X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Stretching the envelope

A recent charity-shop purchase of a CD of Ellen Taaffe Zwilich's music provided the mild unlooked-for pleasure of extending the range of my shelves' alphabetical run of composers, which previously went from Adams to Zemlinsky.

For a little while I even thought I'd reached ultima Thule in the Z direction (unless Teresa Zylis-Gara has ever taken up the compositional pen seriously). But meticulous research reveals that a composer called Zywny exists (don't know if there's an all-Zywny CD yet though).

In the A direction I certainly need some Abel and will have to watch out for discs of Aagesen, according to the 1980 Grove.

Does anyone know of further outliers? I fear that somewhere there just must be a (Scandinavian?) composer called Aa.

Roehre: one for you???
    Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 12-06-11, 18:48.
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Cancel Aagesen - there are two song composers called Aagaard! But to win the coconut they must have a full CD in their name.

Amazon shows a Wojciech Zywny having just a track or two on an unavailable CD. So no coconut for him yet

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
      • Mar 2007

I don't go as far as Zwilich, but have recently stretched the reaches of my operatic alphabet, taking delivery of Die Geisterinsel by Johann Rudolph Zumsteeg.
      Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Best I can do in my collection is Carl Michael Ziehrer who just manages to beat off the challenge from Zemlinsky.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Best I can do in my collection is Carl Michael Ziehrer who just manages to beat off the challenge from Zemlinsky.
          Wot - no Zimmermann, (Bernt Aloys, that is)??

S-A

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

IGI: Zumsteeg is very good - beats Zemlinsky - but I'm amazed by the number of composers even deeper into the Zs. Don't know how many of these can muster a CD but how are we on Zwart, Zweers, Zwetkow, Zwyssig, Zygmuntowski, or Zytowich?

Has anyone got a contender for the very first composer on the CD shelves? Komei Abe, Japanese composer b.1911, is the the earliest I've so found found listed on Amazon. Karl Abel is relegated to second

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              Roehre: one for you???
              Aa, Michiel van der
              Zykan, Otto

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                Oooh Roehre: there's a tricky one! I'd spotted van der Aa, but does he go under A or V??? Grateful for Zykan - he's new to me.

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

Just can't compete. Disregarding odds and ends, my orchestral "library" stops at Zemlinsky, opera at Zeller, chamber at Wolf and instumental at a paltry Widor. Must try harder.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                    Oooh Roehre: there's a tricky one! I'd spotted van der Aa, but does he go under A or V??? Grateful for Zykan - he's new to me.
                    under Aa, as Beethoven is Van Beethoven, and he does go under B, doesn't he?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                      • Nov 2010

I've got quite a bit of Zwilich's music, also the Zweers symphonies. At the other end my collection of recorded music starts with Evald Aav, only one piece though! The only letter I don't have any music under is X, I don't have any Xenakis!. Last year the library at the University where I work, transferred all its Tchaikovsky books to C, their argument was that is how Harvard classifies them!!! To find Tchaikovsky one now has to look before Chopin! I told them they were being silly and perhaps in that case they should also move Chopin to S and Janacek to Y for example.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                        Last year the library at the University where I work, transferred all its Tchaikovsky books to C, their argument was that is how Harvard classifies them!!! To find Tchaikovsky one now has to look before Chopin! I told them they were being silly and perhaps in that case they should also move Chopin to S and Janacek to Y for example.
                        SFC, this seems to be an international convention now, as not only Harvard classified Tchaikovsky under C, the German Musik in Gesellschaft und Geschichte (2nd edition [9+17+2 vols - 1996-2008], the German Grove's if you like, though not an Encyclopaedia but a Handbook by design) does so too .
                        The jusitification is, that in Russian this composer's name begins with a C (with a top-down accent circonflexe on top of it, btw, but I cannot produce such a thing on this computer I'm afraid), and that all composers' names should be ordered according to the spelling of their names in their mother tongue.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                          • Nov 2010

I expect they'll then have a variety of spellings according to local dialect! When I learnt some Russian a few years ago the letter Chai (which looks like an X) actually is pronounced almost with a TCH the 'T' is very clipped, but again seems to vary according to regional pronounciation.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                            I expect they'll then have a variety of spellings according to local dialect! When I learnt some Russian a few years ago the letter Chai (which looks like an X) actually is pronounced almost with a TCH the 'T' is very clipped, but again seems to vary according to regional pronounciation.
                            But standard spelling is AFAIK independent from the dialects spoken, or am I wrong?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                              • Nov 2010

But we could get into further muddier waters in that Tchaikovsky is a Polish family name, so I wonder how its pronounced in Polish and of course pronounciation changes over a period of time. So changing long-standard spelling can cause lots of problems, perhaps those who decided on this change shoould actually leave things as they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X