Beethoven violin concerto. Campoli, Pritchard and the RPO...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
    I have a CD with the Beethoven (Campoli/Boult) which is coupled with an absolutely dazzling Mendelssohn (Campoli/Krips) When I first listened to the Mendelssohn it seemed to be in a league of its own. Top recommendation, IMVHO!
    I think the conductors are the other way round .

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
      I have a CD with the Beethoven (Campoli/Boult) which is coupled with an absolutely dazzling Mendelssohn (Campoli/Krips) When I first listened to the Mendelssohn it seemed to be in a league of its own. Top recommendation, IMVHO!
      As I wrote in a previous post:

The Mendelssohn was Campoli's favourite
      I have played many times with other worthy performers in this work, but for me no interpretation has ever come close to Campoli (and that includes my Goddess Ida Haendel*, whose playing I have always worshipped)

HS

* I feel the same about Ida's Brahms and Sibelius concertos, but that is going a bit too far off post.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

I have played many times with other worthy performers in this work, but for me no interpretation has ever come close to Campoli (and that includes my Goddess Ida Haendel*, whose playing I have always worshipped)

HS

* I feel the same about Ida's Brahms and Sibelius concertos, but that is going a bit too far off post.
        Is Campoli becoming the new Haendel on these boards?

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          I think the conductors are the other way round .
          Of course - I hadn't realised I'd got the order wrong - thanks.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
            Is Campoli becoming the new Haendel on these boards?
            Could be -both great but somewhat underrated violinists with almost instantly recognisable tone

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Campoli's Bruch Scottish Fantasy with the LPO /Boult is terrific . I suspect the coupling with the Mendelssohn was a 1950s best seller .

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Campoli's Bruch Scottish Fantasy with the LPO /Boult is terrific . I suspect the coupling with the Mendelssohn was a 1950s best seller .
                ...and an early Ace of Diamonds.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Went for a walk this sunny afternoon listening to Campoli/Krips Beethoven Violin Concerto . It really is a very beautiful performance and I should love to hear the Campoli Pritchard to compare if one day it escapes from the archives .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

As much as I suspect it will annoy Eloquence who are planning to release the Campoli Decca recordings a 10CD set has been released cheaply in the Milestones of A Legend series . As with the Morini set many of the CD timings are short but I note it includes the Campoli/Pritchard Beethoven as well as the Decca recordings.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Fantastic! Thanks Barbie.

Available for £12.87 on Amazon!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

HS

Have you read Ida Haendel's autobiography, HS? If you can track down a copy it's well worth it. What comes across is that even an artist of the calibre of her rare ability didn't have an easy time.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

As much as I suspect it will annoy Eloquence who are planning to release the Campoli Decca recordings a 10CD set has been released cheaply in the Milestones of A Legend series . As with the Morini set many of the CD timings are short but I note it includes the Campoli/Pritchard Beethoven as well as the Decca recordings.
                          I would be happier to see it as part of a Pritchard Icon box.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I would be happier to see it as part of a Pritchard Icon box.
                            Not much chance of that . The first disc I have played and the transfer of the Campoli/Pritchard seems excellent and no hanging about from them in the first movement .

It is a cracking performance and rather more unbuttoned than his earlier account with Krips .
                            Last edited by Barbirollians; 24-11-17, 01:51.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              I suspect there must now be more threads about Beethoven's Violin Concerto than any other work. There was the 2011 BaL (which I considered to be among the worst ever) followed by threads about specific recordings and one looking into personal preferences for having just a single version.

Normally, hosts would merge similar threads like these, and that could yet happen, but it is often interesting to dwell on specific recordings.
                              As a matter of interest, why was the 2011 BaL 'the worst ever'? Unfortunately I missed it.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Not much chance of that . The first disc I have played and the transfer of the Campoli/Pritchard seems excellent and no hanging about from them in the first movement .

It is a cracking performance and rather more unbuttoned than his earlier account with Krips .
                                The reason I suggested the Icon is because I'd be buying the box solely for that disc having bought Campoli from the Beulah issues and unless I'm mistaken will likely be better masterings than the copyright free transfers from vinyl.

Comment

Working...
                                X