• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Juilliard String Quartet, Complete Epic recordings, 1956/66

A particularly warm welcome for today's delivery of Juilliard String Quartet:
    The complete Epic recordings, 1956/66, the first-ever release in a single
    11-CD edition; 4LPs appearing for the first time on CD, 8CDs remastered
    from the analogue tapes; Facsimile LP sleeves and labels, 40 page booklet with full
    discographical notes. A treat to explore!

Contents include Mendelssohn- Str Qts 2 & 3, Beethoven- 'Rasumovsky & Harp Qts,
    Benjamin Lees, Str Qt 1, Wm Denny, Str Qt 2, Mozart -The Haydn Qts, 14,15,16,17,18, & 19,
    Haydn-Str Qt in G major, Str Qt in C major, Str Qt in E Major; Schubert- Str Qt No15-D887,
    Brahms- Quintet, Op34, Schubert- Str Qt, No 13-Rosamunde,D804, StrQt No9,D173

Memories to treasure.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
    A particularly warm welcome for today's delivery of Juilliard String Quartet:
    The complete Epic recordings, 1956/66, the first-ever release in a single
    11-CD edition; 4LPs appearing for the first time on CD, 8CDs remastered
    from the analogue tapes; Facsimile LP sleeves and labels, 40 page booklet with full
    discographical notes. A treat to explore!

Contents include Mendelssohn- Str Qts 2 & 3, Beethoven- 'Rasumovsky & Harp Qts,
    Benjamin Lees, Str Qt 1, Wm Denny, Str Qt 2, Mozart -The Haydn Qts, 14,15,16,17,18, & 19,
    Haydn-Str Qt in G major, Str Qt in C major, Str Qt in E Major; Schubert- Str Qt No15-D887,
    Brahms- Quintet, Op34, Schubert- Str Qt, No 13-Rosamunde,D804, StrQt No9,D173

Memories to treasure.
    Thanks, Stan. I have the Bartok six, which I believe were recorded in the 1970s anyway. I persuaded the chap behind the counter at the record store where I bought them to play the first movements of each one before deciding. In spite of which, no one vacated the shop. And they're excellent, if this is anything to do by.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

I'd really like a set of the Bartok string quartets by the Juilliards but I'm unsure which one to go for. There are three, I think.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        I'd really like a set of the Bartok string quartets by the Juilliards but I'm unsure which one to go for. There are three, I think.
        It turns out my recordings were made in 1963, so presumably are included in the set. My vinyl copies are on CBS Classics. Having also had the Vegh and Fine Arts sets previously, with the slight proviso that No 1 tends slightly towards shrillness in the upper register in the slow fugal movement of No 1 - which might be to other's tastes - I have little difficulty in recommending all six.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Avoid their final set. The 1963 is very fine.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            It turns out my recordings were made in 1963, so presumably are included in the set. My vinyl copies are on CBS Classics. Having also had the Vegh and Fine Arts sets previously, with the slight proviso that No 1 tends slightly towards shrillness in the upper register in the slow fugal movement of No 1 - which might be to other's tastes - I have little difficulty in recommending all six.
            Yes, the 1963 set seems the favoured one. Here's what Gramophone think ..............

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Avoid their final set. The 1963 is very fine.
              Do you have a view on which release? Pristine Classical?

P.S. What's wrong with the 1981 digital set?

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Do you have a view on which release? Pristine Classical?

P.S. What's wrong with the 1981 digital set?
                By then the changes in personnel and march of time had led to far less idiomatic performance of Bartok, to my and many others' ears. The 1949 set is rather special, but the mono sound dose not do justice to the playing. I have the Sony issues of the 1963 and 1981 sets, and the West Hill Radio 1949 set which also has the Schönberg and Berg quartets, and the Webern Op. 5.

Last edited by Bryn; 09-02-18, 20:18. Reason: Images added.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Thanks Bryn. 1963 seems nla and pricey! I'll look around.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Thanks Bryn. 1963 seems nla and pricey! I'll look around.
                    It's pretty outrageous that the 1963 set has been out of the catalogue for so long. I can't even find lossless downloads of it on the Internet, just lossy iTunes, etc. I had better rip mind as an insurance measure.

[Ah, digging out the CDs of the 1963 recordings I was reminded that I had already backed up Nos. 3, 4 and 5 since No. 4 is spit over 2 discs in the 2001 Sony France release. So just 1, 2 and 6 to be done.]
                    Last edited by Bryn; 09-02-18, 21:36. Reason: Update.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

The 1963 set made an appearance in a Woody Allen movie of the time (I forget which one). Allen has a date and he wants to impress her with his intellectual prowess so he worries about just where in the apartment to ‘casually ‘ display the Bartok.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        The 1963 set made an appearance in a Woody Allen movie of the time (I forget which one). Allen has a date and he wants to impress her with his intellectual prowess so he worries about just where in the apartment to ‘casually ‘ display the Bartok.
                        Play it Again, Sam - Allen seeks Keaton's advice: Oscar Peterson or Bartok. Keaton suggests playing the Peterson and leaving the Bartok out on show.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• umslopogaas
                          • Nov 2010

I'm a bit confused about the dates. I have the original LP issues of the Juilliard Quartet playing the six Bartok quartets. They are on the Columbia label, SAX 5260-2, and discs and sleeve notes (by James Goodfriend) are both dated 1965. Perhaps the recordings were actually made earlier, but not issued on LP until 1965, whereas the CDs (presumably previous posts refer to CD issues) revert to the date of recording?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                            I'm a bit confused about the dates. I have the original LP issues of the Juilliard Quartet playing the six Bartok quartets. They are on the Columbia label, SAX 5260-2, and discs and sleeve notes (by James Goodfriend) are both dated 1965. Perhaps the recordings were actually made earlier, but not issued on LP until 1965, whereas the CDs (presumably previous posts refer to CD issues) revert to the date of recording?
                            Everything that I've read gives the three sets, dates of 1949, 1963 & 1981.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                              Release dates may also differ for the U.S. and the U.K. Perhaps the 1963 set wasn’t released in the U.K. Until 1965

Comment

Working...
                              X