• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanley Stewart
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Leonard Bernstein on DVD, Vol 1

A sense of frisson to receive Leonard Bernstein, Vol 1 - six dvd set, many new to DVD in pristine remastering, Unitel Classica, £40 99 + postage from the river people, about £14 less than a competitor.
    A welcome companion set to LB's, Mahler Symphonies on DVD some years ago.

Couldn't wait to sample the two disc set of Sibelius Symphonies 1, 2, 5 & 7, VPO, recorded 'live' at Vienna's Musikverein, looking penny- plain without the floral additions for the New Year's Day concert, but the acoustic still crackles with electricity when the maestro is on the podium. Sadly,
    his death 1990, left an incomplete cycle. I've only listened to Sym No 2 but the hushed intensity in the audience also speak volumes.

The remaining volumes include, Beethoven Str Qt No 16, version for string orchestra, VPO.
    Haydn, Missa in Tempore Belli, Chor und Symphonie Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks,
    Blegen, Fassbaender, Ahnsjo, Sotin.

Debussy's impressionistic sound worlds explored in Images, Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune,
    La Mer. Orchestra Dell' Accademia Nazionale Di Santa Cecilia/LB.

Leonard Berstein, Larger Than Life. A 76 mins documentary includes interviews with Gustavo Dudamel, Stephen Sondheim, Kent Nagano, Marin Alsop, Peter Jonas, Christoph Eschenbach, Norman Lebrecht, members of the Vienna Philharmonics, Craig Urquhart and many others, including LB's children.

Tanglewood, 75th Anniversary Celebration; Emanuel Ax, Keith Lockhart, Yo-Yo Ma,
    Anne-Sophie Nutter, Andris Nelsons, Peter Serkin, James Taylor, John Williams and
    David Zinman. Total running time, 112 mins. Boston SO, Boston Pops,
    Tanglewood Music Centre Orchestra play Copland, Bernstein, Selections from the Great
    American Songbook, Tchai, Andante Cantabile, Sarasate, Carmen Fantasy, Ravel, La Valse,
    and Beethoven's Choral Fantasy. A bit disappointed that they didn't include extracts from LB's 1988, 70th birthday concert which includes a hilarious parody by Sondheim of Jenny's soliliquy,
    Lady in the Dark, "Jenny made her mind up..", changed to 'Lenny Made his mind up...' with frequent cuts to LB quite gobsmacked and outrageous! I still laugh after several hundred viewings. The Tanglewood Choir ended the evening with a gorgeous rendition of 'Make Our Garden Grow, (Candide) which deeply moved the maestro. I only saw him in concert, at a Barbican performance of On The Town, a couple of years before his death,
    with Betty Comden & Adolph Green, Frederica Von Stade, Thos Hampson, Samuel Ramey,
    Cleo Laine, Evelyn Lear, Marie McLaughlin and Tyne Daly as 'Hilde'. My only surprise was to note his slender stature, around 5' 6", nevertheless a giant with high voltage on the podium.
    I'm impatient to resume viewing over the weekend.
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
    A sense of frisson to receive Leonard Bernstein, Vol 1 - six dvd set, many new to DVD in pristine remastering, Unitel Classica, £40 99 + postage from the river people, about £14 less than a competitor.
    A welcome companion set to LB's, Mahler Symphonies on DVD some years ago.

Couldn't wait to sample the two disc set of Sibelius Symphonies 1, 2, 5 & 7, VPO, recorded 'live' at Vienna's Musikverein, looking penny- plain without the floral additions for the New Year's Day concert, but the acoustic still crackles with electricity when the maestro is on the podium. Sadly,
    his death 1990, left an incomplete cycle. I've only listened to Sym No 2 but the hushed intensity in the audience also speak volumes.

The remaining volumes include, Beethoven Str Qt No 16, version for string orchestra, VPO.
    Haydn, Missa in Tempore Belli, Chor und Symphonie Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks,
    Blegen, Fassbaender, Ahnsjo, Sotin.

Debussy's impressionistic sound worlds explored in Images, Prelude a l'apres-midi d'un faune,
    La Mer. Orchestra Dell' Accademia Nazionale Di Santa Cecilia/LB.

Leonard Berstein, Larger Than Life. A 76 mins documentary includes interviews with Gustavo Dudamel, Stephen Sondheim, Kent Nagano, Marin Alsop, Peter Jonas, Christoph Eschenbach, Norman Lebrecht, members of the Vienna Philharmonics, Craig Urquhart and many others, including LB's children.

