X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Britten's Double concerto

I was hoping that I could discover the details of the premiere recording of Britten's Double concerto in B minor for violin, viola and orchestra from 1932. From the pages of the excellent Britten-Pears foundation website I know the Double Concerto was first performed and broadcast on the 15th June 1997 at the Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Aldeburgh Festival. The soloists were Katherine Hunka (violin), Philip Dukes (viola) with the Britten-Pears Orchestra under. It is the first released recording that I want details of. Many thanks.
  • kuligin
    • Nov 2010

It was recorded by Kent Nagano with the Halle, soloists Bashmet and Kremer on Erato in 1999, I think that was the first release which followed a performance in Manchester which I attended.

Sorry to say I thought the concerto to be rather dull and have never bothered to hear it again!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Some details here:

Double concerto • Composed 1932
      violin and viola (compl. Colin Matthews)
      Jun 15, 1997 • Katherine Hunka, Philip Dukes, Britten-Pears Orchestra, Kent Nagano • Snape Maltings Concert Hall, Aldeburgh Festival

Recordings
      • February 8, 1998 ERATO-3984-25502-2
      Gidon Kremer, Yuri Bashmet, Hallé Orchestra, Kent Nagano
      Amazon: CD
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

There are two other recordings, one of which I possess.

Pieter Schoeman, Alexander Zemtsov, LPO, Jurowski, on LPO's own label

Benjamin Schmid. Daniel Raiskin, Berlin SO, Lior Shambadal, on Arte Nova.

I haven't heard the Jurowski but the Shambadal effort is well recorded but unmemorable, in my opinion. I speak as a Britten fan, but I found the couplings, violin and viola outings by Arthur Benjamin and Max Bruch, more agreeable.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

Britten fan though I am, I don't enjoy all his early orchestral music, and this concerto is very early. He was eighteen when he wrote it, and it predates his official Opus 1 (Sinfonietta).

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

Thank you all for your help I really appecaite it. Hello Kuligin didn you get my private message?

Comment

Working...
            X