X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Schubert 9 Orchestra Mozart/Abbado

I think Norman Lebrecht may be kicking off again next year .This arrived yesterday and I think it is fantastic. Stunningly played and recorded and whilst there is plenty of time to enjoy the many incidental beauties there is no suggestion at all of the piece overstaying its welcome and the whole performance is a joy from start to finish . Abbado was conducting at the height of his powers.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Assume you refer to the recent Orchestra Mozart recording, Barbs?

Yes, it is a magnificent recording and I much enjoy it but I do have to say that while I'm mostly ok with the repeats I really don't care much for the finale repeat. It sounds contrived and unnecessary to me. If I could choose just one performance that has it all it would be Haitink's 2015 Proms airing with the Chamber Orchestra of Europe and significantly Haitink omitted that finale repeat but included all others.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      I think Norman Lebrecht may be kicking off again next year .This arrived yesterday and I think it is fantastic. Stunningly played and recorded and whilst there is plenty of time to enjoy the many incidental beauties there is no suggestion at all of the piece overstaying its welcome and the whole performance is a joy from start to finish . Abbado was conducting at the height of his powers.
      Is this the Mozart Orchestra?

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

You are quite right my mistake it is the Orchestra Mozart.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

I wish DG would get the rights to release the superb Das Lied von der Erde Abbado recorded with vin Otter and Kaufmann and which was shown on Sky Arts.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

You are quite right my mistake it is the Orchestra Mozart.
            I've tweaked the thread title accordingly

I've cued this up for a listen on the big HiFi via Apple Music later this weekend
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Hiya Barbirollians,

I think it's a stunning live performance from Abbado and the Orchestra Mozart even if it's a mix of concerts from two venues in Italy. An account full of character and on my bog standard system it sounds excellent being vividly clear.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                I've cued this up for a listen on the big HiFi via Apple Music later this weekend
                What an absolutely wonderful recording! Right from the opening horn solo, the three-dimensional clarity, warmth and character of the sound (and of the individual instruments) are totally involving, coupled with the the quality of the playing and the shaping of the performance.

A winner, Barbs, you're right

(Update: the spring of the strings at the opening of the second movement is entrancing! It all makes that COE prom performance, which I've listened to 2 or 3 times, sound a bit two-dimensional and dull by comparison, to be honest)
                Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 26-09-15, 17:01.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

I have it too! The best!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...