• Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Very poor that.
    Exactly!

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      If you want absolutely up to the minute recordings then you could wait for the new Ticciati/Scottish Chamber Orchestra cds to be released. Not reviewed yet but I'm told they should be pretty good! :
      Released 23 March. Very tempted.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        Released 23 March. Very tempted.
        A friend in the SCO tells me they should be something special!

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          A friend in the SCO tells me they should be something special!
          One has come to trust conductor and orchestra. Trailer on YouTube heightens anticipation stilll further.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Just a comment on the Jurowski. This is the typical uncaring approach from record companies and their diregard for collectors - those of us who have already spent their well-earned cash on the Syms 1 4 5 6 & Manfred may wish to buy Syms 2/3 and the Francesca and Serenade for Strings, but to do so will have to buy the box with the duplicates. Nothing new for us life-time collectors who have invested heavily in the industry!
            Couldn't agree more! It's very disappointing to see an orchestra own label indulging in this sort of practise which one would have hoped to be a relic of the bad old days.

Another vote here for Philhrmonia/Klemperer in Brahms and LPO/Jurowski in the Tchaikovsky.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Very poor that.
              I have sent a missive to LPO Records but I don't think it will make a lot of difference.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

I have sent a missive to LPO Records but I don't think it will make a lot of difference.
                Is Laurie Watt of this parish still connected with the LPO label? There have been many fine issues on the label and it's disappointing to have offer this particular complaint.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andy2112 View Post
                  Looking to fill a couple of glaring gaps on my CD shelves. Would welcome any recommendations for recordings of the 1st symphonies by Brahms and Tchaikovsky. CD only, reasonably modern recordings prefered. Thanks in advance for your advice (moderator please move this to a more appropriate location of this is not the correct part of the site)
                  Interesting question, do you know the works at all? If you don't, get one of the many recordings listed above and decide what you think. Brahms 1 is a great work, certainly worthy of more than one recording is you fall for it, the Tchaik less so. To start you off, many of the recordings are on cheap labels. You'll have to make up your own mind on how important recording quality is, for me I have the 70s Karajan Brahms set and it still sounds fine, the LSO Gergiev Tchaik is good modern sound.

Comment

• Andy2112
                    • Nov 2016

Sincere thanks for the many thoughtful and detailed responses to my request. By way of background, I have known and enjoyed the Brahms work for many years and was astounded to find that I lack a recording. Amongst my varied and bizarre musical tastes, which span a number of centuries from early music at the one end through to motown, northern soul, new wave, prog, hard rock, NWOBHM, rare groove, jazz funk and even new country (told you it was bizarre) i am ashamed to say that the Tchaikovsky symphonies are a recent discovery, with No 1 being especially enjoyable to me. The varied comments and guidance are extremely welcome and the sheer depth of musical knowledge and apreciation I always find on this forum is an inspiration. I plan to use a spare hour or so this weekend to go through the recomendations in detail and see if I can keep my purchases down to a level that doesn't result in too much eyebrow raising from Mrs 2112 when Amazon come a knocking. Thanks once again.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

You are welcome (in both senses of the expression :biggrin) Andy.

(The Tchaikovsky First is a great favourite of mine, too. )
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Hope to hear more of you Andy2112!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andy2112 View Post
                          Looking to fill a couple of glaring gaps on my CD shelves. Would welcome any recommendations for recordings of the 1st symphonies by Brahms and Tchaikovsky. CD only, reasonably modern recordings prefered. Thanks in advance for your advice (moderator please move this to a more appropriate location of this is not the correct part of the site)
                          Apologies for me entering the debate at such a late stage, but two Tchaikovsky 1sts that come to mind as being particularly good renditions are Lorin Maazel/Wiener Philharmoniker (Decca) and Rostropovich conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra (EMI)

As for Brahms's symphony no. 1; there are many excellent recommendations on here - maybe best to try and sample as many as you can - the world's your oyster!

Hope we'll be hearing more from you on here - enjoy the music....

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Two very good Tchaik 1s not mentioned below (unless I missed them) are LSO/Markevitch And NPO/Muti and of course the old Svetlanov on Melodiya!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Two very good Tchaik 1s not mentioned below (unless I missed them) are LSO/Markevitch And NPO/Muti and of course the old Svetlanov on Melodiya!
                              And another one: the excellent Andrew Litton with Bournemouth SO.

Comment

• Alison
                                • Nov 2010

Just played the Klemperer Brahms 1 and fully endorse the recommendation.

Thrillingly alive.

Comment

Working...
                                X