Beethoven violin concerto. Campoli, Pritchard and the RPO...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
    Campoli's S-S3 appeared in mono and only many years later in the UK in real stereo on the Decca Eclipse label.

https://www.discogs.com/Saint-Sa%C3%...elease/4007683
    Would be a good one for Australian Eloquence with Havanaise and Intro And Rondo.

Comment

• mikealdren
      • Nov 2010

with the Kisch Bruch

Comment

• PJPJ
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Would be a good one for Australian Eloquence with Havanaise and Intro And Rondo.
        I agree! The first stereo release in the US was much earlier than the UK. S-S3 was partnered with the Paganini-Kreisler:

Rare & Collectible Vinyl Records - Serving customers around the world for more than 25 years

Nice sleeve, also used for the UK LXT release.

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Due in January........

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Yes I asked them about this last year on their Facebook page why they had not released much Campoli and they said these were on their way . The Membran set us a useful stopgap and of course the Campoli/Pritchard was an HMV recording .

Comment

• mikealdren
              • Nov 2010

Really exciting news for Campoli fans and my birthday is in January too!!!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

My 10 cd set, 'Milestones of a Legend' set has just arrived. First up is disc 10 The Beethoven Concerto with Sir John Pritchard conducting the RPO in 1962...

Comment

• mikealdren
                  • Nov 2010

Hi PG,
                  What's the sound quality like?
                  thanks
                  Mike

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Perhaps Warner should consider issuing the Campoli Prichard VC coupled with the Menhuin recoring of the Beethoven Romances also conducted by Pritchard.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                      Hi PG,
                      What's the sound quality like?
                      thanks
                      Mike

Not absolutely top class, Mike. It's a little dated and the soloist is quite close miked but still very acceptable. It's one of those recordings that once you get involved in the music, the ear adjusts.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Cloughie - I think Warner should own the rights to the Campoli/Navarra/Barbirolli Pye recording of the Brahms Double after EMI took over the Pre catalogue and issued them in their Phoenixa series . A better coupling I reckon .

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Cloughie - I think Warner should own the rights to the Campoli/Navarra/Barbirolli Pye recording of the Brahms Double after EMI took over the Pre catalogue and issued them in their Phoenixa series . A better coupling I reckon .
                          Maybe we should set up compilation consultancy Barbs!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

I wanted to wait for an opportunity to compare the Campoli Mendelssohn /Bruch coupling in the 10CD Milestones box with an earlier IMP reissue of the Decca original. To my mind the IMP is much superior, especially regarding Campoli's tone. The Milestones issue demonstrates a very whiskery top, verging on the shrill. The IMP sound, though not perfect, seems to me superior in all respects including the orchestral imaging.
                            I rather suspect that similar mastering faults occur in other CDs in the Milestones box, in the Saint-Saens Introduction and Allegro for instance where Campoli is far too prominent in the mono mix, too strident for comfort. Nevertheless it's very nice to hear the Bach Partita and the Handel sonatas, non HIPP I know but very enjoyable just the same.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                              I wanted to wait for an opportunity to compare the Campoli Mendelssohn /Bruch coupling in the 10CD Milestones box with an earlier IMP reissue of the Decca original. To my mind the IMP is much superior, especially regarding Campoli's tone. The Milestones issue demonstrates a very whiskery top, verging on the shrill. The IMP sound, though not perfect, seems to me superior in all respects including the orchestral imaging.
                              I rather suspect that similar mastering faults occur in other CDs in the Milestones box, in the Saint-Saens Introduction and Allegro for instance where Campoli is far too prominent in the mono mix, too strident for comfort. Nevertheless it's very nice to hear the Bach Partita and the Handel sonatas, non HIPP I know but very enjoyable just the same.
                              I listened to a couple of the 'Milestone' box set last night. Starting with the Elgar concerto, I had to turn it off half way through the first movement. The sound quality is, imho, pretty poor. Whilst I welcome any addition to the Campoli discography the sound reproduction is not good and it's a pity the transfers couldn't have been made with more care.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                                I listened to a couple of the 'Milestone' box set last night. Starting with the Elgar concerto, I had to turn it off half way through the first movement. The sound quality is, imho, pretty poor. Whilst I welcome any addition to the Campoli discography the sound reproduction is not good and it's a pity the transfers couldn't have been made with more care.
                                I don't think they are that bad - albeit there is some distortion at the end of the Lalo which is annoying .

Comment

Working...
                                X