J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• rubbernecker

No doubt Ursula will be turning in her grave

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

"The Fantasia functions like a crucible of styles" i.e. a right old derivative mash-up...

Is it just me or did the early 20th C English composers not do piano and orchestra very well? Apart from Finzi's 'Eclogue' which is more of a miniature I suppose, RVW's piano concerto, Finzi's Grand Fanstasia and Toccata... they are near the bottom of the list of those composers' works that ...work, for me. Have I forgotten some fantastic piece which disproves this?
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          [B][I]
          Is it just me or did the early 20th C English composers not do piano and orchestra very well? Apart from Finzi's 'Eclogue' which is more of a miniature I suppose, RVW's piano concerto, Finzi's Grand Fanstasia and Toccata... they are near the bottom of the list of those composers' works that ...work, for me. Have I forgotten some fantastic piece which disproves this?
          The Moeran Rhapsodies? On second thoughts...

The Bridge Phantasm, now that is good

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
            The Moeran Rhapsodies? On second thoughts...

The Bridge Phantasm, now that is good
            A Phantastic piece indeed. Thanks, I shall look it out.

(That's what these boards should be for! Spreading the word, the knowledge and the lurrrrve. Not going round and round in bad-tempered circles about Bin Laden and Jesus )

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              "The Fantasia functions like a crucible of styles" i.e. a right old derivative mash-up...

Oh come now!

Let's not forget Dame Les Dawson, seen here fresh from her shift, waiting at table at the Tower Ballroom, Mevagissey

Les & Roy as tea room ladies! Thanks boys for the many hours of entertainment you provided. RIP Les. It's a great pity these gems are not available on com...

With apologies to Mandryka for any unintended gender-confusion ...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                No doubt Ursula will be turning in her grave
                Ah, but what authority did she have for withdrawing it? Had VW said anything to her? In which case, why didn't he do it himself? Or did she communicate with him after his death? It sounds too much like the widows who destroy their husband's work because it might sully their reputation. Think of Mrs Burton (no, not the one who's just died).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Oh come now!

Let's not forget Dame Les Dawson, seen here fresh from her shift, waiting at table at the Tower Ballroom, Mevagissey

Les & Roy as tea room ladies! Thanks boys for the many hours of entertainment you provided. RIP Les. It's a great pity these gems are not available on com...

Perhaps even more germane to the piano element of this thread - here is the performance which immediately preceded the above, with Cissie in male drag providing (possibly) more pianistic entertainment than RVW in his recently-unearthed piece... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuFy3...eature=related

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

This thread has been taken over by camp followers

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      It sounds too much like the widows who destroy their husband's work because it might sully their reputation. Think of Mrs Burton (no, not the one who's just died).
                      My thoughts exactly. But then how did it get past the RVW trust, whose trustees would have been under strict instructions from his widow not to let it out??

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

Caliban,
                        Here's my second attempt after a glitch on the system.
                        The Ireland Concerto is surely one success in the field, and it has always been popular, but perhaps it doesn't quite qualify as an early 20thC concerto.. Much as I love RVW, I find his Piano Concerto a failure, but others may disagree. The two Rawsthorne Concertos are well worth a hearing.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                          Caliban,
                          Here's my second attempt after a glitch on the system.
                          The Ireland Concerto is surely one success in the field, and it has always been popular, but perhaps it doesn't quite qualify as an early 20thC concerto.. Much as I love RVW, I find his Piano Concerto a failure, but others may disagree. The two Rawsthorne Concertos are well worth a hearing.
                          Yes I investigated the Ireland after the BAL on the piece, and indeed acquired the recommended recording I think. Pleasant, some touching sections - but it hasn't stayed with me, I'd have to say it's a second rate piece.

Don't know Rawsthorne at all, bar a piece or two I think I had to play as a child when learning the piano.

My comments about concertante piano works were really about the more traditional English composers - but if the net is widened to include all English works in that category from the first half of the 20th C, I'd put Britten's 'Diversions' for piano (left hand) and orchestra right up there with Finzi's 'Eclogue' as my two favourites. (Britten's piano concerto on the other hand, like VW's, I can take or leave - preferably leave.... )

As mentioned earlier, I must check out Rubbers's suggestion of the Bridge 'Phantasm'...

Comment

• makropulos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Oh come now!

Not really sure how there's any parallel with the Widow Burton - UVW certainly wasn't ever in the business of destroying RVW's withdrawn scores, but she was very uneasy about letting them - and earlier versions of more well-known works - being performed. That was her perogative, it think, but she knew that no interdiction would last beyond her death.

Incidentally, I wonder when someone is going to get around to the original version of the "Tallis Fantasia"? (recording it, I mean; it's been performed once or twice, including at least once - by a student orchestra - while UVW was alive).

Nice to see the Mathias concertos on the forthcoming disc as well.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                              Nice to see the Mathias concertos on the forthcoming disc as well.
                              Which is why I will most certainly buy it. For years, only his third was available, which is a very fine piece, albeit a bit Tippett-derived

Comment

Working...
                              X