X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
    Took me longer than intended as the Regis wasn't on my computer system. The recordings are quite different. The Regis recording is smooth but rather dull - over processed? However it is sweet and easy to listen to. Brilliant is more immediate and also more resonant, a slightly harder edge. I'm now interested to hear the UMG recording (originally Philips now Decca) which gets mixed reviews on Amazon.

I also have the LP of the first two sonatas but it's up in the attic somewhere - not sure I can locate it easily!

Mike
    That's interesting. I think I will also be able to compare the Regis and Brilliant recordings of some of the items, though will have to wait a while.

Is it sensible to keep LPs in the attic? Is it an attic or a loft? Our loft gets very hot in the summer.

Comment

• mikealdren
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Is it sensible to keep LPs in the attic? Is it an attic or a loft? Our loft gets very hot in the summer.
      No it isn't really but I don't have space anywhere else. My CDs are up there too in plastic crates. At least they are also on computer disk with backups.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

I thought someone might have mentioned Furtwängler's Beethoven 9th by now. There are several versions.

Comment

• mikealdren
          • Nov 2010

Reissues are definitely a minefield for those recordings which appear in any versions.

From my experience, early CDs were not always very good transfers (even from the major labels) but sometimes good transfers have been superseded by poorer ones.

My first love is violin music and Oistrakh in particular. It's very hard to know when it's worth buying a new transfer.

Heifetz has of course been reissued and improved many times, some of the harsh recordings have been improved immensely. The latest Heifetz box (with original sleeve designs) is generally good but some transfers do seem older and less good than the RCA SACD releases.

Mike

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
            Reissues are definitely a minefield for those recordings which appear in any versions.

From my experience, early CDs were not always very good transfers (even from the major labels) but sometimes good transfers have been superseded by poorer ones.

My first love is violin music and Oistrakh in particular. It's very hard to know when it's worth buying a new transfer.

Heifetz has of course been reissued and improved many times, some of the harsh recordings have been improved immensely. The latest Heifetz box (with original sleeve designs) is generally good but some transfers do seem older and less good than the RCA SACD releases.

Mike
            I saw that set and was very tempted but I'm still working through the 'Heifetz Edition' which sounds pretty terrific to my ears. I've got one or two of those SACD discs and they do sound terrific. I remember an old fiddle player telling that although Mr. Heifetz's recordings are good, they don't represent the 'glow' his sound had in the flesh. Alas, I'll never know.

Comment

• seabright
              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              I saw that set and was very tempted but I'm still working through the 'Heifetz Edition' which sounds pretty terrific to my ears. I've got one or two of those SACD discs and they do sound terrific. I remember an old fiddle player telling that although Mr. Heifetz's recordings are good, they don't represent the 'glow' his sound had in the flesh. Alas, I'll never know.
              I wonder how the Sibelius Violin Concerto, with Heifetz & Stokowski from 1934, sounds on 'Guild' compared to its previous incarnations ...

Jascha Heifetz and Leopold Stokowski collaborated together just once in their entire respective careers. It was for a recording of Sibelius's Violin Concerto...

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Alas, mine haven't arrived yet and Presto are saying they are out of stock and it may take 6 weeks for them to arrive!
                Oh dear. I'm still awaiting my 'Elgar Remastered' set from Presto despite receiving an email last Wednesday to say they'd been dispatched. A week later, still no sign. I 'phoned them and they told to wait until Saturday to advise if they hadn't arrived. Well, the postman rang the bell today and gave me a parcel to sign for. It wasn't until I looked at it properly I realised it was for the chap next door!

Which makes me wonder if my Elgar discs have been delivered to the wrong address!!

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

My hunch is you'll be ok, Pasty.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

They arrived today...

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

They arrived today...
                        Somehow I knew. Now you just need time to play them!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

Somehow I knew. Now you just need time to play them!
                          Actually, Alison, I'm sitting listening to them through my headphones. Obviously, it's getting late but they seem to sound best through the cans. This is fascinating stuff!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

They arrived today...
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

You've got me very interested in this set, PG. Been buying far too many CDs lately so this has gone on to the Christmas wish list.

Incidentally, I find deliveries from Presto take a few days longer than the first class post that's promised.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X