Tanglewood, 75th Anniversary Celebration; Emanuel Ax, Keith Lockhart, Yo-Yo Ma,
    Anne-Sophie Nutter, Andris Nelsons, Peter Serkin, James Taylor, John Williams and
    David Zinman. Total running time, 112 mins. Boston SO, Boston Pops,
    Tanglewood Music Centre Orchestra play Copland, Bernstein, Selections from the Great
    American Songbook, Tchai, Andante Cantabile, Sarasate, Carmen Fantasy, Ravel, La Valse,
    and Beethoven's Choral Fantasy. A bit disappointed that they didn't include extracts from LB's 1988, 70th birthday concert which includes a hilarious parody by Sondheim of Jenny's soliliquy,
    Lady in the Dark, "Jenny made her mind up..", changed to 'Lenny Made his mind up...' with frequent cuts to LB quite gobsmacked and outrageous! I still laugh after several hundred viewings. The Tanglewood Choir ended the evening with a gorgeous rendition of 'Make Our Garden Grow, (Candide) which deeply moved the maestro. I only saw him in concert, at a Barbican performance of On The Town, a couple of years before his death,
    with Betty Comden & Adolph Green, Frederica Von Stade, Thos Hampson, Samuel Ramey,
    Cleo Laine, Evelyn Lear, Marie McLaughlin and Tyne Daly as 'Hilde'. My only surprise was to note his slender stature, around 5' 6", nevertheless a giant with high voltage on the podium.
    I'm impatient to resume viewing over the weekend.
    This looks marvellous - thank for the details. Incidentally, I think what you saw him conduct at the Barbican was probably "Candide"? - "On the Town" with the cast you describe was conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas (exceptionally well) just after LB died.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
      This looks marvellous - thank for the details. Incidentally, I think what you saw him conduct at the Barbican was probably "Candide"? - "On the Town" with the cast you describe was conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas (exceptionally well) just after LB died.
      Indeed, makropulos, a senior moment, it was Candide! Lordy, me!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I only saw him in concert, at a Barbican performance of Candide, a couple of years before his death,
        with Betty Comden & Adolph Green, Frederica Von Stade, Thos Hampson, Samuel Ramey, Cleo Laine, Evelyn Lear, Marie McLaughlin and Tyne Daly as 'Hilde'.
        I was there too Stanley, unforgettable.

Thought you might like to see a couple of the photos I took of him, around the time of those performances, when I happened upon a signing session in Tower Records with camera plus telephoto in my bag...

"...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Many thanks, Cali - what a treat! I'm sure you recall the 'flu virus which hit London at the time, helpful for me as I got a 'return' when the performance sold- out on the day booking opened. Lenny was also stricken but Dr Theatre came to his aid. I've never forgotten the closing moment when he cued Adolph Green/Dr Pangloss who responded, "Any questions?" A spine-tingling interjection.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Many thanks, Cali - what a treat! I'm sure you recall the 'flu virus which hit London at the time, helpful for me as I got a 'return' when the performance sold- out on the day booking opened. Lenny was also stricken
            Pleasure. And yes - you can see in the photos that Lenny's shirt shows signs of a feverish sweat...

I'd completely forgotten that Cleo Laine was involved - was she really?

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

SS, that Candide concert,I saw this on tv, as well. Quite a performance.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• makropulos
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Pleasure. And yes - you can see in the photos that Lenny's shirt shows signs of a feverish sweat...

I'd completely forgotten that Cleo Laine was involved - was she really?
                Cleo Laine was involved in the "On the Town" (she sang "Ain't got no tears left") after LB's death (along with Tyne Daly, Frederica von Stade, Thomas Hampson et al). The cast for "Candide" was:
                Jerry Hadley - Candide
                June Anderson - Cunegonde
                Adolph Green - Dr. Pangloss
                Christa Ludwig - Old Lady
                Nicolai Gedda - Governor / Vanderdendur / Ragotski
                Della Jones - Paquette
                Kurt Ollman - Maximilian
                and, in various roles, Clive Bayley, Neil Jenkins, Lindsay Benson, Richard Suart , John Treleaven

And thanks for those terrific photos!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                  Cleo Laine was involved in the "On the Town" (she sang "Ain't got no tears left") after LB's death (along with Tyne Daly, Frederica von Stade, Thomas Hampson et al). The cast for "Candide" was:

And thanks for those terrific photos!
                  Thanks for clarifying. And you are welcome!

I seem to recall June Anderson was also flu-ey, but sang nonetheless (Lenny gave us a little medical bulletin from the podium before the concert started, iirc)

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Listened to a CD recording of Bernstein/ Arias & Barcarolles earlier today, DG rec.
                    Always laugh as the liner notes remind us that the title originated from a 1960 performance at the White House. "After playing Mozart & Gershwin, Bernstein experienced a somehat awkward moment. President Eisenhower greeted him and said, ' You know, I like that last piece you played; it's got a theme. I like music with a theme, not all those arias and barcarolles."

Time to return to the DVD set.

Comment

Working...
                    X