HVK much the best conductor of Beethoven 8 ever (on record) - discuss ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

With respect to Toscanini's outbursts, bullying or not, see Joseph Horowitz's psychoanalytical approach... in particular the indented quote from Martin H. Blum down the page...

As America's symbol of Great Music, Arturo Toscanini and the "masterpieces" he served were regarded with religious awe. As a celebrity personality, he was heralded for everything from his unwavering stance against Hitler and Mussolini and his cataclysmic tantrums, to his "democratic" penchants for television wrestling and soup for dinner. During his years with the Metropolitan Opera (1908-15) and the New York Philharmonic (1926-36) he was regularly proclaimed the "world's greatest conductor ." And with the NBC Symphony (1937-54), created for him by RCA's David Sarnoff, he became the beneficiary of a voracious multimedia promotional apparatus that spread Toscanini madness nationwide. According to Life, he was as well-known as Joe Dimaggio; Time twice put him on its cover; and the New York Herald Tribune attributed Toscanini's fame to simple recognition of his unique "greatness." In this boldly conceived and superbly realized study, Joseph Horowitz reveals how and why Toscanini became the object of unparalleled veneration in the United States. Combining biography, cultural history, and music criticism, Horowitz explores the cultural and commercial mechanisms that created America's Toscanini cult and fostered, in turn, a Eurocentric, anachronistic new audience for old music.

​Love of the Oppressor is a classic psychological reaction which can take various forms - think of how his trainee musicians feel about Terence Fletcher in the film Whiplash or more archetypally, how Winston comes to "love" Big Brother in Orwell's 1984. And of course human behaviour under totalitarian regimes generally...
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 08-01-17, 17:13.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      With respect to Toscanini's outbursts, bullying or not, see Joseph Horowitz's psychoanalytical approach... in particular the indented quote from Martin H. Blum down the page...

As America's symbol of Great Music, Arturo Toscanini and the "masterpieces" he served were regarded with religious awe. As a celebrity personality, he was heralded for everything from his unwavering stance against Hitler and Mussolini and his cataclysmic tantrums, to his "democratic" penchants for television wrestling and soup for dinner. During his years with the Metropolitan Opera (1908-15) and the New York Philharmonic (1926-36) he was regularly proclaimed the "world's greatest conductor ." And with the NBC Symphony (1937-54), created for him by RCA's David Sarnoff, he became the beneficiary of a voracious multimedia promotional apparatus that spread Toscanini madness nationwide. According to Life, he was as well-known as Joe Dimaggio; Time twice put him on its cover; and the New York Herald Tribune attributed Toscanini's fame to simple recognition of his unique "greatness." In this boldly conceived and superbly realized study, Joseph Horowitz reveals how and why Toscanini became the object of unparalleled veneration in the United States. Combining biography, cultural history, and music criticism, Horowitz explores the cultural and commercial mechanisms that created America's Toscanini cult and fostered, in turn, a Eurocentric, anachronistic new audience for old music.

​Love of the Oppressor is a classic psychological reaction which can take various forms - think of how his trainee musicians feel about Terence Fletcher in the film Whiplash or more archetypally, how Winston comes to "love" Big Brother in Orwell's 1984. And of course human behaviour under totalitarian regimes generally...
      Speculative psychobiographical sketch – summarised …. As it says in that text. It was written 26 years after Toscanini’s death – based on what?

Consultation notes? Was Blum someone whom Toscanini consulted? It seems unlikely. Perhaps other family members consulted Blum. If so, Blum probably broke some trust, as surely any comments would be confidential, and subject to strict rules of conduct.

This is still only one account – though there may be others which might tend to confirm Blum’s version.

I'm not saying that bullying behaviour wasn't one of Toscanini's characteristics - but until now I had not read anything at all "definitive" and even now I'd question it.

What is interesting is that Blum gives more detail, which if true might indicate some other problems - autism, Asperger's, ASC perhaps .... Mute and isolated in early years - some autistic people are like that. If so, one might suspect that Toscanini was at the high functioning end of the spectrum - otherwise he wouldn't have achieved so much. Perhaps, as suggested by Blum, the people he dealt with realised that he had a problem, but put up with it because of his perhaps obvious talents. That's not implausible.

PS: Is Whiplash worth seeing? I've had divergent reports - one like, one dislike.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        I'm struggling to recall any BaL's on Beethoven 8.
        If there has been one not for a while - No BAL recommendation on Presto .

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Speculative psychobiographical sketch – summarised …. As it says in that text. It was written 26 years after Toscanini’s death – based on what?

Consultation notes? Was Blum someone whom Toscanini consulted? It seems unlikely. Perhaps other family members consulted Blum. If so, Blum probably broke some trust, as surely any comments would be confidential, and subject to strict rules of conduct.

