taking the world by storm” (The Times) - Teodor Currentzis and his hand-picked orchestra, MusicAeterna. For their f...

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
            The inner movements are:
            II: Scherzo
            III: Andanate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=809nvXzA8rQ
            The extract on RR on Saturday sounded superb.just downloaded it on Apple music, something to look forward to this evening.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nachtigall
              • Nov 2010

I've streamed the complete Currentzis Mahler 6 from Spotify and oddly it didn't make quite the impact I thought it would, at least not sufficient to make me want to add a physical copy to the 20+ I already own. However, I need to listen to it again. Meanwhile, has anyone found the last movement of Mahler 3 conducted by Currentzis on YouTube? Mahler's langsam is taken as äusserst langsam and Currentzis out-Bernsteins Bernstein in extremes of dynamic contrast. Pianissimos are almost refined out of existence. Nevertheless, I found it moving.

Густав #Малер. #Симфония №3 ре минор. Часть VI «О чем рассказывает любовь»Дягилевский фестиваль 2014. Дирижер: Теодор #КурентзисИсполняет: Фестивальный оркес...

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                • Jan 2016

I've just listened to it for the first time. I found it a beautifully played and insightfully conceived performance (though of the Mahler symphony I listen to least often). As a recording I'm not so sure; I think the strings are too strongly highlighted and the brass too distant-sounding.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

i’m half way through it, due to time constraints, and so far I have to say I absolutely love it. Plenty of moments that felt rather different from any other performance I have heard, in creative and not jarring ways, and what feels to me like rather a HIPP Mahler approach, if there can be such a thing.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Have to get round to this! Possibly my favourite symphony.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Zucchini
                      • Nov 2010

Edit & a bit of paraphrase from THE TIMES (2 Stars)
                      >
                      Two factors intermingle: the curious acoustic … and Currentzis’s equally curious interpretation of the turbulent Sixth Symphony.

The first things to note are the inauthentic rallentandos pulled during the first lyrical statements, navigated so smoochily by the strings that I feared for my sugar intake …
                      … a recessed, gloss-coated recording that leaves brass, woodwinds and sprinkled percussion clustering in the wake of the shiny strings.
                      … even the finale’s hammer blows of fate scarcely register...,

I cannot recommend this recording.
                      GB<

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                        Edit & a bit of paraphrase from THE TIMES (2 Stars)
                        >
                        Two factors intermingle: the curious acoustic … and Currentzis’s equally curious interpretation of the turbulent Sixth Symphony.

The first things to note are the inauthentic rallentandos pulled during the first lyrical statements, navigated so smoochily by the strings that I feared for my sugar intake …
                        … a recessed, gloss-coated recording that leaves brass, woodwinds and sprinkled percussion clustering in the wake of the shiny strings.
                        … even the finale’s hammer blows of fate scarcely register...,

I cannot recommend this recording.
                        <
                        Fine, but what do you think of it? Mackerras eschewed the expo repeat in the first movement, followed the composer's second thoughts regarding the order of movements and reinstated the third hammer blow in the finale. These issues notwithsatanding, his remains one of my favourite performances of the work. I also found the Currentzis well worth a repeat hearing.

Comment

• Nachtigall
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          These issues notwithsatanding, his remains one of my favourite performances of the work. I also found the Currentzis well worth a repeat hearing.
                          I agree. I've had time to listen again. I noted the "inauthentic" rallentandos mentioned by the Times critic but not the "recessed, gloss-coated recording that leaves brass...clustering in the wake of shiny strings". I suspect that much depends on the equipment via which one is listening. I liked the recording ambience: the acoustic didn't strike me as "curious" at all. Of course I also approve of the choice of order of the middle two movements.

Comment

Working...
                          X