• Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Indispensable recordings 31.08.2024. Proms Composer 7: Bruckner

2.15 pm
    BBC Proms Composer Bruckner

William Mival joins Andrew to discuss five indispensable recordings of BBC Proms Composer Bruckner and explains why you need to hear them.
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Furtwangler : Berlin 5th 1942, Vienna 8th 1954, Cairo 7th, 1951, Berlin 9th, 1944.

Bohm, Vienna 4th, (Decca).

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Symphony No. 8 VPO/Karajan (1988)
      Symphony No. 8 VPO/Furtwangler (1944)
      Symphony No. 4 VPO/Bohm (1974)
      Symphony No. 5 Concertgebouw Orchestra/Jochum (live 1986)
      Symphony No. 9 VPO/Karajan (live 1976)
      Symphony No. 7 VPO/Haitink (live 2019 DVD)

I know that's six but that's the way it is!
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Symphony No. 8 VPO/Karajan (1988)
        Symphony No. 8 VPO/Furtwangler (1944)
        Symphony No. 4 VPO/Bohm (1974)
        Symphony No. 5 Concertgebouw Orchestra/Jochum (live 1986)
        Symphony No. 9 VPO/Karajan (live 1976)
        Symphony No. 7 VPO/Haitink (live 2019 DVD)

I know that's six but that's the way it is!
        That’s an excellent list. I am not sure which Haitink 7 that is, since I believe that there are about 9 available, and the ones on on my shelf are with the CSO, Amsterdam, and Bavaria, but I’m sure he and the VPO get on well tot. I wonder if Smittens mistyped Furtwangler 8 as 1954 but meant to reference this recording?

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

That’s an excellent list. I am not sure which Haitink 7 that is, since I believe that there are about 9 available, and the ones on on my shelf are with the CSO, Amsterdam, and Bavaria, but I’m sure he and the VPO get on well tot. I wonder if Smittens mistyped Furtwangler 8 as 1954 but meant to reference this recording?
          There is a VPO/Furtwangler recording of the 8th from April 24 1954 which I have on the Andante label and that could be the one referenced by smittims. However, the sound is very poor though it may since have been remastered.

The Haitink 7th is from one of his farewell performances (this one in Salzburg) and as I was present at their London performance four days later I had to choose this one. Any of Haitink's recordings of the 7th would do just as well as all are fine.

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

Yes, I did mean 1954 for the Furtwangler 8th. Orfeo did an excellent remastering for their 2012 18-disc box of Furtwangler's Austrian Radio tapes. It includes a VPO performance of Furtwangler's second symphony, arguably better than his DG studio recording, and the complete 1954 S. Matthew Passion , issued in abridged form by EMI in the 1990s.

Comment

• oliver sudden
              • Feb 2024

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              Orfeo did an excellent remastering for their 2012 18-disc box of Furtwangler's Austrian Radio tapes.
              VADE RETRO SATANAS

There’s a fine 1949 performance in the Audite box too.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

The 1944 Furtwangler sounds excellent and is downright terrifying when the doom music rolls in

Comment

• CallMePaul
                  • Jan 2014

Any "indispensible" Bruckner collection surely needs to include some of his church music! My favourite of the masses has to be that in E minor, for which I have Kings' College /Cleobury (his last recording with the choir and coupled with fine performances of some of his shorter liturgical works). I would also include the Vienna Philharmonia Quintet in the F major string quintet.

As for the symphonies, my favourites are nos 5 and 7 and would probably opt for Haitink's BR Classic performance with the BRSO in no5 and any of his versions of the seventh, but would add an honourable mention for Hans Rosbaud in the latter symphony, the first Bruckner recording I bought over 50 years ago as a Turnabout LP. The recording is probably NLA but I've not checked. My fifthe choice would be either Klemperer/ New Phil in the sixth or Bruno Walter/ Columbia SO in the ninth.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                    Any "indispensible" Bruckner collection surely needs to include some of his church music! My favourite of the masses has to be that in E minor, for which I have Kings' College /Cleobury (his last recording with the choir and coupled with fine performances of some of his shorter liturgical works). I would also include the Vienna Philharmonia Quintet in the F major string quintet.

As for the symphonies, my favourites are nos 5 and 7 and would probably opt for Haitink's BR Classic performance with the BRSO in no5 and any of his versions of the seventh, but would add an honourable mention for Hans Rosbaud in the latter symphony, the first Bruckner recording I bought over 50 years ago as a Turnabout LP. The recording is probably NLA but I've not checked. My fifthe choice would be either Klemperer/ New Phil in the sixth or Bruno Walter/ Columbia SO in the ninth.
                    I did consider including the Cleobury/KCC recording in my own selection but I'd already chosen six when only five were required, so stuck to the symphonies.

The Jochum recordings of the sacred music have long held sway and I could have chosen those too!

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

Yes, that 1949 Furtwangler 8th is interesting because there are two of them , recorded on consecutive days with the Berlin Philharmonic , but quite different interpretations. One early reissue confused the two and contained passages from both. The studio recording , from 14 March , has been on a Testament CD.

The 1944 9th is indeed remarkable. It was an evening when for some reason there was no air raid. Shortly afterwards the buidling was destroyed by the Royal Air Force. No wonder there is a tension about that performance.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Rosbaud/Bruckner 5th and 7th currently available individually and/or as part of a set from Amazon, Presto and eBay.

Comment

• mikealdren
                          • Nov 2010

I came to Bruckner via Horenstein's 9th and I still find it excellent.

Comment

• edashtav
                            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            Yes, that 1949 Furtwangler 8th is interesting because there are two of them , recorded on consecutive days with the Berlin Philharmonic , but quite different interpretations. One early reissue confused the two and contained passages from both. The studio recording , from 14 March , has been on a Testament CD.

The 1944 9th is indeed remarkable. It was an evening when for some reason there was no air raid. Shortly afterwards the buidling was destroyed by the Royal Air Force. No wonder there is a tension about that performance.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

The Rosbaud Seventh was my first Bruckner, also the Turnabout lp. It is available on Apple Music

Comment

Working...
                              X