X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CallMePaul
    • Jan 2014

Gramophone Record of the Year 2015

I was astonished to find out the result of this yesterday. I have only heard excerpts, but it did not strike me as the outstanding orchestral release of the last 12 months (I greatly enjoyed both runners-up, especially the Sibelius cycle which I heard live in Manchester 2 years ago), let alone the leading contender for Record of the Year. For the record (no pun intended), I voted in [I]Gramophone's[I] online poll for [I]Gerontius[I] conducted by Sir Andrew Davis and there were others I would also have put above the winner.

Norman Lebrecht has some pertinent remarks on his website: http://slippedisc.com/2015/09/gramop...h-certificate/, which you may or may not agree with, but I suggest that you read it and the comments below the article.

On a more positive note, it is good to see a far greater Brucknerian, Bernard Haitink, honoured for a lifetime achievement. Bruckner has played a great part in his long and distinguished career.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
    I was astonished to find out the result of this yesterday. I have only heard excerpts, but it did not strike me as the outstanding orchestral release of the last 12 months (I greatly enjoyed both runners-up, especially the Sibelius cycle which I heard live in Manchester 2 years ago), let alone the leading contender for Record of the Year. For the record (no pun intended), I voted in [I]Gramophone's[I] online poll for [I]Gerontius[I] conducted by Sir Andrew Davis and there were others I would also have put above the winner.

Norman Lebrecht has some pertinent remarks on his website: http://slippedisc.com/2015/09/gramop...h-certificate/, which you may or may not agree with, but I suggest that you read it and the comments below the article.

On a more positive note, it is good to see a far greater Brucknerian, Bernard Haitink, honoured for a lifetime achievement. Bruckner has played a great part in his long and distinguished career.
    Damn. I was hoping they would pick my favorite of the year, P.D.Q. Bach's Double Concerto For Sewage Pipe and Bleeding Roadkill, on the Can Belto label.
    It seems a lot of hooey over what is a sentimental gesture. I haven't heard the Abbado, and I can't recall ever hearing that combination of Conductor and Composer
    but the reviews that I have read in other publications have been mixed. If Abbado was alive and well perhaps the outcome would have been different. How does one decide the "best" disc, anyway?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      I haven't heard the Abbado, and I can't recall ever hearing that combination of Conductor and Composer

...for anyone who hasn't seen the "Winners":

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Funnily enough many of the reviews I have read have been raves of this performance .

Lebrecht is talking utter bilge as usual .
        Last edited by Barbirollians; 18-09-15, 22:05.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Anyone already bought anything from the shortlist, or earlier?

I had the Norgard 1 & 8 (Da Capo CD and download - the 8th is worth it!), and the Unsuk Chin Concertos on DG, both from the Contemporary List.
          Coupla days ago I bought the Budapest FO/Fischer Bruckner 7 from label-of-the-year Channel Classics at 24/96... haven't heard it yet, but a brief soundcheck suggested great things....
          At 56'45, even I might get through it in one go. That would make a nice change..
          Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 18-09-15, 22:23.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            The Andrew Davis Gerontius has been recommended a few times on this Forum, and I think Bryn (apologies if this is a mistake) was enthusiastic about the Smetana Quartets played by the Pavel Haas.

I have had my eye on The Spy's Choirbook for some time (read: "dithered").
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Yes I have the Davis Gerontius.
              It's a remarkable recording.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                http://slippedisc.com/2015/09/gramop...h-certificate/... I suggest that you read it and the comments below the article.
                The key point in the comments seems to me to be this:

"even Gramophone’s own original review was lukewarm. In fact, in the opinion of the original reviewer, not only was this not a mega-standout recording, it wasn’t even the best Bruckner 9 released this year (as the reviewer makes clear by referring in far more glowing terms to the recent Haitink/LSO release)"

Here is that original review.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

"even Gramophone’s own original review was lukewarm. In fact, in the opinion of the original reviewer, not only was this not a mega-standout recording, it wasn’t even the best Bruckner 9 released this year (as the reviewer makes clear by referring in far more glowing terms to the recent Haitink/LSO release)"

I see RC mentions Leipzig Gewandhaus/Blomstedt for the 9th again - this was the cycle from which those marvellous original versions of Bruckner 2 and 3 were drawn, as I mentioned on the Bruckner Recent Recordings thread a few days ago... very special.

Didn't anyone else here buy that DaCapo Norgard 8th? That does seem sad for such an astoundingly beautiful new creation... (if I remind you that it's the Vienna Philharmonic ​playing it might that be the push you need?)

With this world premiere recording, the Vienna Philharmonic offers new perspectives on the most visionary voice of Nordic music and one of the greatest symphonists of our

Listen to unlimited or download Per Nørgård : Symphonies Nos. 1 & 8 by Sakari Oramo in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 19-09-15, 01:58.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

I had the Norgard 1 & 8 (Da Capo CD and download - the 8th is worth it!), and the Unsuk Chin Concertos on DG, both from the Contemporary List.
                    Coupla days ago I bought the Budapest FO/Fischer Bruckner 7 from label-of-the-year Channel Classics at 24/96... haven't heard it yet, but a brief soundcheck suggested great things....
                    At 56'45, even I might get through it in one go. That would make a nice change..
                    I bought the Fischer. It isn't bad, but it isn't particularly memorable as a performance. It is a very nice recording, but I think I detect a little of the mixing room dial turning that plauged the Mahler 5 from the same source; the dynamic levels will occassionally change in a way that seems unrelated to the playing.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Fanfare had a similar review.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Sorry about the sarcasm in #2--I was angry because a free Muti/CSO Grant Park Concert that we had been planning to attend had just been called off due to torrential rains we are having. I'll go sulk in my Ark now...

Comment

• mahlerei
                          • Jun 2015

I see RC mentions Leipzig Gewandhaus/Blomstedt for the 9th again - this was the cycle from which those marvellous original versions of Bruckner 2 and 3 were drawn, as I mentioned on the Bruckner Recent Recordings thread a few days ago... very special.

Didn't anyone else here buy that DaCapo Norgard 8th? That does seem sad for such an astoundingly beautiful new creation... (if I remind you that it's the Vienna Philharmonic ​playing it might that be the push you need?)

With this world premiere recording, the Vienna Philharmonic offers new perspectives on the most visionary voice of Nordic music and one of the greatest symphonists of our

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/per...464?qref=dac_5

Yes, an extraordinary work; that release was one of my MWI Recordings of the Year for 2014.

And while I agree Abbado's BrUckner 9th is a mildly controversial choice for Record of the Year there are many wonderful things in it. I wouldn't want to be without him or Haitink.
                          Last edited by mahlerei; 19-09-15, 12:53.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Richard Osborne very positive about it in his note accompanying the award .

I have listened to it this evening and it is extraordinarily beautiful IMO. The Adagio in particular .

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mahlerei View Post
                              Yes, an extraordinary work; that release was one of my MWI Recordings of the Year for 2014.

And while I agree Abbado's BrUckner 9th is a mildly controversial choice for Record of the Year there are many wonderful things in it. I wouldn't want to be without him or Haitink.
                              Two of my favourite conductors of Bruckner
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X