• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nevilevelis
    • Jun 2024

Le Roi David: Enregistrement de la semaine

HONEGGER: Le Roi David
    Christophe Balissat (le recitant), Athena Poullos (la pythonisse), Lucie Chartin (soprano), Marianne Beate Kielland (mezzo-soprano), Thomas Walker (tenor), Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Ensemble Vocal de Lausanne, Daniel Reuss (conductor)

I am really enjoying this! Exquisite singing and diction from Ensemble Vocal de Lausanne, and Thomas Walker's French is very fine as well.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nevilevelis View Post
    HONEGGER: Le Roi David
    Christophe Balissat (le recitant), Athena Poullos (la pythonisse), Lucie Chartin (soprano), Marianne Beate Kielland (mezzo-soprano), Thomas Walker (tenor), Orchestre de la Suisse Romande, Ensemble Vocal de Lausanne, Daniel Reuss (conductor)

I am really enjoying this! Exquisite singing and diction from Ensemble Vocal de Lausanne, and Thomas Walker's French is very fine as well.
    I will have to listen later, but for me it will have to be pretty damned good to replace my affections for the Baudo recording (that on Accord which used the original score, not the later Supraphon which used the full orchestra revision).
    Last edited by Bryn; 01-04-17, 13:43. Reason: Clarification of the Baudo reference.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Having now listened to Part 3, I will stick with the 1962 Baudo which I first had as a Concert Hall double album.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

This is a piece I struggle to get on with, partly perhaps because of my aversion to pieces with a narrator, but I do have two recordings.
        The Vanguard Classics one (Utah/Abravanel)

claims to be definitive, and it has Madeleine Milhaud as the witch of Endor, but it is of the full orchestral version.
        The Erato one (Dutoit)

is the reduced (original) instrumentation.
        Do you know either version, Bryn, and if so, do you have any comments with respect to your preferred Baudo version?

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          This is a piece I struggle to get on with, partly perhaps because of my aversion to pieces with a narrator, but I do have two recordings.
          The Vanguard Classics one (Utah/Abravanel)

claims to be definitive, and it has Madeleine Milhaud as the witch of Endor, but it is of the full orchestral version.
          The Erato one (Dutoit)

is the reduced (original) instrumentation.
          Do you know either version, Bryn, and if so, do you have any comments with respect to your preferred Baudo version?
          I do have both those recordings but have not listened to them for some time. As I recall, the Abravanel gave a good impression of the full orchestra version (I basically got it for the inclusion of Madeleine Milhaud). The Dutoit I remember as being a bit too refined for my taste. That 1962 Baudo has a real raw French quality to the brass, for instance. There again, that Baudo was my introduction to the work, and that may colour my preference for it.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I do have both those recordings but have not listened to them for some time. As I recall, the Abravanel gave a good impression of the full orchestra version (I basically got it for the inclusion of Madeleine Milhaud). The Dutoit I remember as being a bit too refined for my taste. That 1962 Baudo has a real raw French quality to the brass, for instance. There again, that Baudo was my introduction to the work, and that may colour my preference for it.
            Thanks for your comments, Bryn.

Comment

Working...
            X