Beethoven violin concerto. Campoli, Pritchard and the RPO...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Beethoven violin concerto. Campoli, Pritchard and the RPO...

I just googled Warner classics, (who probably own the master tapes for this recording after their takeover of EMI), and found they have a website with a 'contact us' facility. So I did! Perhaps if a few of us contact them they may well look into releasing this over looked gem.

Update. I checked out Campoli's earlier recording on Decca with Krips and the LSO and it's available from Amazon for £6.99.

Actually, I've just acquired it from eBay for £2.81 with free p&p. There's one more available!
    Last edited by pastoralguy; 31-10-15, 17:36.
  • verismissimo
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    I just googled Warner classics, (who probably own the master tapes for this recording after their takeover of EMI), and found they have a website with a 'contact us' facility. So I did! Perhaps if a few of us contact them they may well look into releasing this over looked gem.

Update. I checked out Campoli's earlier recording on Decca with Krips and the LSO and it's available from Amazon for £6.99.

Actually, I've just acquired it from eBay for £2.81 with free p&p. There's one more available!
    I'm sure you're right, pg, but speaking personally, I won't be letting go off my lovely, warm, mono LP version.

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Whilst on the subject of Campoli, seek out his performances of the Mendelssohn concerto. The definitive interpretation IMV

HS

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
        Whilst on the subject of Campoli, seek out his performances of the Mendelssohn concerto. The definitive interpretation IMV

HS
        I recall two - one mono with van Beinum on Ace of Clubs and the stereo on Ace Of Diamonds with Boult coupled with the Bruch Scottish Fantasia.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

His Elgar concerto is very special too. A very underrated player who was under recorded too.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

I suspect there must now be more threads about Beethoven's Violin Concerto than any other work. There was the 2011 BaL (which I considered to be among the worst ever) followed by threads about specific recordings and one looking into personal preferences for having just a single version.

Normally, hosts would merge similar threads like these, and that could yet happen, but it is often interesting to dwell on specific recordings.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              I suspect there must now be more threads about Beethoven's Violin Concerto than any other work. There was the 2011 BaL (which I considered to be among the worst ever) followed by threads about specific recordings and one looking into personal preferences for having just a single version.

Normally, hosts would merge similar threads like these, and that could yet happen, but it is often interesting to dwell on specific recordings.
              I would say this one should be retitled to Campoli Revisited

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

If anyone is really keen to get hold of it, the Campoli/Pritchard is available from i-Tunes as a download: two versions, one for £2.99 (courtesy of 'Sunday Club records') and the other for £7.99 (courtesy of 'Mastercorp Pty'). I would definitely try before buying, as it's possible that they have been taken from an LP, rather than the master tape (like the Bibliotheque Nationale de France version of the 1952 Campoli/Krips version). On the other hand, they may well have been sanctioned by what was EMI. Unless Warners decide on a John Pritchard Icon (possible but just a touch improbable), I doubt if they will ever re-release the Campoli recording, although I would very much like to be proved wrong.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                  If anyone is really keen to get hold of it, the Campoli/Pritchard is available from i-Tunes as a download: two versions, one for £2.99 (courtesy of 'Sunday Club records') and the other for £7.99 (courtesy of 'Mastercorp Pty'). I would definitely try before buying, as it's possible that they have been taken from an LP, rather than the master tape (like the Bibliotheque Nationale de France version of the 1952 Campoli/Krips version). On the other hand, they may well have been sanctioned by what was EMI. Unless Warners decide on a John Pritchard Icon (possible but just a touch improbable), I doubt if they will ever re-release the Campoli recording, although I would very much like to be proved wrong.
                  HD I did wonder about a Pritchard ICON but JP was not a conductor who spent a lot of time in the studios and scratching together an interesting box may not be easy.
                  I am very much of the opinion that the major record companies do not 'get' the classical buyer. If they dumped a load of recordings on download and sold them at the unit price per album that they sell their big box sets ie sub £2, they would make quite a few grey pounds.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    I am very much of the opinion that the major record companies do not 'get' the classical buyer. If they dumped a load of recordings on download and sold them at the unit price per album that they sell their big box sets ie sub £2, they would make quite a few grey pounds.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

There is, in fact, this download of the Pritchard/Campoli recording:

... alas, the sound samples reveal that it is an excruciating listening experience! (As if it's been recorded from a radio broadcast with someone holding a microphone wrapped in a tea towel in front of a mono speaker and swapping from hand-to-hand as their arm gets tired. )
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• visualnickmos
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        There is, in fact, this download of the Pritchard/Campoli recording:

... alas, the sound samples reveal that it is an excruciating listening experience! (As if it's been recorded from a radio broadcast with someone holding a microphone wrapped in a tea towel in front of a mono speaker and swapping from hand-to-hand as their arm gets tired. )
                        Probably not a million miles from the truth!

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

That brings back memories!
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

(As if it's been recorded from a radio broadcast with someone holding a microphone wrapped in a tea towel in front of a mono speaker and swapping from hand-to-hand as their arm gets tired.
                            Isn't that the way they broadcast the Proms?

Comment

Working...
                            X