X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Does anyone actually by it for the printed matter that accompanies the CD? I certainly don't.
    Perhaps not. It's habit, and it isn't breaking my bank.

The quality of the CDs seems variable. Currently listening to Bach MM 19 No 8 - seems a good recording. This months CD is of the Prom performance of VW9 I went to in 2008 - which I thought was a good performance. The CD seems to have a moderate level of background noise - maybe needs stuffing through Audacity to remove some low frequency noise. Don't think it's my ears ....

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      The CD seems to have a moderate level of background noise - maybe needs stuffing through Audacity to remove some low frequency noise. Don't think it's my ears ....
      Do you mean that there is a background noise as distinct from the accompanying noises made by writhing prommers, assorted electrical machinery and passing traffic? The latter I would accept and indeed welcome as contributing to supplying liveness to the experience of putting an otherwise sterile CD in the player.
      I have been thinking recently about what is wrong in the experience of listening to a studio-recorded CD and may start a thread on the matter soon.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I have bought the odd issue over the years due to the cover CD( e.g Janet Baker at Aldeburgh, Menuhin's 1943 Brahms Concerto ) but generally would buy it to read on a train journey . The last time I did it had gone significantly downmarket i thought and the number of reviews were reduced.

Of BBC MM CDs I have a pile of them in the attic from the last ten years or so - many unopened - any particular recommendations ?

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Having finally got round to listening to this month's cd, I quite enjoy it and some of the articles in the mag are quite interesting to. There is also a short essay on the history of composers writing memorial scores for their dead colleagues.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Does anyone actually by it for the printed matter that accompanies the CD? I certainly don't.
            Nor do I. This months RVW and Parry CD is wonderful.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

For a finely conceived musical analysis I recommend the article on page 20 of this week's Private Eye. It is of course by that well known critic Dame Sylvie Krin, is entitled I Was Glad, and puts the Prince's deep insights into the work of Parry in a refreshing new light.

Comment

• FoxyTheCat

Listened to it twice now and it's superb both the VW 9 and the Parry. A very attractive CD with an appropriate picture on the liner.

Even if you don't read the magazine ( which I have - interesting piece on Bruckner) at £4.60 this is a bargain for the CD alone.

I found you need to have the volume up on the VW9 to appreciate all the detail. There is applause , thunderous but it seems to be an age to start after those final harp glissandi.

FtC

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I really love and appreciate most of RVW's output but the 9th symphony just doesn't go with partial deafness and tinnitus. Pity I didn't hear it when I was younger. It just seems so noisy. Sorry.

Comment

• FoxyTheCat

Sally,

I am sorry that your hearing and tinnitus restrict your appreciation of RVW9.

Remember ( and I know you knew him) he had the same symptoms for years ( WW1 bombs and guns ) and was beset with them long before composing this symphony.
                    Yes it does have moments of sudden loudness and agitatation , but there are long passages of quintessential VW , it is ultimately an exploration and takes us not to a dark place
                    but a very uncertain though ultimately life affirming one.

If you listen to recorded music though small earphones you may find that it masks your tinnitus.

I agree that VW 9 is best first listened to in youth , I first heard it aged 20 when at university ( Boult/EMI recording) and was moved from the start , 40 years on it still fascinates and hold my attention.

Greatest symphony of the 20th Century? well it's in my top 10!.

Other than Andrew Davis, it seems to have missed the attention of contemporary British conductors, Andre Previn recorded the darkest and longest version , Haitink the most majestic and Stokowski the most exciting ( the 3 saxes sound as if they were session men from a jazz band). We can forget Rattle in this repertoire but I hear Jurowoski is going to tackle it in the near future.

Regards

FtC

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks Foxy, that's very kind of you. I will try again after a few days, I really want to 'get' itand the headphones are a good idea.

To be honest I didn't really 'know' RVW, he just came to us for his special mss paper and was very friendly and unassuming, taking his place in a queue of customers etc until we rescued him. regards,sally

Comment

• Lion-of-Vienna
                        • Nov 2010

I have just got round to actually reading this month's magazine. As it is the proms issue I was hoping to find something of interest about Havergal Brian - but I was disappointed. Yes there is a long article about massive symphonies but Brian's Gothic only gets a mention in the first and last paragraphs where it seems to say only one thing - it's BIG! I think we all know that already. There is nothing about Brian himself, his fascinating life story or the fact that he wrote a lot of interesting music that isn't BIG! What hope is there for Brian and other worthy composers if that is the depth of journalism that we are treated to by "the world's best-selling music magazine"?

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

Yes, absolutely spot on, Lion.

The whole world of Havergal Brian is a fascinating one and none of its flavour is conveyed in the article
                          you mention,
                          I have stopped buying the mag regularly but was pleased to secure the current issue in town today
                          and thank everyone for the heads up on VW9.

I still think it's ridiculous that the Proms issue comes out at the end of May, not that Gramphone do things
                          any differently.

Comment

Working...
                          X