X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Nutcracker Fest

Playing the Dorati/Amsterdam complete ballet for the 3rd time in the last day, at the wife's request. I haven't tired of it yet. Such a marvelously inventive score, here stunningly played by a superb orchestra, with tempos that can actually be danced to. There is so much great music that is left out of the Suites.
    Was Tchaikovsky the finest Waltz Composer? He certainly gave the Strausses a run for their money.
    Favorite recordings of the complete ballet?
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

I'm very fond of the Gergiev version with the Kirov Orchestra on a single Philips cd. I realise this disc had its detractors and I have other recordings including the Previn/LSO version, however, it was the Gergiev cd that really opened my lugs to what a wonderful piece this is.

I bought Mrs. PG the Sir Simon Rattle/Berliner Philharmoniker disc and that is superb with unbelievable playing from the band! I've been really busy this Christmas including working all of the season but we intend to listen to 'The Nutcracker' once I finish up on Boxing Day.
    Last edited by pastoralguy; 25-12-16, 17:47.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Was Tchaikovsky the greatest waltz composer? Possibly. It would be interesting to collect them all together - from the ballets, operas, symphonies & serenade.

Karajan was the one who gave the Russian composer's waltzes a Viennese lilt in his Vienna Philharmonic recording of the ballet suites.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        I bought Mrs. PG the Sir Simon Rattle/Berliner Philharmoniker disc and that is superb with unbelievable playing from the band!
        I was pleasantly surprised when Rattle recorded this. For many years, he'd done a Boulez and derided Tchaikovsky. All credit to him for his change of heart.

Comment

• verismissimo
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          Playing the Dorati/Amsterdam complete ballet ...
          We too, rfg, with the greatest pleasure.

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I was pleasantly surprised when Rattle recorded this. For many years, he'd done a Boulez and derided Tchaikovsky. All credit to him for his change of heart.
            Well, the story I heard was that someone said to Sir Simon, 'Look, you're a great Stravinsky interprete. You need to learn where Stravinsky pinched his ideas from!' Actually, does anyone remember one of those Radio3 'immersion' experiences where Tchaikovsky's and Stravinsky's music music was played? Well, it was amazing how often the two composers got mixed up in my ears!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Well, the story I heard was that someone said to Sir Simon, 'Look, you're a great Stravinsky interprete. You need to learn where Stravinsky pinched his ideas from!' Actually, does anyone remember one of those Radio3 'immersion' experiences where Tchaikovsky's and Stravinsky's music music was played? Well, it was amazing how often the two composers got mixed up in my ears!
              That was a much more imaginative immersion project than most subsequent ones.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

I saved the whole lot from DAB in native mp2 format at the time. Most was in acceptable 192kbps stereo, but I seem to recall that some dropped to the dreaded 160kbps 'intensity stereo'. It was indeed a worthwhile project. Would that Boulez had had the nous to explore the essential relationship.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I hope to be playing Tchaikovsky's Three Great ballets today!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I commented on one excerpt from a Tchaikovsky ballet recently, which turned out to have been conducted by Kurt Masur with the NYPO. It was superb. Did he ever perform or record more than just snippets?

Maybe this is all he ever did for recordings - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Waltzes/T...ur+tchaikovsky

However, just noticed he did most of the symphonies and other works, with various orchestras.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Was Tchaikovsky the greatest waltz composer? Possibly. It would be interesting to collect them all together - from the ballets, operas, symphonies & serenade.

Karajan was the one who gave the Russian composer's waltzes a Viennese lilt in his Vienna Philharmonic recording of the ballet suites.
                      I've always loved the VPO/Karajan suites on Decca. We all have favourite single moments on record and one of those for me is the marvellous stroke on the tam tam in Sleeping Beauty.

I have Previn, Ansermet, Dorati and Mackerras in complete versions of Nutcracker, all good but it's the Previn I usually return to. What magic Tchaikovsky can weave with a simple downward scale in the pas de deux.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        What magic Tchaikovsky can weave with a simple downward scale in the pas de deux.

The downward scale pervades Tchaikovsky's melodic writing. Tatiana's Letter Scene, Finale of 6th Symphony, opening of Swan Lake, 3rd movement of 5th Symphony - for starters.

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          . . . Maybe this is all he ever did for recordings -
                          Sensible man, I'd say! I'll probably be shot down in flames, but watching the whole ballet on DVD the other day I thought, surely this must be the worst of Tchaikovsky's ballet music. Admittedly, there are some magnificent moments, but as a whole I was glad when the curtain came down.

Runs for cover
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Interesting programme (in the post-prandial slump spot) yesterday about the Royal Ballet's Nutcracker, and Francesca Hayward's preparation for her first Sugar Plum Fairy, a bit of a rite of passage for top ballerinas apparently.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

I'm very fond of the Gergiev version with the Kirov Orchestra on a single Philips cd.
                              That's my 'go to' Nutcracker as well. I've also got BPO/Rattle and LPO/Jansons on my shelves for the complete ballet and many others of the Suite. To be honest, I find Act 1 is nowhere near as inspired as Act 2 which is a joy from start to finish and I'm more likely play that on its own. I attended a 1981 Prom in which Gennady Rozhdestvensky (now on an ICA DVD) in a complete Act 2 and it was unforgettable.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X