X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy2112
    • Nov 2016

The Well-Tempered Clavier.

Once again I would like to tap into the knowledge bank that is the R3Forum. Way back I did have a copy of Glenn Gould performing The Well-Tempered Clavier. I have no idea where it is now so it's time for a replacement and I would love to hear of any recommendations. Has to be CD, preferably a much more recent version than Mr Gould's, last 20 or 30 years if possible, preferably both books. I look forward to finding an excuse to make Mr Bezos even richer. Thanks in advance.
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

I have always loved the vintage Kenneth Gilbert recording for Archiv Produktion - a superb Hemsch harpsichord and a beautiful recording. Since then I have also acquired Christine Schornsheim's account, which is very special as well, and again a magnificent instrument by Ruckers.

I always said I would stop at these, but having recently been impressed with Richard Egarr's Bach recordings of the Partitas, French and English suites, I feel I must have his '48' as well.

Comment

• Andy2112
      • Nov 2016

I knew I had forgotten something. Piano only please. Slaps own wrist...

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        I have always loved the vintage Kenneth Gilbert recording for Archiv Produktion - a superb Hemsch harpsichord and a beautiful recording. Since then I have also acquired Christine Schornsheim's account, which is very special as well, and again a magnificent instrument by Ruckers.

I always said I would stop at these, but having recently been impressed with Richard Egarr's Bach recordings of the Partitas, French and English suites, I feel I must have his '48' as well.
        Indded, you will not get much more HIPP than the Egarr, his instrument is tuned to Bradley Lehman's interpretation of the squiggly motif on the cover of Book 1.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Andy2112 View Post
          Why on an instrument Bach did not write the work for?

Comment

• waldo
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Why on an instrument Bach did not write the work for?
            Not this again........Doesn't it get boring?

Comment

• waldo
              • Mar 2013

Once again I would like to tap into the knowledge bank that is the R3Forum. Way back I did have a copy of Glenn Gould performing The Well-Tempered Clavier. I have no idea where it is now so it's time for a replacement and I would love to hear of any recommendations. Has to be CD, preferably a much more recent version than Mr Gould's, last 20 or 30 years if possible, preferably both books. I look forward to finding an excuse to make Mr Bezos even richer. Thanks in advance.
              Actually, I don't think Gould was at his best in these.......

For piano, you can't get much better than Angela Hewitt on Hyperion. If I could only have one version, that would be it - though, as with other towering masterpieces, no one intrepretation is really enough. She has recorded it twice; not much between them except the latter has more rubato and is a bit more "expressive". On balance, I prefer the earlier recording (still modern, excellent sound), but that's probably because that is what I am used to. Anyway, you can listen to long excerpts on the Hyperion site.

For something different - for something "hotter"! - you might try Richter. The sound is pretty crappy, as it is usually is with him, but still good enough. I don't know how many versions there are floating about. I've got two recordings of book 1, and one of them is in much better sound. Anyway, the standard complete set is the RCA Victor one.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by waldo View Post
                Not this again........Doesn't it get boring?
                It doesn't have to ... Andy's reasons might be interesting.

But I would suggest - to widen the appeal - that suggestions for both/either Harpsichord and Piano (or, indeed, synthesizers etc ...) should be included here. Then we can all cherry pick the ones that appeal to us.

(Otherwise, we could change the name of the Thread to The Bad-Tempered Clamouring?)
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by waldo View Post
                  For piano, you can't get much better than Angela Hewitt on Hyperion. If I could only have one version, that would be it - though, as with other towering masterpieces, no one intrepretation is really enough. She has recorded it twice; not much between them except the latter has more rubato and is a bit more "expressive". On balance, I prefer the earlier recording (still modern, excellent sound), but that's probably because that is what I am used to. Anyway, you can listen to long excerpts on the Hyperion site.
                  We're actually booked to hear Angela Hewitt play Book 1 here in Pembrokeshire on April 6. In preparation I've been immersing myself in her recordings (1997-9, repackaged by Hyperion in 2007). I This is an equal opportunities household - this is my only set of the 48, but as well as both AH Goldbergs (I've heard her play them live twice) I have two versions of those on harpsichord, and as well as AH's Art of Fugue I now have several others for various combinations. Angela signed my Art of Fugue set for me the last time we saw her here - I've had the pleasure of talking to her several times. Quite apart from anything else her booklet notes are always exemplary, those to her 48 set no exception. I find her playing illuminating.

She's playing the Goldberg in Cardiff a couple of days later, on April 8, though I'll not be going to that.

Comment

• waldo
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    It doesn't have to ... Andy's reasons might be interesting. )
                    I suppose..........

It would just be a pity to see yet another thread collapse into the usual HIPP vs non-HIPP scuffle. But including the harpsichord certainly broadens the appeal.

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Wouldn't want to be without Gould. Or Ton Koopman on another instrument.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Harpsichord Richard Eggar
                        Piano Andras Schiff(Decca)
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beresford
                          • Apr 2012

One of my favourites is Gary Cooper on harpsichord - quite slow and thoughtful.

ps. A good hi-fi makes the harpsichord sound less jangly.

Comment

• waldo
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro
                            Harpsichord Richard Eggar
                            Piano Andras Schiff(Decca)
                            I am baffled by the Eggar recommendations............I found him to be utterly intolerable. Far too much pushing and pulling at the tempo for my liking. I felt as if I was being tripped up every few bars. A pity (for me) because the sound is so gorgeous. On the odd occasions when I fancy a harpsichord, I go for Kenneth Gilbert, who lets the music flow in a way I like.

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

I do have one piano version...Jeno Jando on Naxos, and I like it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X