This is still only one account – though there may be others which might tend to confirm Blum’s version.

I'm not saying that bullying behaviour wasn't one of Toscanini's characteristics - but until now I had not read anything at all "definitive" and even now I'd question it.

What is interesting is that Blum gives more detail, which if true might indicate some other problems - autism, Asperger's, ASC perhaps .... Mute and isolated in early years - some autistic people are like that. If so, one might suspect that Toscanini was at the high functioning end of the spectrum - otherwise he wouldn't have achieved so much. Perhaps, as suggested by Blum, the people he dealt with realised that he had a problem, but put up with it because of his perhaps obvious talents. That's not implausible.

PS: Is Whiplash worth seeing? I've had divergent reports - one like, one dislike.
          Dave - I dislike the simplistic labelling use of "bully" or "bullying" as much as you. Psychoanalysis is closer to art than science so necessarily speculative. But it can offer "redescription" - an attempt to analyse why someone became as they are, behave as they do, and inspire or provoke certain behaviours in those they interact with. Which in certain unusual creative cases can offer a path to the truth, even perhaps to salvation, in a very human rather than a religious sense.

I linked to the Horowitz/Blum texts because they seemed to me to offer just such a redescription.

Whiplash ​is a wonderful film. One that resonates with you long after the experience. Try not to look at youtube spoilers before you see it - and its shattering finale!

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

The re-mastering of Abbado's Berlin account another favourite
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

jlw

Thanks for the Whiplash recommendation. I'll add it to my "to watch" list.

I'll reserve judgement on Toscanini's behaviour for a while longer. Some of Blum's comments do seem plausible - perhaps not so much is known about Toscanini.

I found this as a result of another discussion towards the end of last year - http://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/...avo-j%C3%A4rvi

I may have one of Paavo Järvi's recordings somewhere - though might have got lost (wretched download ....) - I really like many of his performances.

Currently listening to Toscanini - which I suggested earlier. It's not as fast as I thought it might be, but it is pretty hard and the recording is atrocious by some more modern standards. How did they achieve the close to 0db differential between outbursts and piano/pianissimo? OK - someone will measure it and tell me it's really 15dB (I don't know) - but there's pretty minimal dynamics - though somehow one can tell the difference between loud and soft - must be other clues.

I suspect it really was a lot, lot better in the hall - or studio if this was a studio recording. Here is one of his versions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D33BeVg3RPQ
              Last edited by Dave2002; 09-01-17, 19:09.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I don't know that one BBM there are good reviews about of Abbado's 1960s accounts and the Rome cycle .

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                  No such thing as "best" in musical performance.

"Preferred" is a more appropriate word to express one' opinion.

HS
                  yes, Yes, YES!!!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    I don't know that one BBM there are good reviews about of Abbado's 1960s accounts and the Rome cycle .

Apologies Barbs, 2008, with the Berliners.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• silvestrione
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                      No such thing as "best" in musical performance.

"Preferred" is a more appropriate word to express one' opinion.

HS
                      no, no, NO!

It's going too far to say there are only individual opinions, and anything goes...

I think most of us aspire to agree about what are the best performances, knowing we will always want to qualify others' (hopefully carefully argued and supported) judgements, and also knowing we will never finally reach agreement! On the best, that is...we may well all just about agree on bad or incompetent performances.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                        I think most of us aspire to agree about what are the best performances, knowing we will always want to qualify others' (hopefully carefully argued and supported) judgements, and also knowing we will never finally reach agreement! On the best, that is...we may well all just about agree on bad or incompetent performances.
                        "Best performances" of a single work, perhaps - but the works themselves if they're any good (and Beethoven #8 is one of the best) cannot be fully represented by any one single performance; they need several to give a listener an overview (?"oversound"? - certainly not "overhear"!) of "the work". I agree with Hornspieler - we can have our favourite recording(s) of a work; but it underestimates the work to say that there can be a "best".
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          "Best performances" of a single work, perhaps - but the works themselves if they're any good (and Beethoven #8 is one of the best) cannot be fully represented by any one single performance; they need several to give a listener an overview (?"oversound"? - certainly not "overhear"!) of "the work". I agree with Hornspieler - we can have our favourite recording(s) of a work; but it underestimates the work to say that there can be a "best".
                          But a " best " doesn't have to be perfect.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            But a " best " doesn't have to be perfect.
                            No, indeed - but that opens a whole can of worms (not necessarily a bad thing, unless you wanted beans on toast) : how can anyone say that this is the "best" unless they can demonstrate that it comes most closely to "perfection"? All that is left is for listeners to decide which recording(s)/performance(s)'s - with their various imperfections - they prefer to all the others. There can't be a "best", only a "favourite".
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Parry1912
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I thought it was an unrealistic, over-heated, over-rated melodrama.
                              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                              X