X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy2112
    • Nov 2016

Brahms 1st symphony, Tchaikovsky 1st symphony

Looking to fill a couple of glaring gaps on my CD shelves. Would welcome any recommendations for recordings of the 1st symphonies by Brahms and Tchaikovsky. CD only, reasonably modern recordings prefered. Thanks in advance for your advice (moderator please move this to a more appropriate location of this is not the correct part of the site)
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Hi Andy. May I recommend, for Brahms 1, the classic Klemperer/Philharmonia recording on EMI/Warner? Absolutely granite performance imho! It's available very cheaply as well. Something more modern? Any of Karajan's performances with the mighty Berlin Philharmonic should fit the bill including a live account on the Testament label.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Depending on how modern - you could do a lot worse than Karajan's 1970s traversals of both - on cheap 2CD sets which mean you get all Brahms symphonies and the first three Tchaikovsky.

Il Grande Inquisitor of this parish raved about the Petrenko Tchaikovsky 1 my favourite modernish recording of the Brahms 1 would be the Berlin Phil /Abbado account.
      Last edited by Barbirollians; 28-02-18, 12:42.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Hi Andy. May I recommend, for Brahms 1, the classic Klemperer/Philharmonia recording on EMI/Warner? Absolutely granite performance imho! It's available very cheaply as well. Something more modern? Any of Karajan's performances with the mighty Berlin Philharmonic should fit the bill including a live account on the Testament label.
        The live Karajan Brahms 1 is stupendous . If Klemperer counts as modern I would suggest Bruno Walter's very cheap Brahms set on Sony.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Hi Andy2112

In terms of Brahms 1, everything suggested so far is stupendous and whatever you go for, you can't miss!

However, on this forum IMO we do tend to reinforce traditions and we are quite poor in exploring more up to date stuff (who can blame us when such time-honoured riches are available?!), so I'd draw your attention to a more modern recent, recording albeit of an allegedly 'traditional' conductor. Christian Thielemann and the Staatskapelle Dresden on Deutsche Grammophon. It's a top-notch performance with this outstanding orchestra in stunning in sound quality - the playing is utterly sublime.

In fact if you get the box set, which is quite cheap on Amazon, you also get a DVD of the piano concertos and violin concerto.

And if you can't read a score, or prefer a narrative walk-through the symphony, this is pretty good http://www.kellydeanhansen.com/opus68.html

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Tchaikovsky Sym 1 Tilson Thomas, Gergiev, Petrenko or Jurowsky
            Brahms Sym 1 - the three Ks - Kempe, Karajan or Klemperer

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              Hi Andy2112

... However, on this forum IMO we do tend to reinforce traditions and we are quite poor in exploring more up to date stuff in sound quality ...
              If you fancy a recentish, more slimline approach, I'd recommend Mackerras with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                Hi Andy2112

In terms of Brahms 1, everything suggested so far is stupendous and whatever you go for, you can't miss!

However, on this forum IMO we do tend to reinforce traditions and we are quite poor in exploring more up to date stuff (who can blame us when such time-honoured riches are available?!), so I'd draw your attention to a more modern recent, recording albeit of an allegedly 'traditional' conductor. Christian Thielemann and the Staatskapelle Dresden on Deutsche Grammophon. It's a top-notch performance with this outstanding orchestra in stunning in sound quality - the playing is utterly sublime.

In fact if you get the box set, which is quite cheap on Amazon, you also get a DVD of the piano concertos and violin concerto.

And if you can't read a score, or prefer a narrative walk-through the symphony, this is pretty good http://www.kellydeanhansen.com/opus68.html
                Regarding Tchaikovsky 1, I've always had a soft spot for Dorati and the LSO on Mercury if you can still find it. The recording is very good for the time ( Walthamstow Town Hall)

Otherwise the much esteemed set with Jansons and the Oslo PO is a strong recommendation. I absolutely agree with others that the Klemperer / Philharmonia Brahms is magnificent, especially for that pounding opening, a must for any collection. The first BPO Karajan on DG is great as well.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                  If you fancy a recentish, more slimline approach, I'd recommend Mackerras with the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.
                  Yes, but I think the beauty of the Thielemann is that it is both recent and big-bandish!

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

We need a BaL on Tchaikovsky 1!

For some reason it seems easy to enjoy whoever is performing.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      For some reason it seems easy to enjoy whoever is performing.

Thank you for that lovely observation! I agree completely.

Mariss Jansons and The Olso Philharmonic Orchestra, for me.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Maazel's Vienna recording of Tchaik 1 is rather good, with those magnificent Viennese horns in the slow movement. It isn't recent, but John Culshaw's Decca recordings are almost always very fine indeed.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

... many fine recommendations of the Brahms above, I don't think you would go far wrong with any of them.

Tho' personally I wouldn't want to be without the lucid account by Roger Norrington with the London Classical Players -

I have nothing to say about Tchaikovsky.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Maazel's Vienna recording of Tchaik 1 is rather good, with those magnificent Viennese horns in the slow movement. It isn't recent, but John Culshaw's Decca recordings are almost always very fine indeed.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Brahms 1: LSO/Haitink (LSO Live)
                              Tchaikovsky 1: LSO, Gergiev 9LSO Live)
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X