The Monteux/VPO 94 and 101

Andsnes in the 3,4,11 Piano Concertos

The old Fruhbeck de Burgos recording of The Creation

The Quartetto Italiano coupling if the Emperor and Sunrise Quartets

What are yours ?
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Because it introduced me to the work, and in doing so converted me to Haydn, the Rostropovich/Britten recording of the C major Cello Concerto. Then there's the Schornsheim solo keyboard works,the LCP/Norrington late Londons and the London Haydn Quartet's ongoing survey of the String Quartets.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

The EMI King's recording of the Paukenmesse, which I prefer to the John's version of about the same time, again perhaps because it introduced me to the work.
      Still available, but now on CfP, as the 'filler' to their English Creation (and ridiculously cheap for a 2CD set!):

Comment

• rauschwerk
        • Nov 2010

I'll stick to one piece in each genre:-

Symphony 102 - CBSO/Rattle - a superb performance of a piece which has been described as Haydn's greatest instrumental composition (plenty of competition there!);
        String Quartet in C, Op. 74/1 - The Lindsays - still evokes memories of a stonking performance in Sheffield a good few years ago;
        Piano Trio in C, Hob.15/27 (Landon 43) - Beaux Arts Trio;
        Te Deum in C - English Concert Ch & Orch/Pinnock - why are wonderful short choral and orchestral pieces such as this so rarely performed live?
        Trumpet Concerto in E flat - Haken Hardenberger/ASMIF/Marriner - the first Haydn concerto I got to know and I have never tired of it;
        Piano Sonata in B minor, Hob. 16/32 - Alfred Brendel - I love playing this as well as listening to Brendel's gripping performance.

Tomorrow's list would no doubt be quite different!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Trumpet Concerto Alan Stringer ASMF Marriner
          There are a number of his Symphony recordings that bring me joy including Beecham, Jochum and Woldike in London syms, a good 92/104 from Rosbaud - I’ve never warmed much to his choral works but there is much more to explore in his chamber, keyboard and concerti.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

The box set of the nearly complete cycle of his London Symphonies, CoE, Abbado.
            JEGGERS set of The Seasons and Sir Colin Davis’s. Paul McCreesh and Rattle The Creation. The Richard Hickox set of his religious music.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Haydn is such a good composer that he seems to bring out the very best in almost all performers of his Music, so for me it would be a shorter list if I named the recordings I disliked. But Kuijken's Symphony recordings are particular favourites - and Jacobs in the two Oratorios. (But also ... not forgetting ... and then there's ... and ... )
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Once Was 4
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Haydn is such a good composer that he seems to bring out the very best in almost all performers of his Music, so for me it would be a shorter list if I named the recordings I disliked. But Kuijken's Symphony recordings are particular favourites - and Jacobs in the two Oratorios. (But also ... not forgetting ... and then there's ... and ... )
                Not a CD but YouTube - have a look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzxM3Je93IQ

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                  ..................Te Deum in C - English Concert Ch & Orch/Pinnock - why are wonderful short choral and orchestral pieces such as this so rarely performed live?...................
                  Thought it seemed familiar - I sang it, in 2016 in Saffron Walden. Yes - a delightful piece.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Three conductors stand out for me in Haydn: Bruggen, Harnoncourt, and Thomas Fey...poignantly, what may be the last recording we ever have from Fey and the Heidelberg SO was a lovely set of 6-8, the first since the CMW/Harnoncourt to feel quite so sublime in the heavenly adagio of No.6 - one of those movements which really needs a HIPPs sonority and performance to move in the way it should. I'll never forget the impact of hearing that for the first time with the CMW. One of my musical icons.

Bruggen's 1999 set of the Sturm und Drang symphonies with the OAE was the release that turned admiration for Haydn into a deep love. I sought out Bruggen's recordings with the O18thC as they appeared thereafter - the Paris, 88-91 etc., and the 7 Last Words.
                    Then Harnoncourt produced his radical Paris set, fiery, dynamic, epic-dramatic with all repeats! And that uniquely apt CMW sound.
                    Too many outstanding Fey releases to mention (48 & 56, 41/44/47, 45/64, 49/52/58...amazingly consistent excellence and originality); but his own conducting icons are noted as Bernstein and Harnoncourt - so no wonder his Haydn has an expressive and interpretative intensity and - often - extremity matched by few others. When I need to hear Haydn - which is quite often - his recordings are now the first I reach for - ​every time. I never thought I'd hear a Hornsignal (No. 31) to match Harnoncourt, but his is at least its equal. Wonderful.

Individually: often go back to Rattle's CBSO albums - 60,70, 90 and 22, 86 and 102. Some of his best records.
                    Academia Byzantina/Ottavio Dantone's 78-81 is another marvel, I wish we could have more from them.
                    Favourite historical set: Hermann Scherchen's 1950s tapings with the VSO or VSOO.

Latterly the Haydn 2032 Series with Antonini has given us some fresh, vibrantly alive recordings often of the less well-known and Sturm und Drang works. I don't like everything he does, but always look forward to - and find much to fascinate in - each release.
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 15-07-18, 20:41.

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Can't do without Haydn - my desert island composer.

Yes to many already mentioned in the symphonies: Bruggen, Kuijken, Bernstein, Rattle … but also Solomons and Goodman in the early and middle symphonies, much of Dorati, and Furtwangler's indispensable 88.

And in the chamber music, Lindsays and Beaux Arts certainly … but also Pro Arte, Chiaroscuro and Kodaly Quartets.

For keyboard, yes to Schornsheim … but also Schiff.

And let's not underrate those pioneering opera recordings by Dorati.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

I enjoy Pinnock in the Sturm und Drang works and Hogwood in virtually all others, especially No. 104. Used to prefer Szell in the late Symphonies but I’ve become of a. HIPP convert of late. Still getting to know the Piano works and Brendel seems to be a good navigator here. I learned most of the Quartets via the Kodaly cycle and just starting to explore alternatives.

Comment

• Rolmill
                          • Nov 2010

I'm a great lover of Haydn and of the choral music in particular - so I would say 'yes' to the Pinnock 'Te Deum', but an even louder 'YES' to the Nelson Mass with which it is coupled, imo the finest Haydn mass recording I know. I have also recently acquired the McCreesh 'Creation' and think it is marvellous.

I agree with earlier recommendations for the piano trios with the Beaux Arts Trio and Hardenberger's recording of the trumpet concerto. I'm also very partial to the Mosaiques in his Op.20 string quartets and the London Haydn Quartet in Op.33.

Lots of symphony recordings, many already mentioned, but if I was only allowed one it would probably be the Kuijken set of 'Paris' symphonies (with Minkowski's 'London' symphonies set as runner up).

Finally, I love Elly Ameling's recording of the songs with Jorg Demus - beautiful singing of delightful music.

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

I have a special fondness for the selection of Haydn Masses that were recorded in that golden L'Oiseau Lyre era with the Choir of Christ Church Cathedral, the Academy of Ancient Music under Preston and Hogwood. Happily now available on two bargain discs. The sound is still so crisp and airy, the boys' voices are a delight. My particular favourite is the St Nicholas Mass.

On a much more intimate scale, I also adore the flute chamber music recorded by the Kuijken brothers on Accent..absolutely charming.

Last edited by MickyD; 16-07-18, 07:47.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
                              Finally, I love Elly Ameling's recording of the songs with Jorg Demus - beautiful singing of delightful music.
                              I'll happily second those song recordings. I never got to know the original Philips issue and only acquired them quite recently via Brilliant Classics.

Symphony 83, The Hen, has always been a favourite and Bernstein does a great job with New York Phil.

Comment

Working...
                              X