Rooley complete Dowland box: help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Rooley complete Dowland box: help please!

My treasured Oiseau-Lyre Dowland set

has lost its booklet (via suicidal dive into ill-positioned waste basket I fear) and the set's cardboard sleeves give no track listings. Can some blessed soul please send me something (via PM?) to help me find my way round the discs?

(Have searched online but have found nothing very helpful)
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Does the MP3 track listing on Amazon help?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

You have a PM from me about this.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
        • Apr 2007

Ferney and Richard: between you you have cracked it Many thanks!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just seen this - I gather everything's sorted

The Amazon track listings do not give the Poulton catalogue numbers, which means you can't tell which Fancye (etc.) is which....Perhaps Richard's PM covered this.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            Just seen this - I gather everything's sorted

The Amazon track listings do not give the Poulton catalogue numbers, which means you can't tell which Fancye (etc.) is which....Perhaps Richard's PM covered this.
            Richard B is very kindly sending me scans of the booklet track-listings. Will that give the P-numbers, or would I need the full notes?

PS I've now received RB's scans and they do indeed have P-numbers. Fortunately I still have all the song-texts from the LPs so I'm sorted now. Thanks to you all
            Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 26-11-16, 23:09.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Great stuff!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

LMP

Looks like you might not need it now, but the Presto site appears to have a complete track listing.
                No P numbers though.

This page lists all recordings of Collected Works by John Dowland (1563–1629).

Since the set is still available, you might even find that contacting the record company might elicit a response with a replacement copy of the booklet.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

In 2004 I was choosing a new guitar (my present one) in the London Spanish Guitar Centre (now sadly no more) - Barry the proprietor left me to it while he, his wife and son sorted stock in the back room. I was trying bits of this and that including my Dowland party pieces. As I was leaving (plus guitar) Barry said "My wife says thank you for the Dowland, by the way". Turned out she was Glenda Simpson, one of the two sopranos on the discs (along with Emma Kirkby).

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

What a lovely story (The Bristol SGC still is - I donated them my guitar, where I originally bought it, a couple of months back. Only good enough for student use. I still have the scraps of Dowland that were dished out now and again for 'homework'.)

In 2004 I was choosing a new guitar (my present one) in the London Spanish Guitar Centre (now sadly no more) - Barry the proprietor left me to it while he, his wife and son sorted stock in the back room. I was trying bits of this and that including my Dowland party pieces. As I was leaving (plus guitar) Barry said "My wife says thank you for the Dowland, by the way". Turned out she was Glenda Simpson, one of the two sopranos on the discs (along with Emma Kirkby).
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      . Can some blessed soul please send me something
                      I couldn't, LeMP, nor could I help thinking that this short thread could qualify in my book as Thread of the Year.
                      Read the responses and you will all know what I mean.
                      And f f has noticed too the coda to the piece which is the final contribution by RT.
                      May one say thank you for the expression of such seasonal thoughts and for the successful outcome of the problem.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        The Bristol SGC still is
                        Indeed - I've bought strings from them, and pointed a prospective purchaser in their direction. Sadly the LSC (in Cranbourn St, just next to Leicester Sq.) is no more - after Barry retired it changed hands and something went wrong, it closed not too long after that. A tall, narrow building up lots of stairs, it was set up by John Williams's father Len. JW still used to pop in for strings.

PS thank you Padraig - here's a nice image to finish with (courtesy of the National Gallery)

Comment

• Sir Velo
                          • Oct 2012

Interesting to listen again to Tess Knighton's BAL on Dowland in which she clearly comes down on the side of Padmore as the best single recital, finding Hill's singing although beautiful, lacking in "rhetorical engagement". She also posits the view that a less clearly polished tenor may well have been the kind of voice that Elizabethans would have expected, leading her unexpectedly to endorse Sting's recording.

Still, the more I hear of this repertoire the more fascinating it becomes. Rooley's integrale which garners plaudits on Amazon as well as here, may now have been somewhat overshadowed by later recordings.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                            Interesting to listen again to Tess Knighton's BAL on Dowland in which she clearly comes down on the side of Padmore as the best single recital, finding Hill's singing although beautiful, lacking in "rhetorical engagement". She also posits the view that a less clearly polished tenor may well have been the kind of voice that Elizabethans would have expected, leading her unexpectedly to endorse Sting's recording.

Still, the more I hear of this repertoire the more fascinating it becomes. Rooley's integrale which garners plaudits on Amazon as well as here, may now have been somewhat overshadowed by later recordings.
                            Yes I couldn't have disagreed more with Prof Knighton re Padmore - who, like Bostridge carries preciosity in this repertoire to a whole new level, IMV. Curious that she should also enjoy Sting (and double ). The one thing I hold against the excellent Liz Kenny is that she has chosen to record and/or perform Dowland with both these artistes

It's fascinating how far the lutenists who appear on the discs have moved on since those recordings were made - I'm thinking particularly of Messrs North and Lindberg. The standard of both players and instruments have improved exponentially from the early days of the English HIPP movement.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Yes I couldn't have disagreed more with Prof Knighton re Padmore - who, like Bostridge carries preciosity in this repertoire to a whole new level, IMV. Curious that she should also enjoy Sting (and double ). The one thing I hold against the excellent Liz Kenny is that she has chosen to record and/or perform Dowland with both these artistes
                              And yet...I've started to warm to Padmore's recital. Yes, he over emotes and there is a vibrato that is present on every phrase, but there is a real feel for the words and the diction is excellent; allied to which the recording captures the acoustic beautifully, Kenny's lute playing is sumptuous but never overstated.

Comment

Working...
                              X