X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Best Shostakovich Fifth Symphony ?

I've had a renewed surge interest of interest in this great work.

Favourite performances, points of interpretation and all the normal things warmly welcomed.
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

You won't be disappointed if you go for Haitink (Decca), Barshai (Brilliant Classics) or Rozhdestvensky (Olympic) if you can track one down.

Comment

• Tapiola
      • Jan 2011

My favourite is the live performance by Leningrad PO and Mravinsky, contained in the Brilliant Classics Mravinsky box. I have never heard that dfifficult first movement make such perfect dramatic sense as in this recording.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

The first recording I bought of this piece was that by Maxim Shostakovich and the USSR State Symphony back in April 1975. I had never even heard the work at all before then and it completely blew me away to the extent that I played it again immediately to be blown away a second time. I must have worn that LP out and finally got the CD in a Melodiya issue about 10 years ago. A recording by a Russian orchestra conducted by one who knew the composer (Kondrashin, Mravinsky, Rozhdestvensky or Maxim Shostakovich) is an essential purchase irrespective of whether it is the 'best'. Whether the Maxim is still available I'm not sure, likewise a 1938 recording from Mravinsky which surfaced at one time and which I'd love to hear.

With the publication of Solomon Volkov's book, Testimony in 1980 there was a complete reappraisal of the 5th and the first Western recording to take this on board was that from Haitink with the Concertgebouw. In a BaL this would still be my top recording, a performance of blistering power in first rate early digital sound.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Mahlerei

Ashkenazy/RPO on Decca. Electric. For a well-upholstered but still compelling version Lenny's live Tokyo performance is worth hearing. And for a refreshing take on this score, why not try Wigglesworth?

Comment

• Mandryka

Haitink for me, though I've recently been impressed by the Jansons/VPO version.

Are Russian orchestras/conductors considered to have a unique relationship to this work?

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
              Haitink for me, though I've recently been impressed by the Jansons/VPO version.

Are Russian orchestras/conductors considered to have a unique relationship to this work?
              I think that the very fact that most of the Russian conductors I name above (plus Svetlanov whom I unaccountably omitted) knew and worked with the composer coupled with the knowledge that both they and their orchestral personnel inhabited the same world as the composer guarantees an unmatched degree of authenticity in this music.

Has anyone got the 1938 Leningrad PO/Mravinsky version which surfaced on the Do-Re-Mi label? If so, any comments re sound etc?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

What was that version on an early Music for Pleasure LP? I had it once and it was very good, particularly the slow movement.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

I'm pretty sure that the MfP version to which Alpensinfonie refers is that by Karel Ancerl and the Czech Philharmonic. That, in its original Supraphon incarnation was my introduction to the work (great value at 17/6d for a stereo LP, dearer than the later MfP but a better pressing). It remains a very fine performance, a combination of the best of both performance 'traditions' - like Haitink meets Mravinsky. Ancerl recorded a wonderful Shostakovich 10th as well, albeit in (very good) mono. His 5th, though, is still well worth hearing.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    I'm pretty sure that the MfP version to which Alpensinfonie refers is that by Karel Ancerl and the Czech Philharmonic.
                    Yes, I think that was the one.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      I'm pretty sure that the MfP version to which Alpensinfonie refers is that by Karel Ancerl and the Czech Philharmonic. That, in its original Supraphon incarnation was my introduction to the work (great value at 17/6d for a stereo LP, dearer than the later MfP but a better pressing). It remains a very fine performance, a combination of the best of both performance 'traditions' - like Haitink meets Mravinsky. Ancerl recorded a wonderful Shostakovich 10th as well, albeit in (very good) mono. His 5th, though, is still well worth hearing.
                      I'd certainly agree about the virtues of the Ancerl recording which I have on a Supraphon CD coupled with the Cello Concerto No 1. If I remember correctly that CD cost me a fiver but is now going on Amazon for a very silly £25.80 used and up to £29.82 new.

For the latest CD incarnation this is the one to make for: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karel-Ancerl...6768556&sr=1-1

Comment

• Martin Reynolds

I have a good one by Andre Previn and the London Symphony Orchestra on LP. No-one has mentioned Vasily Petrenko's version with the Royal Liverpool Philhamonic Orchestra for Naxos. Seems to be a current favourite with the critics. It has been stated that No.5 is Shostakovich's most popular symphony. The most popular for me is No.10 by a long chalk.

Comment

• StephenO

Originally posted by Martin Reynolds View Post
                          No-one has mentioned Vasily Petrenko's version with the Royal Liverpool Philhamonic Orchestra for Naxos. Seems to be a current favourite with the critics.
                          It certainly made a big impression on me when I first heard it. Thrillingly reminiscent in many ways of Mravinsky and the good/bad old days of Soviet performances. If I were to choose one verison it would be Haitink although Rostropovich is equally fine on LSO Live.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

The Ancerl also gets my vote. I first got it on a Supraphon LP, and spun it over and over. Today I have the disc from the Ancerl Gold collection. The coupling (the 1st Symphony) is also excellent, though in that work I have a soft spot for Ormandy, whose recording, coupled with the 1st Cello Concerto (Rostropovich) was my introduction to that symphony. I see that Sony have recently issued a CD version of that very coupling as a marketing ploy.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              The Ancerl also gets my vote. I first got it on a Supraphon LP, and spun it over and over. Today I have the disc from the Ancerl Gold collection. The coupling (the 1st Symphony) is also excellent, though in that work I have a soft spot for Ormandy, whose recording, coupled with the 1st Cello Concerto (Rostropovich) was my introduction to that symphony. I see that Sony have recently issued a CD version of that very coupling as a marketing ploy.
                              That Ormandy LP was my introduction to both works (Symphony 1 and CelloConcert 1) too.

For 5 I'd go for either Haitink or Ancerl, and if you've got the means: both of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X