• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Debussy Preludes and other bits

I really enjoyed the Debussy piano music item on today's programme, especially the parallel Hyperions by Hough and Osborne. I don't often leap to order a CD after Record Review, but I think I might plump for Stephen Hough as a forthcoming birthday prezzie.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I really enjoyed the Debussy piano music item on today's programme, especially the parallel Hyperions by Hough and Osborne. I don't often leap to order a CD after Record Review, but I think I might plump for Stephen Hough as a forthcoming birthday prezzie.
    Gives new meaning to that famous phrase: "Don't bother him today, he's got the Hough"!

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Haven’t heard Hough. I learned these pieces from Peter Frankl on noisy Vox lps then came to regard Michangelli as a God send on CD. The Frankl actually sounds highly competitive in a digital incarnation. I didn’t care for the ballyhooed Gieseking or Zimmerman either but amongst modern Pianists Amy Gustafson and Craig Sheppard impress. It’s hard to get that “Piano Without hammers “ sound

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

It's hard to get that “Piano Without hammers “ sound
        Hough might be your man. [Person?]

Comment

• Beresford
          • Apr 2012

I too enjoy hearing how different pianists interpret Debussy - so much variety - and the composer himself "detested" what most of the piano virtuosi of the day did to his music. I found Osborne too much like Beethoven, and Hough too much like Grieg (?). The Korean Seong-Jin Cho was very good - for my taste - perhaps a little too careful at the end of Pagodas. There was a pianist called Nilsson playing Pagodas and more on TTN last Friday morning - quite gentle, without being nonchalant, letting the music speak for itself. But my favourite by a long way, for dynamics if not for the piano sound, is Daniel Ericourt, recorded in the 1960's.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I knew about the Osborne cycle but didn’t know about Hough’s. He came to my school, where I work, to give a masterclass and recital! Very enjoyable too. I might st have to buy them both !
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

I was most taken with the Cho extracts - Osborne is too hard edged for me in this repertoire for all his extraordinary skill . Then again nobody has ever shifted me from my devotion to Livia Rev's Saga recordings of Debussy piano music .
              Last edited by Barbirollians; 29-01-18, 10:58.

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

Both Hyperion recordings were terrific. I didn't associate Hough with Debussy but will from now on. Steven Osborne is as they say, something else and one of the pianists I'd always try to hear.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  I was most taken with the Cho extracts - Osborne is too hard edged for me in this repertoire for all his extraordinary skill . Then again nobody has ever shifted me from my devotion to Livi Rev's Saga recordings of Debussy piano music .
                  Such a pity that the 4 CD set issue of the Saga set was incomplete*. Good to have what was included though.

*Missing from the CDs, though present in the 6 LP box, are:

Masques
                  L'Isle Joyeuse
                  Rèverie
                  the 3 Éstampes
                  Valse Romantique
                  Petit Négre

She appears not to have recorded the third of the Images Oubliées, Quelques aspects de Nous n'irons plus au bois parce qu’il fait un temps insupportable.
                  Last edited by Bryn; 28-01-18, 18:51. Reason: Update

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Such a pity that the 4 CD set issue of the Saga set was incomplete*. Good to have what was included though.

*Missing from the CDs, though present in the 6 LP box, are:

Masques
                    L'Isle Joyeuse
                    Rèverie
                    the 3 Éstampes
                    Valse Romantique
                    Petit Négre

She appears not to have recorded the third of the Images Oubliées, Quelques aspects de Nous n'irons plus au bois parce qu’il fait un temps insupportable.
                    She is still with us at 101years of age .

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

She is still with us at 101years of age .
                      I somehow doubt she will be recording the missing Image she forgot.

Comment

• Beresford
                        • Apr 2012

I was most taken with the Cho extracts - Osborne is too hard edged for me in this repertoire for all his extraordinary skill . Then again nobody has ever shifted me from my devotion to Livi Rev's Saga recordings of Debussy piano music .
                        Thanks for this. I had never heard Livia Rev play Debussy until I listened to her on YouTube yesterday. A joy - so much empathy with the flow of the music, even in the Etudes. I suspect she would be similarly impressive in Chopin Nocturnes.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Have I missed something here but I haven’t seen mentioned so far, Mitsuko Uchida. Her performances are rather sublime. They have just the right ebb and flow for this music.
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beresford View Post
                            Thanks for this. I had never heard Livia Rev play Debussy until I listened to her on YouTube yesterday. A joy - so much empathy with the flow of the music, even in the Etudes. I suspect she would be similarly impressive in Chopin Nocturnes.
                            Her Chopin and Mendelssohn recordings on Hyperion are well worth buying.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Have I missed something here but I haven’t seen mentioned so far, Mitsuko Uchida. Her performances are rather sublime. They have just the right ebb and flow for this music.
                              I don’t know that she recorded the Preludes, BBm, although she did a fine disc of the etudes

Comment

Working...
                              X