X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
    Barbs, the difference between the PragueCO/Mackerras soloist (Oldrich Vlcek) and Boskovsky is not to my mind one of quality but of having different artistic goals. For one thing, Boskovsky was playing in the mid-century with heavy and continuous vibrato, while Vlcek, recorded in 1988, is clearly influenced by HIP learnings. He uses vibrato much more sparingly than Willi.

I remember having a conversation with Peter Cropper in the late 80s. As you'll be aware, the Lindsays were by no means an HIP band, but Peter said to me that they had nevertheless been strongly influenced by HIP notions, among them the use of vibrato.
    I don’t agree - I am all for HIPP violin playing - my shelves are adorned by recordings from Podger,Standage,Wallfisch et al but not for thin, inexpressive playing as on that Prague CO CD .

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mal View Post
      I agree about the lead violin, although I'm not too happy with the direction either, and the sound quality isn't up to much. This is going to the charity shop along with Marriner - too bland, it drags... although Iona Brown's violin playing is rather good, in patches. I've been scouring Amazon unlimited for something I might live with. I think I found it - one several forumistas have already mentioned - also Cowan & Kenyon's choice - Bruggen, with a beautiful violin performance by Lucy van Dael; direction is right, and so is sound quality. It passed my test of keeping me rapt throughout the whole performance, even at low bit rate, without a hint of boredom, and without wincing at the sound quality.There are some VG CDs at good prices, one less now,...

P.S. To give Mackerras his due, I'm really happy with his Jupiter/SCO, it's now my library choice. Also, I like Marriner in some of the later symphonies, and Piano Concertos with Brendel.
      The Brüggen/Lucy van Dael was chosen to represent the work in the Mozart 225 box. A fine choice, to my ears.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I see the old High Priest of Authenticity Stanley Sadie did not like the Bruggen much and I hear what he says about van Darl’s neat and rather inexpressive playing .

The search for a fully satisfying recording goes on .

Comment

Working...
        X