• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Streaming and the Future of the "Record Library"

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    Bizarre that the winner is now only available as a download..
    I'm not sure I agree with you on this, MickyD. The programme is about identifying the best recording. It's not been about building a 'library' for some time now, we just haven't caught up with this (we still refer to it as BaL in this forum). Before, there were only three ways to hear a work - live, radio broadcast or buying hard copy (LP, CD cassette etc). Now people stream, download, buy CDs etc. So, it's the recordings that must be reviewed and the best one chosen.
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you, Beefy, it is all about the best recording, whatever the format. But what I find odd is that such a mainstream work as Handel Op.3 is not available for we dinosaurs on CD.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      The programme is about identifying the best recording. It's not been about building a 'library' for some time now, we just haven't caught up with this (we still refer to it as BaL in this forum).
      The BBC Record Review website also still refers to this section of the programme as Building a Library. Not that this conflicts with your point about the "best recording" - can't a collection of downloads also count as a"library"? (Interesting aspect about streaming, though - paying to "borrow" a recording from somebody else's "store": a modern version of borrowing records from the Public Library?)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        The BBC Record Review website also still refers to this section of the programme as Building a Library. Not that this conflicts with your point about the "best recording" - can't a collection of downloads also count as a"library"? (Interesting aspect about streaming, though - paying to "borrow" a recording from somebody else's "store": a modern version of borrowing records from the Public Library?)
        Indeed it does, but most people stream their music theses days, generally speaking - it's hard to know how the idea of 'building a library' could apply to the main body of listeners.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Indeed it does, but most people stream their music theses days, generally speaking - it's hard to know how the idea of 'building a library' could apply to the main body of listeners.
          Is this true of most listeners to this sort/these sorts of repertoire?

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Long and very interesting article here.

Streaming has changed the way an increasing number of people now listen to music, yet many record labels say that the numbers just don't add up. Charlotte Gardner looks at how the classical music industry is facing up to this fresh challenge
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature...e-of-streaming

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature...e-of-streaming
                I can't say "I told you so", but I'd worked out this conundrum long ago.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Not sure where the information is. But Spotify, Qobuz, iTunes and the recently joining providers are more interested in their streaming customers and pretty much ignore their downloading clients. Qobuz don't give a monkey's about downloaders by comparison.

And if most listeners of this sort of repertoire aren't streamers, then by definition, it's all over and there will be no libraries, imminently. So what's the point of talking about 'building a library'?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Not sure where the information is. But Spotify, Qobuz, iTunes and the recently joining providers are more interested in their streaming customers and pretty much ignore their downloading clients. Qobuz don't give a monkey's about downloaders by comparison.

And if most listeners of this sort of repertoire aren't streamers, then by definition, it's all over and there will be no libraries, imminently. So what's the point of talking about 'building a library'?
                    That's not exactly the "message" coming from the article ts links to, where there is a suggestion that many listeners (enough to influence a record company's market share) are using streaming platforms as a means of helping them decide which downloads to buy.

Furthermore, it could be that streaming has been a key factor in Signum's market share rising in 2014 from 0.3 per cent to 0.6 per cent. ‘I couldn't stake my life on it, but at the moment it looks like for every thousand streams that are on Apple Music we're seeing a download in iTunes,’ comments Long. ‘Plus, our best-selling track download is being mirrored by what's being promoted on Apple Music, and it's not unique repertoire either: it's core repertoire where there are literally hundreds of versions available. We can't prove that people are streaming and then downloading, but it does seem like a striking coincidence!’

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

That's not exactly the "message" coming from the article ts links to, where there is a suggestion that many listeners (enough to influence a record company's market share) are using streaming platforms as a means of helping them decide which downloads to buy.

Furthermore, it could be that streaming has been a key factor in Signum's market share rising in 2014 from 0.3 per cent to 0.6 per cent. ‘I couldn't stake my life on it, but at the moment it looks like for every thousand streams that are on Apple Music we're seeing a download in iTunes,’ comments Long. ‘Plus, our best-selling track download is being mirrored by what's being promoted on Apple Music, and it's not unique repertoire either: it's core repertoire where there are literally hundreds of versions available. We can't prove that people are streaming and then downloading, but it does seem like a striking coincidence!’
                      I'm convinced that people are using streaming to influence downloading decisions. I do that too. But it's not the point. I think it's quite sad that people don't realise that what they can or cannot 'stake their lives on', is what they want to believe, rather than a reality.

[Can this be made into a separate thread?]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

I'm convinced that people are using streaming to influence downloading decisions. I do that too. But it's not the point. I think it's quite sad that people don't realise that what they can or cannot 'stake their lives on', is what they want to believe, rather than a reality.
                        I'm sure that you're probably not wrong in your assessment - although for the time being there are still sufficient numbers of listeners to Record Review who wish to build a library - even if only to have a library when there aren't things on sale to "build" it any further. The keenness of recording companies to produce new CDs suggests that the market is still there - even if significant quantities is taken from back catalogues. That is still a "reality" for now. What things will be like in five months or five years - or twenty (when CDs become the retro in-thing) is another matter - then the title of "Building a Library" will obviously have to change.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

[Can this be made into a separate thread?]
                          Done!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Done!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

I'm sure that you're probably not wrong in your assessment - although for the time being there are still sufficient numbers of listeners to Record Review who wish to build a library - even if only to have a library when there aren't things on sale to "build" it any further. The keenness of recording companies to produce new CDs suggests that the market is still there - even if significant quantities is taken from back catalogues. That is still a "reality" for now. What things will be like in five months or five years - or twenty (when CDs become the retro in-thing) is another matter - then the title of "Building a Library" will obviously have to change.
                              I think we are already past that stage. It's an ever decreasing circle.

The parallel with concert going is apposite. Yes, we can still witness well attended evenings, but the pool of people that these attendances is drawn from is rapidly shrinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X