Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Perhaps even more germane to the piano element of this thread - here is the performance which immediately preceded the above, with Cissie in male drag providing (possibly) more pianistic entertainment than RVW in his recently-unearthed piece... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuFy3...eature=related
    Marvellous stuff!

And here is Shirley Bassey showing why she is so beloved by gay men, and particularly ones like me who are cut from the same paper pattern as Les Dawson ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

[stick with it - the sound quality gets better once Shirley blasts the mikes into some semblance of order! Go, girl-friend!]

Comment

• amateur51

Yes I investigated the Ireland after the BAL on the piece, and indeed acquired the recommended recording I think. Pleasant, some touching sections - but it hasn't stayed with me, I'd have to say it's a second rate piece.

Don't know Rawsthorne at all, bar a piece or two I think I had to play as a child when learning the piano.

My comments about concertante piano works were really about the more traditional English composers - but if the net is widened to include all English works in that category from the first half of the 20th C, I'd put Britten's 'Diversions' for piano (left hand)

Yes, yes ... and don't forget Malcolm Arnold's Concerto for three hands which he composed for Phyllis Sellick & Cyril Smith after Cyril had a stroke. At its Proms premiere they had to reprise the final movement!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I wouldn't mind a Proms outing for ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkCee...eature=related .. either

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Yes, yes ... and don't forget Malcolm Arnold's Concerto for three hands which he composed for Phyllis Sellick & Cyril Smith after Cyril had a stroke. At its Proms premiere they had to reprise the final movement!
        I've played first trombone in a performance of that! With Sir Malc in the audience!! (see 'Composers wot I have stalked' thread)
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

I've played first trombone in a performance of that! With Sir Malc in the audience!! (see 'Composers wot I have stalked' thread)
          Yay full respek, Caliban! Was it an occasion to remember? - do tell!!

I treasure the recording & often trot it out to baffle would-be know-all friends

Mind, I say 'often' - it's usually just the once - they always get it second time around

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Yay full respek, Caliban! Was it an occasion to remember? - do tell!!
            It was - good performance by two young players, it's quite fun, garrulous music isn't it. The event was memorable sadly for the fact that Sir M had some sort of little seizure at the reception afterwards, and had to be ministered to by the young man who was his companion... He was helped out and whisked away. I just looked it up, it was in 1992 - he was not a well man but I see he lived for another 14 years after that.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

It was - good performance by two young players, it's quite fun, garrulous music isn't it. The event was memorable sadly for the fact that Sir M had some sort of little seizure at the reception afterwards, and had to be ministered to by the young man who was his companion... He was helped out and whisked away. I just looked it up, it was in 1992 - he was not a well man but I see he lived for another 14 years after that.
              A saint by all accounts - much more so that some Polish geezer playing mind games with nuns if you arkse me

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

I've never heard of the Arnold 3 hand PC? Must do a little investigation?
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  I've never heard of the Arnold 3 hand PC? Must do a little investigation?
                  Essentially a fun piece, BBM with a gorgeous Ravel-ian slow movement. The recording with the dedicatees, Phyllis Sellick & CyrilSmith, is a cracker

Comment

Working...
                  X