• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvestrione
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
    Yes - Excellent. and which HvK? He made two -both DG: 1967 and 1981

Solti's recording is one I hanker after; waiting for a 'bargain bucket' price one to pop up!
    Yes I'd be extrememly grateful for some help with identifying the 1960s (67?) Karajan version praised above, so I can get it in the post too!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      You are probably right but 1964 doesn't quite count as modern !
      It still sounds brilliant in every way.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
        Yes I'd be extrememly grateful for some help with identifying the 1960s (67?) Karajan version praised above, so I can get it in the post too!
        On the old DG galleria label second hand copies very cheap on Amazon

Comment

• silvestrione
          • Jan 2011

On the old DG galleria label second hand copies very cheap on Amazon
          Thanks! Ordered one for under £3, postage included...

Comment

• kea
            • Dec 2013

I can't think of any recording, modern or historical, that equals Kirill Kondrashin's 1959 version (paired with an even better 3rd Suite). Obviously not what you were looking for, but a plug was necessary >_>

Modern recordings: Berglund & the New Stockholm Chamber Orchestra on BIS would be my pick

Comment

• Mal
              • Dec 2016

I have the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra (1987), which I like a lot. Well worth considering, especially if you fancy the Grieg couplings.

Comment

• silvestrione
                • Jan 2011

Enjoyed the HVK but slightly scrubby remastering .

Fun to hear the choral 1812 after many moons.
                My Hvk also arrived. Terrific! I had forgotten the string writing was so virtuosic in the first movement.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

My Hvk also arrived. Terrific! I had forgotten the string writing was so virtuosic in the first movement.
                  I agree about the performance suspect they could do a better job with the remastering nowadays .

Comment

• AmpH
                    • Feb 2012

Something of a disc of pot boilers, but I have a soft spot for the chamber - like clarity of the Serenade as played by the Moscow Soloists and Yuri Bashmet on Onyx. I could happily live with this recording alone , but really would not want to be without Kondrashin above all others which would still be my first choice.

Favourite Works for Strings. Onyx: ONYX4037. Buy download online. Moscow Soloists, Yuri Bashmet (director)

This 2008 release seems to be available as a download only now, but I see CD copies can still be found on the net ( including the river people ).

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Issued in 1967, it was recorded the previous year. The version in the big 1960s Karajan box is shown as using "Original bit image", so not the most up to date remastering technology. The '1981' recording I have is in the bargain "CONDUCTS" series, and is not remastered. I prefer the 1960 recording, but neither gets near the old Boston/Munch for me.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Issued in 1967, it was recorded the previous year. The version in the big 1960s Karajan box is shown as using "Original bit image", so not the most up to date remastering technology. The '1981' recording I have is in the bargain "CONDUCTS" series, and is not remastered. I prefer the 1960 recording, but neither gets near the old Boston/Munch for me.

I have the most recent remastering transfer in the 'Karajan 60's' box set where the sound is less 'glassy' than on the Galleria reissue. Fantastic performance and one of my all time favourite CDs.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Found the Leppard in a local Oxfam shop very good and the coupling was Dvorak's string serenade. Excellent performance of the latter. I assume deleted or such a fine performance I should have expected to have featured in the recent BAL.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

I like ASMF/Marriner's recording. Has the Dvorak and Grieg Holberg Suite on it as well.
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                            X