X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Orchestra Leader gets a credit

I've just been listening to a disc from the Chandos Prokofiev Symphony box with Neeme Järvi and RNSO. The info on the back of the box lists the Orchestra Leader - Edward Paling - as well as the orchestra and conductor. It must have struck me because this almost never seems to happen (or is this my imagination?). I suppose it is not essential but I thought it was quite a pleasant gesture.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

I think CHANDOS always used to so credit the orchestra leader - together with a full listing in the booklet of all the orchestra members. (Presumably just those taking part in the recording - unless this was "just" a copy of the orchestra's own personnel listing of the time?)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

It's nearly always been standard practice for most HIP orchestras to list all their players (and often their make of instruments).

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        It's nearly always been standard practice for most HIP orchestras to list all their players (and often their make of instruments).
        With the same names turning up in a wide range of such orchestras.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

It's something I associate with Lyrita too.

Comment

• silvestrione
            • Jan 2011

Off-topic I suppose, but what does the Leader do, to earn this? Apart from be First Violin. I've often wondered. I'm just ignorant, I mean, I'm not questioning the importance and status of the role.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
              • Nov 2010

Hyperion does this as well on their orchestral recordings. It does seem to be a UK thing. No American or at least past American (e.g. Columbia, now part of Sony) label did this much, if at all, to my understanding.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                Hyperion does this as well on their orchestral recordings. It does seem to be a UK thing. No American or at least past American (e.g. Columbia, now part of Sony) label did this much, if at all, to my understanding.
                The Levine (ahem!) Mahler 3 LP booklet lists all the players of the 1976 Chicago SO as does, most interestingly, the 1951 Knappertsbusch Bayreuth Festival Götterdämmerung on Testament.

Most LSO Live CDs do too.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Chandos always mentions the leader. So should other companies imo.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

One amateur orchestra I know has its leader come on stage after everyone else and just before the conductor, and take a special bow of his own.

I don't think professional orchestras do this any more, though they used to.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      Chandos always mentions the leader. So should other companies imo.
                      I've just looked at some Chandos discs and this is indeed the case. I decided to listen to Hummel Piano Concertos with Stephen Hough and ECO conducted by Bryden Thompson,
                      Leader José-Luis Garcia.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        I've just looked at some Chandos discs and this is indeed the case. I decided to listen to Hummel Piano Concertos with Stephen Hough and ECO conducted by Bryden Thompson,
                        Leader José-Luis Garcia.
                        I expect that's a fine recording!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          I expect that's a fine recording!
                          It is. They are substantial works and there's a lot to enjoy. One reason for the rare appearance of the pieces is the sheer virtuosity required. In the notes Stephen Hough admits that "learning these concertos was like a baptism of fire". They have only appeared before with sizeable cuts.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

I've been attending quite a few LPO concerts recently, and the leader Pieter Schoeman always comes onto the platform in traditional manner, receiving applause before supervising the orchestra tuning. This completed, the conductor walks onto the stage.
                            This is the standard way, and works well.
                            One thing I do find tiresome, and that's the applause when the musicians come on to the empty platform to audience applause which is sometime a bit scattered. After all, these are performers that we see regularly. If it's a visiting orchestra, then a welcome is very nice, but if they are old regulars it is different. After all, as a friend said " They haven't done anything yet!

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

I like the leader walking on first. If nothing else, it settles the audience and heightens anticipation.

Comment

Working...
                              X