X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

(Robert Levin's)
    organ-playing (was) ghastly in my view, and I did not get on with the playing generally.
    Come on now, silvestrione, get off the fence...
    That's 'as maybe' ( I haven't heard it, sorry) but maybe the organ generally was anathema to that superb fortepianist? I do recall that he did a brilliant job a few years back playing the true solo part in Beethoven's Op 17 Sonata for piano and horn, ,which I recorded as a filler for the AAM CD of the Mozart and Beethoven Quintets for piano and wind instruments.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Tony View Post
      (Robert Levin's)
      That's 'as maybe' ( I haven't heard it, sorry) but maybe the organ generally was anathema to that superb fortepianist? I do recall that he did a brilliant job a few years back playing the true solo part in Beethoven's Op 17 Sonata for piano and horn, ,which I recorded as a filler for the AAM CD of the Mozart and Beethoven Quintets for piano and wind instruments.
      I do have the Levin recording of the 48 (in the Hänssler complete JS Bach edition). I will give a few relevant P&Fs a spin. It's far too long since I last did so.

[By the way, the organ he used for BWV849, 852, 857,865, 867, 870, 874, 876, 878 and 891 is that originated in 1769 by Hinz, modified in 1792 by Van Dam and in 1975 by Metzler. It can be found in Wassenaar, Netherlands, see here. There is a generally fine review of teh Levin survey here, though the instrument count it wrong, Levin used both a single manual and a double manual harpsichord, making five instruments in all, not four.]
      Last edited by Bryn; 09-03-18, 17:23. Reason: Update.

Comment

• silvestrione
        • Jan 2011

Sorry, my general view, and usual experience, is that Robert Levin is a fine musician (and he has that rare gift, doesn't he, of being able to improvise a stunning cadenza, in a concerto!).

Comment

• kea
          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Hmm, but no dynamic indications in the first edition to suggest he wanted to exploit this essential aspect of the new instrument. However, was it not the Ricercar in three parts which is held by some to have been composed with the Silbermann instrument in mind?
          You are probably right and I just confused the two ricercars >.>

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

.....................totally fascinating........................

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
              (Robert Levin's)
              I'd forgotten that filler was on the CD, Tony...must dig it out and give it another listen.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

I hardly dare enter into this scarily knowledgeable fray but I've just discovered that, as well as the usual suspects (Hewitt x 2; Richter on Eurodisc; Schiff on ECM), I seem to have Maurizio Pollini playing Book 1 (in a cheapo DG box devoted to JSB). Anyone have any views? Is it worth listening to?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

I don't know the Pollini recording - but he's a pianist I'd gladly listen to as he was practising his scales; to hear him in Bach ...
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I don't know the Pollini recording - but he's a pianist I'd gladly listen to as he was practising his scales; to hear him in Bach ...
                    I didn't either? This would be interesting!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kea View Post
                      You are probably right and I just confused the two ricercars >.>
                      Taking this diversion a little further off topic, did you catch Matthias Arter's Aquarell on Bach's Ricercar a 6 during tonight's Radio 3 in Concert? I have yet to listen to it, but intend to do so soon. The whole 'concert' looks quite tasty.

Comment

• silvestrione
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        I hardly dare enter into this scarily knowledgeable fray but I've just discovered that, as well as the usual suspects (Hewitt x 2; Richter on Eurodisc; Schiff on ECM), I seem to have Maurizio Pollini playing Book 1 (in a cheapo DG box devoted to JSB). Anyone have any views? Is it worth listening to?
                        I have it and like it very much: the usual 'late' ('later'?) Pollini strengths and weaknesses, integrity, commitment, involvement, but a little unyielding and severe. Like the new Debussy disc!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                          the usual 'late' ('later'?) Pollini strengths and weaknesses, integrity, commitment, involvement, but a little unyielding and severe.
                          And what are the "weaknesses", silvestr1?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• silvestrione
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            And what are the "weaknesses", silvestr1?
                            Quite, chose the wrong word there...

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                              I have it and like it very much: the usual 'late' ('later'?) Pollini strengths and weaknesses, integrity, commitment, involvement, but a little unyielding and severe. Like the new Debussy disc!
                              Thanks, Silvestrione - your comments have prompted me to listen. It is all rather "sérieux" - and the sniffing/occasional singing along was a little disconcerting until I got used to it (always mainly from the right channel and a by-product of the rather close recording, I suspect, but then noises-off feature with Richter as well). Whatever, I've much enjoyed making its acquaintance.

Comment

Working...
                              X